Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 10th August 2010, 20:17   #136
Team-BHP Support

DKG as usual, its just mind blowing!!! I knew something really good was coming up, so i never read the thread till now and waited for it to be complete. The best decision i made and what a thread!

You and your team are real special, i atleast haven't personally come across anything close to this in India for car restoration!

Cheers
Jaggu

Beautiful car, beautiful team and a even more beautiful restoration. 5 Star rating goes!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 22:23   #137
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I knew something really good was coming up
Thanks Jaggu. Am glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Combo picture I was trying to put
Ram I personally would have preferred the top on MDR to look like the ones on the other cars. But given the new set of bows what has turned out really is the best I could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
She looks fantastic Deepak, you must be so proud. I love the underside finish and detail, it is the mark of a quality job. I also think the plates look neat in period US style, though a tad out of place to see in an Indian car.
I assume the exhaust is stainless steel? I was told that these units are prone to crack after high usage, and was recommended MS instead. I'm asking as I'm in the midst of restoring my Tiger 100 bike, and I have been suggested MS bent pipes and SS mufflers.
I opted for the stainless primarily because these older cars drip water through the exhaust like a leaking tap. Everytime I start MDR there's a puddle of water on the floor. The MS silencer wouldn't last 5 years max.

I am not aware of the cracks aspect on stainless systems. Besides given the fact this car will be sparingly used (as compared to how it may have been used when new) it shouldn't be much of a problem. Karlos you have to hear the sound of this exhaust. Its to die for !! Simply outstanding sound. Crisp like some tabla playing out through the pipe.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 22:35   #138
BHPian

I only wish I could support or be witness to DKG's efforts. I've been witnessing some amazing automobile works of art(literally) right from these restorations , to his 4x4's and then to top it all off , we had the DIY camper. Alas, someday my traveling shall reduce and i get to spend time in Hyd to inspire myself further .

OT : how are the danes doing?
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 23:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
She looks fantastic Deepak, you must be so proud. I love the underside finish and detail, it is the mark of a quality job. I also think the plates look neat in period US style, though a tad out of place to see in an Indian car.
I assume the exhaust is stainless steel? I was told that these units are prone to crack after high usage, and was recommended MS instead. I'm asking as I'm in the midst of restoring my Tiger 100 bike, and I have been suggested MS bent pipes and SS mufflers.
Karlos

There is absolutely no issue with SS and SS bellows are used in exhaust system having temperature up to 600 dec C. The higher the carbon content, the harder and stronger is the steel metal, along with more chances of fracture (brittle). And since SS has higher carbon content, .. Another fact is that some times the condensate from the exhaust if acidic in nature and this may lead to steel corrosion cracking.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 09:55   #140
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Since so many of you have a keen interest in the subject perhaps I should share an aspect of this assignment which earlier I didn't feel necessary to highlight but now feel is very relevant to share with you all.

Very early on in the restoration I realised that I was attempting to apply too high a standard, far exceeding the skill/talent set of the technicians in my team. I realised if I were to push them any harder than I was already it would demotivate the team and render the whole project a non starter. Further the costs involved would triple and it would have taken me easily an additional year at the very least to achieve higher standards in the finish.

Often I found myself needing to step in and do things myself so that the team don't get overly worried about ensuring success. Things like setting the differential, cam and conrod bearings, laying out the wiring, adjusting the brakes, setting up the distributor, the timing and the carb had to be done by me so that the team didn't feel the pressure in doing these things right. Often I sensed they were scared and overwhelmed when working on many components as it was alien to them and totally puzzling.

My presence at all times and my willingness to do things myself was really a key element in boosting their morale and making them push themselves harder.

In the end this is a triumph of human endeavour where people push their envelope of competence and set whole new standards. In one year I can see they are new men, more confident, much higher self esteem. Not to mention they have earned massive respect from their peer group as everyone is awed at the achievement in the workshop.

So to my eye there are still a 101 areas where we could have done better. But in the end it was about using existing talent, guiding them to achieve very high standards and above all enjoy what they did.

When I see the sense of ownership and passion with which the team steps forward everytime I ask for something to be done I realise the approach we adapted was a healthy nurturing attitude and the end result is very impressive.

Its about people, and human endeavour.

Restoring MDR 200 was a remarkable experience in many ways. Not just in the spectacular improvement in the car but in the development of people in the process

I am sure if we ever get a chance to do another car the team will push themselves to even higher standards.

It was great fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
how are the danes doing?
adorable as ever. hope you are well

As for the subject of the last bow one of the reasons why I left it as is was because if I were to cut the ends to reduce the size the arms would end up being thicker than the third bow arms and would look odd. There was a risk of totally buggering up the bow as I would have to rework the insides of the arched corners to fit on the frame. While aesthetically I would have preferred it to be shorter than it is on the flip side the headroom is great and you feel very comfy sitting in the back.

Last edited by DKG : 11th August 2010 at 10:06.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 10:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,

When is car scheduled to go back to Chennai? If not will it be in HYD for some more time? Would really love to see it before the "newness" wears off

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:55   #142
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Deepak,

When is car scheduled to go back to Chennai? If not will it be in HYD for some more time? Would really love to see it before the "newness" wears off

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
There are some tiny issues to attend to and then I will send her across. Maybe early next week
Old 11th August 2010, 22:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

Sorry DKG, should have been more clearer in my earlier post. There is no issue with the top bow which is exactly as it should be. The issue ias with teh linew of the side overhang of the top not being parallel top the the line of the top of the doors / body.

This has give the cancvas a more chunky look instead of the smooth flow thru look that should have been there.

On the whole the car looks fantastic and one would be a fool to drive it around with the top up anyway so this is all academic !
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 10:02   #144
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The issue ias with teh linew of the side overhang of the top not being parallel top the the line of the top of the doors / body.
Wasif we did just that to ensure it is parallel !! For some strange reason it is not appearing so in the picture. Only where the top of the front door curves up to the dash the distance to the top narrows. But all the way from the rear to the front its a steady 13.75 inches.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:27   #145
BHPian

Good Evening DKG ,

I have read this thread over the last 2 days , wonderful job , sir . A superlative restoration , which is going to serve as a benchmark for all restorations attempted hence . Hats off to you and your team for the quality of the work accomplished.

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 09:47   #146
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Chauhan. Is your Packard convertible ready? Its such a beautiful car
Old 14th August 2010, 12:37   #147
BHPian

Default Chassis Number

Sir,
Can u pinpoint the exact loaction of the chassis number on ur chevy, prfereably marking the loaction on a photograph. I,m not able to locate the same on my 34 chevy. I could find the Engine number on the right hand side of the engine on a plate.
Cargaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 15:47   #148
DKG
Senior - BHPian

MDR 200 makes her first public appearance at a independence day car show in Hyderabad. With huge trees providing shade the car looked even more gorgeous outdoors

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0001.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0002.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0004.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0011.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0006.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0007.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0008.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0009.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0017.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0020.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0021.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0023.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0025.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0032.jpg
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 15:52   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
MDR 200 makes her first public appearance at a independence day car show in Hyderabad.
What an amazing effect! Congratulations - and celebrations! My salute to you on this day Sir!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 16:20   #150
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up What a Restoration!

Deepak Saab, I had seen this thread a few weeks back and slowly over the next few days had read the restoration upto to the point wherein you had the engine started.

But work took its toll and I couldn't finish reading the thread. But when saw this thread again today and thread through the last few pages and all I can say is what a restoration job. I think this looks even better than what it might have when it rolled out of the factory.

Hats off to you and your restoration jobs!

I hate myself for not waking up early and coming to Lumbini Park to see the beauty in flesh. May be you can provide me audience to see the car before she makes her way to Madras.

P.S: BTW in the picture of MDR 200 at your home, could you please let me which is the off white colour car standing behind on the left? Looks like a FIAT
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote