Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe

Old 20th February 2018, 14:49   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Terribly sad news. Pune-Mumbai old highway has some really dangerous speed breakers and all it takes is a moment to take life. May his soul rest in peace.

OT: Why does media have to highlight top-speed of the bike when it most certainly has no connection to the incident? The era of sensationalism has meant that even the least bit of dignity is carelessly tossed out of the window.
ksameer1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 15:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 76-year-old biker dies after hitting unmarked hump on Pune highway

RIP Mr Aga

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I often wonder in anger an anguish about all the loss to personal property and life that occurs due to the pathetic state of our roadworks.... We should be able to sue the government for this but I am unsure and hoping people who understand or practice law can chime in here.
There are multiple cases reported from various cities and suburbs of late where speedbreakers pop up overnight. Most of them are built unscientifically and have no warning signs for riders/ drivers to slow down.

From what I remember seeing in the mainstream media, there have been some attempts to sue the civic authorities for shoddy work and lack of planning resulting in fatalities. However, I have never seen till date any ruling that brings heavy (or even reasonable) consequences to the perpetrators of such accidents. At least one example comes to mind where a biker lost his life due to a protruding manhole cover a couple of years ago in Pune. No idea what is the progress on that case.

There are just so many fatalities without any accountability for shoddy road work. The level of apathy is painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
OT: Why does media have to highlight top-speed of the bike when it most certainly has no connection to the incident? The era of sensationalism has meant that even the least bit of dignity is carelessly tossed out of the window.
The media nowadays always likes to build in some judgement of their own while reporting. Completely against the generally accepted principles that journalism used to stand for. Forget dignity, there is no sensitivity. It is almost like the report is about the bike and the human being involved is just a passing note.

Last edited by selfdrive : 20th February 2018 at 15:20.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 15:56   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It saddens me to share this piece of news.
Knew I'd be seeing another post from you here.

While I'm sure it's no pleasure to update this thread, it does serve as a worthy reminder to all those reading as to just how dangerous our roads are, especially for 2-wheelers.

Another exceptional gentleman's life lost due to poor & negligent infrastructure.

Quote:
Pune-Mumbai old highway has some really dangerous speed breakers and all it takes is a moment to take life.
Actually it seems that speed breakers on National Highways are illegal - only rumble strips are allowed :
Govt. Order: No speed breakers on National Highways

In fact, a biker BHPian had 17 illegal speedbreakers removed from the Hyderabad - Goa route :
Raised a complaint with the Govt's PG Portal website

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2018 at 16:14.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 16:10   #109
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

An MV Agusta crashed with a Honda Activa. A 21-year-old girl along with her 13 years old brother was riding on this Activa. The Agusta motorcycle was brand new without RTO registration number.

Quote:
On December 21, Maitri Talati, a commerce stream student of Zen School, was returning home on her two-wheeler with her 13-year-old brother Dev riding pillion near Zydus Hospital in Anand town. After being knocked down by the biker identified as Kevin Patel, Maitri died on the spot while Dev suffered serious injuries. A group of 50 people including the deceased's parents submitted a memorandum to district collector and superintendent of police to act against the accused Kevin Patel. On Sunday too, over 2,000 people including students of the school in which Maitri studied took part in a rally demanding action by police.
New source:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62259268.cms

Motorcycle After crash.

Name:  agusta.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  80.0 KB

Activa after Crash.

Name:  activa.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  84.7 KB

Victim's father asking for justice via Twitter.

Superbike crashes in India-ds7eglevaaawufm.jpg

Last edited by SJM1214 : 20th February 2018 at 16:32.
SJM1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 17:17   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Actually it seems that speed breakers on National Highways are illegal - only rumble strips are allowed :
Govt. Order: No speed breakers on National Highways
I saw this earlier and while Lonavala to Pune route is nearly free from speed breakers, Mumbai to Lonavala stretch is especially notorious with those monstrous ones. I wonder which interpretation of the Govt. order allows erection of such bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
An MV Agusta crashed with a Honda Activa. A 21-year-old girl along with her 13 years old brother was riding on this Activa.
The image of letter indicates that girl was 16 year old, clearly not a valid age for possessing driving license for Activa. Also, the father mentions bike's speed as 175 kph!! While the pain and grief is certainly beyond all bounds, why overstate facts?
ksameer1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 09:30   #111
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The image of letter indicates that girl was 16 year old, clearly not a valid age for possessing driving license for Activa. Also, the father mentions bike's speed as 175 kph!! While the pain and grief is certainly beyond all bounds, why overstate facts?

Yes! The image of the letter indicates that girl was 16 years old and the news says she was 21.

I am from the same city & I knew Kevin(friend's friend). I know the road where this accident happened and I m sure 175Km/h is not possible on this road. However, I am sure that Kevin must have been fast( very fast). The motorcycle was brand new and his girlfriend was with him as a pillion.
SJM1214 is offline   Reply With Quote