Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe

Old 16th June 2015, 09:17   #91
BHPian

Default Re: How many KMs a day is feasible on a long ride?

My longest day trip on a bike was Chennai to Thekkady way back in 1993, just about 560 Km. Those were the days when it was a single road all the way the Dindugul to Thekkady was in a terrible shape. It was a 14 hour trip with a long stop of 4 hours in Trichy. The bike was my RD350 and it was with a pillion all the way.
Longest trip by car was to Madikeri, just about 620 KMs. It took us about 11 hours if I remember right. We had a quite a few stops on the way.

But my most memorable ride was from GovindGhat to Lansdowne in 1992. We were returning from a trip to Valley of flowers and decided to take detour on the way to Delhi. The distance was only about 275Kms, but all in the mountains. The roads were in superb condition. Again it was with a pillion and we averaged about 25Kmph.

Last edited by arulpeem : 16th June 2015 at 09:21. Reason: Adding content
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:30   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In my Opinion, 400-500 km spanned out in 10 hours is the best deal. Anything more than that is tiring. This equation change in mountains. I never did more than 200 km in a single day in mountains. However, this purely depends on what kind of motorcycle you are riding and during which season.

I covered more than 500 km many times in a single day. My longest ride (by RE 350 Classic) in a single day was Rohtak to Ahmedabad (946Km) in 18 hours with 4 small stops.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 22nd February 2018 at 09:32. Reason: Motorcycle named added.
SJM1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:07   #93
BHPian

It all depends on the road and vehicle

1. Road: I have covered more than 500+ Kilometers in Thunder Bird 350 (Noida to Jammu). Smooth roads relaxed driving. Where as in Ladakh doing 250 kilometres will sap all your energy.

2. Vehicle: After upgrading to Thunderbird 500 travelling became less stressful. Which means if you have bike with bigger engine more distance can be covered. TBTS 350 gets vocal by the time you cross 80 (60-70 is relaxed, and safer too as you will be able to stop pretty quick) whereas TBTS 500 gets vocal beyond 100 (70-90 is relaxed, beyond 80 I don't feel confident in braking in emergency). In big bikes like Z800 I found it to be quite relaxed in 120 (though not safe in that speed in our roads but brakes are great).

Even though many bikes are capable of doing high speeds, the stopping distance and the confidence they inspire on braking is lacking. Add to that dangers in the form of cows, pot holes, speed breakers etc are plenty on Indian roads.

So my suggestion is to enjoy the ride, ride safe even if you need extra time.
kozhissery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

An average of about 350-500 kms on a motorcycle in a day can be done depending on the motorcycle, rider, road and weather conditions. Anything beyond 500 kms in a day would warrant going at either higher speeds or increasing riding time. The distance covered drastically goes down while riding on ghats, hills and mountains. But then again it depends from rider to rider. I for one like to take in the scenery, interact with people and take adequate stops while riding. For me destination is not as important as the riding journey is.

The numbers can go up if one is driving a car and again it depends on the driver and the car. Average would be around 400-600 kms in a day. Only thing is one wouldn't feel as tired while driving a car as riding a motorcycle. Like others have mentioned safety for me is prime hence I keep my cruising speeds below 100 KMPH unless I see an open stretch where I can increase the speed.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 19:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

While we may Live to Drive and are addicted to driving, but we cannot expect our passengers to feel the same.

So my answer is it will depend on who the passengers are.
If its a family road trip, 500kms in a day is reasonable.
This number can go down if there is a small child/infant in car.

But if its a trip with buddies sharing driving duties, then 700-800 would be a decent number.

Above distances are assuming we are driving on Dual carriage National highways.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote