Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 21st June 2010, 17:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Hello DKG,

I second Ajay's comments.The final outcome is breath taking.Kudos to you and your wonderful team.

Regards,

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 21st June 2010 at 17:23. Reason: Comments
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 22:24   #77
BHPian

Default Videos please!!

Hi DKG,

Could you please upload a video of how the beauty looks and sounds like after a fresh lease of life (read sanjeevani) from you?

regards,
adg_andy
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
This is just the reason why I get parts and shop manuals. Takes the guess work out of restoration and you don't have to rely on hearsay and so called "expert opinion" to figure out what's original

The part numbers for single action shock absorbers for 1933 Chevrolet passenger and 1/2 ton cars are:
Sir this is no guess or opinion. Just something what i noticed i thought i would post. I will post the pics of the 1933 chevy in our workshop when it comes to this stage so that it would be clarified. Should have done that earlier though.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:32   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir this is no guess or opinion. Just something what i noticed i thought i would post. I will post the pics of the 1933 chevy in our workshop when it comes to this stage so that it would be clarified. Should have done that earlier though.
You are still missing the point !!

Indrojit its quite possible that your conclusion that 33 Chevies came without shocks may not be an accurate deduction based on cars you have seen. The absence of shocks on your car is no indication of cars being sold without shocks. Posting pictures of cars missing shocks doesn't prove any thing either. Ultimately the correct source of info on what is standard and what is not is the parts manual.

Last edited by DKG : 22nd June 2010 at 09:40.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:42   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are still missing the point !!

Indrojit its quite possible that your conclusion that 33 Chevies came without shocks may not be an accurate deduction based on cars you have seen. The absence of shocks on your car is no indication of cars being sold without shocks. Posting pictures of cars missing shocks doesn't prove any thing either. Ultimately the correct source of info on what is standard and what is not is the parts manual.
It is quite possible sir. I would like to point out here that i have come across 2 chevy's which are both on this forum , one is the 33 chevy in our workshop and the other is a chevy big 6 little later. The point is i have seen boh the cars with work goin g on their brakesand suspension. Now atleast in these two cars there were no shock absorbers. I understand your point but then is it possible that out of 3 cars 2 do not have shock absorbers and 1 does? Probably the reason could be that this could be a fitment of the Master Phaeton which may also clear that the car in our place is not a PHAETON. Will do some more research on this.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:09   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

In all probability, the Chevy should have shox. This was not an option, it was fitted. It became an option when the shox wore out and were thrown away. When they were failing, they became rigid and became very noisy(squeaky), there were few who bothered to get them repaired and throwing them away was a frequently used option.

Now, for example, just go and check all Ford A's you can see. 9 out of 10 will not have any shox, but all Ford A's originally came with them.The real option often seen was in the wheels, wire wheels vs solid disc wheels.
I am afraid that DKG has got it right, shox were very much a part of original fittings on these cars when supplied new and they were not an option.

There are 4 part nos for these because the front and rear had different fittings, and each set again had a left and right side, making it a set of 4.

Maybe the 2 Chevies being referred to are not complete?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 22nd June 2010 at 19:11.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:46   #82
BHPian

Excellent work DKG !!..Truly amazing...One of the best vintages that I have ever seen !
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:20   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi!

In all probability, the Chevy should have shox. This was not an option, it was fitted. It became an option when the shox wore out and were thrown away. When they were failing, they became rigid and became very noisy(squeaky), there were few who bothered to get them repaired and throwing them away was a frequently used option.

Now, for example, just go and check all Ford A's you can see. 9 out of 10 will not have any shox, but all Ford A's originally came with them.The real option often seen was in the wheels, wire wheels vs solid disc wheels.
I am afraid that DKG has got it right, shox were very much a part of original fittings on these cars when supplied new and they were not an option.

There are 4 part nos for these because the front and rear had different fittings, and each set again had a left and right side, making it a set of 4.

Maybe the 2 Chevies being referred to are not complete?

Cheers harit
Hi

Well there is a probability of this but not sure.Now if they did come with shocks then there would be the fixing points somewhere on the suspension either in front or at the back? It can't be that they would remove the fixing points off along with the shocks since they are normally not detachable.

There is a picture of one of them with out the wheels and the brake drums . - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...pu-sircar.html
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:17   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi

Well there is a probability of this but not sure.Now if they did come with shocks then there would be the fixing points somewhere on the suspension either in front or at the back? It can't be that they would remove the fixing points off along with the shocks since they are normally not detachable.

There is a picture of one of them with out the wheels and the brake drums . - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...pu-sircar.html
Indro, look be rational. Please show a catalogue, manual, close-up pictures that eliminate the possibility of shox having never been fitted. The pictures shown by you lead me to believe that you have never seen such shox fitted to these type of cars. Even my humble 1926 Fiat had these. There are brackets fitted somewhere near the bottom end of the springs, these plates are often removed and thrown away when the suspension is dismantled. The other end fits below the mudguard. And then you say that there is a probability of what I say, but you are not sure. That is what I understood from your post. Why not do a little 'Dekho' and R&D, and then come back? I maintain that all these cars had shox. And DKG has manuals, they definitely count more than your unclear pictures and your probabilities. Please be logical.
BTW, how many Ford A's have you checked in the meanwhile for shox? All these so called cars without the shox are INCOMPLETE.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd June 2010 at 00:23.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:40   #85
DKG
Senior - BHPian

[quote=IndrojitSircar;1949147]Now if they did come with shocks then there would be the fixing points somewhere on the suspension either in front or at the back? It can't be that they would remove the fixing points off along with the shocks since they are normally not detachable.

Indrojit when a restorer tries to justify something by reverse logic he is treading uncertain territory. Why the reluctance to use shop and parts manuals as your reference guide? Its so simple to follow them. Why rack your brain trying to assume things when you can clear your doubts by reading through the appropriate section.

For your info the shock body attaches to the chassis through bolts. The knee action arm passes through a hole on the leaf spring u bolt plate. This is the system to attach both front and rear shocks.

As Harit has correctly pointed out the habit was to trash the shock absorber completely as many couldn't repair these. It comes off very easily, all you need to do is undo some bolts. So the attaching points are basically some holes in the frame and one on the u bolt plate. I am travelling tomorrow otherwise I would have taken some pictures.

I still recommend that you procure shop and parts manuals when you undertake a restoration. Its close to impossible to do a proper restoration when so much is left to guess work and hearsay.

Quote:
All these so called cars without the shox are INCOMPLETE
You are very correct !! These cars do appear to be incomplete.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indro, look be rational. Please show a catalogue, manual, close-up pictures that eliminate the possibility of shox having never been fitted. The pictures shown by you lead me to believe that you have never seen such shox fitted to these type of cars. Even my humble 1926 Fiat had these. There are brackets fitted somewhere near the bottom end of the springs, these plates are often removed and thrown away when the suspension is dismantled. The other end fits below the mudguard. And then you say that there is a probability of what I say, but you are not sure. That is what I understood from your post. Why not do a little 'Dekho' and R&D, and then come back? I maintain that all these cars had shox. And DKG has manuals, they definitely count more than your unclear pictures and your probabilities. Please be logical.
BTW, how many Ford A's have you checked in the meanwhile for shox? All these so called cars without the shox are INCOMPLETE.

Cheers harit

Hi,

I agree sir i need to get in closer pics. These pics were the ones avaiable for the time being. I know sir where they are fitted , i have seen them in the 1927 chevy tourer that was there for a long time in our workshop. Anyway i will go by what you and DKG have been saying that these cars were incomplete since even i checked the workshop manual and parts catalouge last night. But i certainly need to check the mounting points out as soon as possible.

In the mean while i have seen the ford A in our workshop when it had come and it did have the shocks. There is another Ford A in calcutta
which has got shocks also so these are complete.

Quote:
Indrojit when a restorer tries to justify something by reverse logic he is treading uncertain territory. Why the reluctance to use shop and parts manuals as your reference guide? Its so simple to follow them. Why rack your brain trying to assume things when you can clear your doubts by reading through the appropriate section.

For your info the shock body attaches to the chassis through bolts. The knee action arm passes through a hole on the leaf spring u bolt plate. This is the system to attach both front and rear shocks.

As Harit has correctly pointed out the habit was to trash the shock absorber completely as many couldn't repair these. It comes off very easily, all you need to do is undo some bolts. So the attaching points are basically some holes in the frame and one on the u bolt plate. I am travelling tomorrow otherwise I would have taken some pictures.

I still recommend that you procure shop and parts manuals when you undertake a restoration. Its close to impossible to do a proper restoration when so much is left to guess work and hearsay.
Hi DKG,

I agree and i did use them last night to clear this out.They are indeed mentioned according to what you said . I need to check if these holes are mentioned. I have the workshop manuals and parts catalouges for all the restorations done and have one for this. But the thing is i needed to get this before i could say it with certainty. We always get the work shop and parts manuals before we starting off but then the work hasn't been started as such. It was only prepared for a test drive to check the mechanical work to be done and that time it was seen that it doesn't have shocks.

Thankx DKG and harit for pointing this out.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Indrojit

If you are looking for conventional / modern mounts on the chassis for the dampers ( they are actually refered to as dampers not shox) then you will not find them.

The ones on cars of these period are actually just bolted to the chassis and if they are not present it is hard to picture them.

Look at Ford Model A's and you will see some without dampers and some with them and they are also very similar to the Chevy's as they too bolt on to the frame.

Now like the Chevys of that age all Ford Model A's came fitted with dampers and now you will hardly find any present on the surviving cars.

Like it has been pointed out it is imperative to procure the official manual or at the very least a parts catalogue of any car that you plan to restore to be sure of what the car came with and what is missing

Below are pictures of the Chevy " Dubonnet knee action" dampers
Attached Images

wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:23   #88
BHPian

Wow, WOw and a bigger WOW. I've learnt so much from this thread and it's been presented in such a detailed manner that I could very well visualize what was happening. I love the new look of the dash - fantastic choice. But I noticed that the clock was missing - was it because it's not a part of the original.
My first thought after seeing the pictures on the first page was that DKG would have had to be crazy to even think of restoring such a “good looking” car. But I stand corrected. Hats of to you sir – a job very well done. Am waiting eagerly to see the completed job.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd June 2010 at 18:03. Reason: Removing formatting tags. Please do not copy paste from external editor.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 18:34   #89
BHPian

Wonderful restoration job Deepak Sir. The paint finish is just as much immaculate.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 19:57   #90
BHPian

What a exquisite restoration work! I am overwhelmed by the whole process involved, IMPRESSIVE!

I am a fan of this thread now! Congrats & applause to @DKG!

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th June 2010 at 02:51. Reason: only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully, thanks
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote