Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe

Old 14th January 2018, 23:45   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post

Stop the planet, I need to get off!!
I don't think it's that bad around the world, we just need to change our culture, where poor are treated as people who suffer, hence they can get away from all kind of offence, most of them will not have insurance, they ride on the wrong side of the road, they don't wear helmets, rides will be in terrible condition, list goes on!

Law and emotions shouldn't be confused, if a poor man takes his 4 kids and wife on his bike, punish him, else someone will get beaten up if he makes a mistake and crashes into someone, if a school going minor rides on public road, punish them, not taking action will only make them try braking more rules.

I have little hope that things will change in our country, until we give our emotions a break.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 10:52   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Personally I'm not very sure about this. Rather than being a show of unity, villagers might perceive it as a show of wealth / power / strength further infuriating them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
^ Would have been better had 10-15 riders would have gone, met the affected family as well as few people from there and explained there side of story as well as heard their grievances. (If they have to do something)

With ample police protection if I may add.
I believe a combination of both would go a long way in easing the tensions and apprehensions. The riders, with prior information to the local authorities and the family, ride to the village, meet the family and express their condolences and afterwards have a brief interaction with the villagers to clear some apprehensions. Also the police could tell the villagers about how to cross a highway safely and risks of driving/riding on the wrong way, as could be seen in a video posted here. In fact they could show the video to the villagers.

Most importantly, they need to emphasise the point of how they can hold a person who is responsible for some accident in future without resorting to violence.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 15th January 2018 at 10:55.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 13:13   #183
BHPian

It would be interesting to know if any action was taken against the mob at all. Or if even a formal complaint was registered? Anyone has any updates? Part of the problem is that these things are easily forgotten by the public at large. We accept them as the vagaries of living in a nation such as ours and simply never follow up. Wonder if communities like Team-bhp help drive follow-up action on part of the authorities.
Annibaddh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 18:36   #184

There is no justification for the loss of life incurred here, especially given the context of riding for pleasure. The grief of losing a child is insurmountable; however on the other hand there is no legality or logic in mob justice too. No matter how much we debate, the mistake will always fall on the bikers. Not just in this case, have seen a lot of them around Pune too.

80% of the time, the bikers are actually at fault and they should own up. For instance, tell me how many of us follow speed limits strictly? Or for that matter, how many of the well-known riding groups have banned vehicles with unauthorized components like silencers on RE?

Biking has become a new way to show off and mint money. A cool ride, flashy gear and a whole lot of pollution on social media and to the environmental that's all. Gone are the days where you had people going out with their bikes wearing non striped helmets and basic protection just for relaxation of the soul. There are still a few such souls out there, such incidents will only add to their loss.

Regarding mob justice, it is totally wrong; but as intellectuals we need to understand that we donít live in an ideal world. Pedestrians cannot be disciplined. To add to that almost everything is emotional /sensation driven from the clothes we wear to the political party we vote. God forbid such situations occur in future, if you still got a chance, one should go to the police/legal authorities and surrender, outcome be of good or bad.
skyocean is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 09:17   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Biking has become a new way to show off and mint money. A cool ride, flashy gear and a whole lot of pollution on social media and to the environmental that's all. Gone are the days where you had people going out with their bikes wearing non striped helmets and basic protection just for relaxation of the soul. There are still a few such souls out there, such incidents will only add to their loss.
That is a pretty damning statement to make. Are you saying someone wearing safety gear for their protection or riding a good motorcycle is a way for that person to showoff? That is plain bias and one that should not be encouraged. If you are saying that one needs to wear only basic protection and non striped helmet for "relaxation of the soul", you could not be further from the truth. There is a reason why safety gear exists and why they need to be used. The fact that some maybe flashy could also be due to the fact that they stand out and are visible when on the highway for safety reasons.

If anyone is wearing safety gear they should be encouraged and not ridiculed.

Quote:
Pedestrians cannot be disciplined.
And why is that? A pedestrian is a pedestrian as long as they are at the side of the road. The moment they decide to jump into the middle of the road at non-designated spots (Zebra crossings) they are jaywalkers and could easily become death walkers. They should and need to be disciplined. It is not fair to always blame the motorist for every single accident.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 10:41   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
Are you saying someone wearing safety gear for their protection or riding a good motorcycle is a way for that person to showoff? If you are saying that one needs to wear only basic protection and non striped helmet for "relaxation of the soul", you could not be further from the truth. There is a reason why safety gear exists and why they need to be used.
No offense brother. Neither did I say that, nor did I mean it in anyway. Safety first, thatís what we all stand for and believe in. Analogies are references, and are not for presumptions. I so wish not to generalize,but somewhere we have to agree that today, biking is heading to more of euphoria then the actual hobby itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
They should and need to be disciplined. It is not fair to always blame the motorist for every single accident.
Like I said, we don't live in an ideal world. Instead of debating on things that cannot happen, why not reason out the practicality of the situation .Yes, itís not fair to blame the motorist I completely agree on that, but in such situations can anyone convince the fuming public about the same to avoid such incidents from happening in future ? Why face the wrath of a mob just to prove a point, All I meant was life is precious both the pedestrians and the bikers too.
skyocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 12:03   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I so wish not to generalize,but somewhere we have to agree that today, biking is heading to more of euphoria then the actual hobby itself.
At the risk of going OT, I think the utter omnipresence of social media is seriously affecting our world view. Instead of forming opinions of what we see and know we now form our opinion based on the things that are shown to us. Biking circles were always like this, 70% posers and 30% who couldn't care less. Earlier you could only know about them, both the posers and the people who were genuinely in it to travel, only if you yourself rode and made conscious efforts to get to know more people. Now you just facebook and instagram do that work for you. You get your opinions served on a silver platter for you to consume. I dont know if more people are aware of this but your instagram feed and your facebook timelines are just huge echo chambers of people who think the same way as you do. Even if you are friends with someone who tends to lean on the opposite spectrum of your interests, you will not see their updates. Rather you'll be shown things that facebook thinks(and knows rightly) that you like even if you are not a friend of that person(ex: All the xyz commented on abc's picture/status/album posts where abc is not your friend at all). Not pointing at you, or anyone, its just the general trend these days and not just about motorcycling but about everything in general.

Coming back to the thread at hand, if anyone learnt a lesson, its the biker. And the lesson he learnt was rather pointless, that if you break a law, you wont be accountable to the law enforcement agencies at all, and that its upto the mob to do justice. I think there might be at least 200 people involved in this incident? All these 200 people learnt the same lesson and will propagate these thoughts were ever they go.

PS: All the "We as intellectuals" comments are pretty cringe-worthy IMO, Just because we know how to use the forum, internet, the English language and know a few things about the objects around us, doesn't make us intellectuals
ashwin1224 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote