Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 11:42   #76
BHPian
 
joybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 47
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Today's news:
"Mr Shekhawat, who worked as a sales manager with an automotive company, was returning home on Wednesday night on his superbike, a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R, which costs about 22 lakh rupees and can reach speeds close to 300 km per hour.

While crossing the JLN Marg, he reportedly tried to avoid two people who were crossing the road, but ended up losing balance and hit them."

Underlines again why India is not a safe place for super bikes. There is simply no place where things that cannot be foreseen will not happen. And on any bike, one is exposed to other peoples stupidities and follies much more than in even a Nano. On any bike, and on a fast super bike, even more so.

It seems that the man even had an appropriate helmet, but it did not help.

I see people buying these bikes in India these days and putting their lives on the line when there is no economic need for them to do so and I wonder - what do they know that I do not?

And I say this having used bikes in India since 1977, till I could afford a car.

One only hopes that those with dependants that ride these have hefty accidental death/disability/hospitalisation policies with up to date premium payments. Because Death is often riding pillion.
Hello sir....looks like you have all sorted but bikes or cars, stupid people pay for mistakes on the road. Safety gear like helmet is not a guarantee.
I own and ride 2300CC rocket since 2015. Now planning to buy another big bad bike and do not think that big bikes are NOT for India. Big bikes which touch 200+Kms can be ridden in control and with manners. Says who that big bikes means high speeds? Yes sir I have a big insurance policy. It's been there not because of the big bike but its because in India morons are found in every form and every way
joybird is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 14:17   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,555
Thanked: 1,415 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Says who that big bikes means high speeds?
I thought that was their prime function? Why else have a 200 plus capable bike - unless just for posing with it? And based on how I see people riding these, I was led to believe it was one or the other.

I have the same question of supercars as well - except that those often kill other road users as well.

We do not have the infrastructure and culture that allows these vehicles to be driven/used at even 50% of their potential.
Sawyer is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 14:33   #78
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 909
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I thought that was their prime function? Why else have a 200 plus capable bike - unless just for posing with it? And based on how I see people riding these, I was led to believe it was one or the other.

I have the same question of supercars as well - except that those often kill other road users as well.

We do not have the infrastructure and culture that allows these vehicles to be driven/used at even 50% of their potential.
Then lets just allow the 100CC commuter bikes & 800CC cars to be sold in our country since the infra is not good enough for anything more powerful ?

BTW 200plus capable bikes doenst mean you will ride at those speeds - it makes riding at normal cruising speeds on 100-120 on the highways much more comfortable and less tiring.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 14:42   #79
BHPian
 
Porschefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 379
Thanked: 851 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I thought that was their prime function? Why else have a 200 plus capable bike - unless just for posing with it? And based on how I see people riding these, I was led to believe it was one or the other.

I have the same question of supercars as well - except that those often kill other road users as well.

We do not have the infrastructure and culture that allows these vehicles to be driven/used at even 50% of their potential.
Hi Sawyer, I sort of disagree with your statements here.

I agree that we do not have the infrastructure to realize a high capacity motorcycle's full potential. But then, normal roads are never meant for that anyway. Even in the western world, one can buy a Ninja H2 or a Panigale Superleggera but they still have to adhere to the speed limit on the road which sometimes is as low as 20-30 mph. So, does that mean the people who're fortunate with the Vitamin M factor stop buying these bikes? No.

Accidents can happen with/to anyone, that is the unfortunate truth. You can see riders/drivers driving at explicit speeds on their Splendors and Altos (no offence meant to any owners) while there are people who maintain the speed limit on their big capacity machines. Bad or good infrastructure (read - roads) will never influence people from buying something they want to. It is also not the case where tomorrow, if I buy a liter class superbike and do not achieve 300kmph on a public road, its purpose is not served, isn't it? I've the money, I've the time and I've the capacity to ride it responsibly, hence I buy.

To summarize, I like to believe that automobiles are never designed to kill anyone, its the nut headed moron who drives/rides it, does.

Last edited by Porschefire : 17th December 2017 at 14:46.
Porschefire is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 14:47   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,555
Thanked: 1,415 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

I do not believe there should be any restrictions on what is sold; we have far too many restrictions and bans on far too many things in India as it is.

That does not mean it makes sense to buy every thing that is for sale just because it is available and one has the means to buy it.

And it must be an age thing, so we will just have to agree to dis I do not possess either the skills or the risk appetite to drive even my car on any Indian road at 120 kmph. Given that, that it tops out at 160kmph plus is useful to allow safe and quick overtaking at much lower speeds. But a car that does 250 kmph plus would be an utter waste/overkill even for that aspect.

PS: that silly icon came there on its own, somehow.

Last edited by Sawyer : 17th December 2017 at 14:50. Reason: PS
Sawyer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 20:38   #81
BHPian
 
bigron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: chandigarh,melbourne
Posts: 616
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

I believe a restriction or a ban is an easy way out undertaken by those in the system. It mostly covers up for the lack of intention, capability , infrastructure or general miss-match between the aspirations of the law makers and the citizens.
In India a 100 cc commuter is as dangerous as a 1000 cc super bike. In fact, all things being same a 100cc commuter at 70 kmph is more lethal than a 1000 cc super bike at the same speed.
Just like banning Tints on all cars was not a solution to solving the problem of rape banning super bikes is also not a solution to prevent accidents.
Education, government programs and having a proper licensing system in place that ensures that an 18 year old is not riding a death machine is the only way we could hope this nation becomes a responsible road user.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 21:17   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,308
Thanked: 5,086 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Accidents don't happen, they are caused.

Don't want to add anything further.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 10:37   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,729
Thanked: 840 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

It's sad to read that the rider died because the helmet couldn't be taken off in time.
Almost all high end modern helmets have straps at the bottom which can be tugged at to remove the cheek pads.
This enables the helmet to be removed very easily. Hope our emergency crews are trained in this and this system is made mandatory on all helmets.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 11:47   #84
BHPian
 
narula123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai / D.dun
Posts: 379
Thanked: 480 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I thought that was their prime function? Why else have a 200 plus capable bike - unless just for posing with it? And based on how I see people riding these, I was led to believe it was one or the other.

I have the same question of supercars as well - except that those often kill other road users as well.

We do not have the infrastructure and culture that allows these vehicles to be driven/used at even 50% of their potential.
I would disagree with you on certain points in your argument. First and foremost, a big bike is not for top-speeds or for becoming rossi on the roads. Again, it is a mindset thing more than the machine's fault. I know several superbike owners who know the risks and keep their wrists in check despite having enough power to break the sound barrier.

You are right that our infra is horribly antique - whether it be for pedestrian crossing or for good roads. Any tractor, cattle, jaywalker can pull out on you on the national highways due to poor barricading and lack of a proper service lane. But what do you do when a moron in a car turns infront of you suddenly without a proper signal? I would rather be on a big bike with better brakes and electronics to give me a better chance of survival than on a 150cc commuter.

I agree with you that big bikes dont make any economic and practical sense, but then since when has motorcycling appealed only to the mind? Everytime we put that helmet on, we are aware of the risks it carries but the wise ones choose to ride keeping a factor of safety for the unexpected risks on the road.

Its unfortunate everytime a rider goes down. But banning a bigger bike is a knee jerk reaction at best.
narula123 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 14:52   #85
BHPian
 
bigron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: chandigarh,melbourne
Posts: 616
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

This ideology that when a super-bike crash happens, the rider was surly trying to become a rossi on the road stems from the fact that you have 18 and even 16 year old's zipping all over the place on these death machines . The notion is not misplaced.

They will continue to give a bad name because daddy dearest does not have the heart to say no to apple of his eye and our system allows for such fatal indulgence.
I can still feel a touch of loathing when I tell people what I ride. All because hordes of teens bought the Fat Gixxer, made it noisy as hell and crashed them all over the place.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 07:29   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: chennai/neyveli
Posts: 108
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

After riding 390 for almost 4 years and 70k kms, there are plenty of roads in india where one can easily cruise at 110-120 kmph. Roads are not the problem, people's mindset is. Noone cares about the rules and ultimately the biker gets into trouble for no fault of his. If this has to change, strict punishment is to be given to these jaywalkers. I had a heart in mouth situation just two days back while going to my hometown, this man in his early 40 decided to cross the highway without even looking at whats coming. Thats how stupid or lazy, people are!

Everyday, many are being mowed down and crashed onto by state buses and lorries that ply on our roads. Mind you, most of them can't even touch 90 kmph, does this mean our infrastucture is not enough for vehicles to ply at 60 kmph ? Blaming infrastructure and vehicle for people's ignorance(especially jaywalkers) is just plain stupidity, that too in a forum like this.

Last edited by nitninja : 21st December 2017 at 07:34.
nitninja is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 09:19   #87
BHPian
 
Vasuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Venice of East
Posts: 340
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post

If this has to change, strict punishment is to be given to these jaywalkers. I had a heart in mouth situation just two days back while going to my hometown, this man in his early 40 decided to cross the highway without even looking at whats coming. Thats how stupid or lazy, people are!

Blaming infrastructure and vehicle for people's ignorance(especially jaywalkers) is just plain stupidity, that too in a forum like this.
This debate started of with 10R crash. I would like to reiterate some points mentioned in the other thread. It is :
1. Night Driving
2. Night Driving
3. Night Driving.


trust me had a real scary experience, hence avoid as much possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Really sad to know of this tragedy. Young man sigh. Heartfelt condolences to his family.

Most people are not used to D-Ring type strap and hence was not able to helmet not otherwise. This is mentioned in the link below.

https://www.rushlane.com/rider-dies-...-12258569.html

Basically I strongly detest night riding. Have seen in this forum where riders have bragged their night drives at insane speeds.( Please excuse the harsh language).

Don't know why manufactures take serious look into the headlight setup in bikes. It is really pathetic to say. I'm using Z800 and can say the setup is just useless during night. And can say this applies to most of the bikes/ super bikes from the feedback received(Multistrada & Ninja 1000 may be a exception here).

Yes this doesn't at all help rash driving / over speeding.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 10:18   #88
BHPian
 
outofthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Noone cares about the rules and ultimately the biker gets into trouble for no fault of his. If this has to change, strict punishment is to be given to these jaywalkers.
You are absolutely right in saying that jaywalking is a big Indian problem compared to rest of the world. We compete with animals when it comes to jaywalking - especially across six lane high speed expressways!

You mentioned about lack of rules - that is the other side of this coin. We can't put the blame solely on jaywalkers for crashes like this. If a rider is aware that jaywalkers and animal problem exists, then why knowingly ride on public roads like a race track?

Lastly, there is a reason why in other countries, before one is issued a high capacity motorcycle riding license, about 60% of time in the multi year course is spent on emergency braking skills - its not a naturally acquired skill gained just by riding 1000s of kms - it needs to be learned in a formal training environment.

Last edited by outofthebox : 21st December 2017 at 10:21. Reason: readability corrections
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 11:18   #89
BHPian
 
Vignesh_N/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MAS
Posts: 116
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
If a rider is aware that jaywalkers and animal problem exists, then why knowingly ride on public roads like a race track?
We need to leave this country then. Or ride at 40 kmph everywhere. Even then, I dont think we will be safe.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 12:01   #90
BHPian
 
outofthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
We need to leave this country then. Or ride at 40 kmph everywhere. Even then, I dont think we will be safe.
You've hit the nail on the head buddy. That IS the reality of our country and the elephant in the room which Superbike brands operating here don't want you and I to think about - because it will kill their sales.

Just because one is now able to buy a European superbike in India does not mean that indian road and traffic conditions have suddenly transformed themselves into Europe.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supercar & Import Crashes in India zibby Super-Cars & Imports in India 1729 5th February 2018 10:41
Air India Express Flight from Dubai crashes at Mangalore airport - Over 160 Dead sidindica Shifting gears 114 29th May 2010 14:04
2 fatal superbike crashes - Mumbai bikefreak Street Experiences 22 26th March 2006 20:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks