Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 12:23   #2581
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 145
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Hi, quick question, is it allowed to carry bike's slip on exhaust or helmet in the check in baggage? I would like to buy an akra for my motor bike and take it with me to India. Thanks!
drive_angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 12:37   #2582
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Hey Guys!



1. ARAI RX7X
2. Shoei - X-Fourteen (Marquez edition)

I would appreciate some pointers on ownership or riding experience w.r.t above helmets. I am open to seeking suggestions on other options as well.
Hello,

Both these helmets are track spec lids and meant to be used predominantly in the full tuck position. A friend has the X14 and used it on his z900. They vent a lot, but that also means that they are extremely noisy. My friend was very disappointed by the wind noise levels and could not really maintain a full tuck position all the time on the highways. He hardly does track days, so it was a bit of a bummer.

Do look at lids that work for both touring as well as semi tuck positions on the highway. They will be noticeably quieter, and cheaper. The Shoei will run you over 35k INR (Friend got it from Revzilla), and the ARAI is going to be closer to 50K INR AFAIK.

A better Shoei option is the RF1200, I think. Do look up reviews online. Its a lot less aggressive and therefore more forgiving. It is SNELL approved.

Please also try and make sure you visit a store that takes your head measurement and head shape into account. Most stores that sell ARAI will have a fitting expert at hand. A helmet this expensive, better fit like a womb over your head.
Red Liner is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 14:21   #2583
BHPian
 
Amey Kulkarni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: All Over!
Posts: 205
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A better Shoei option is the RF1200, I think. Do look up reviews online. Its a lot less aggressive and therefore more forgiving. It is SNELL approved.

Please also try and make sure you visit a store that takes your head measurement and head shape into account. Most stores that sell ARAI will have a fitting expert at hand. A helmet this expensive, better fit like a womb over your head.
Thanks for pointers which will definitely benefit me on the purchase.

The basic objective is to pick-up a League - 1 brand helmet for weekend touring, corner carving etc. Thus, looking for a silent helmet with less wind noise but well ventilated.

There is no plan for track days as of now. So, will look at Shoei RF1200 and similar range of helmets.

I will be visiting stores who offer ARAI and so on; who as you mentioned would be able to measure the sizes of my head, analyse the shape of my head and recommend a suitable helmet for the aforesaid mentioned application.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 14:21   #2584
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 883
Thanked: 616 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I Attachment 1739414Attachment 1739415
Just bought an Axor helmet. Have no idea about the model name or number. Costed me 4,000/-
Just bought it so cant give a review.
Although just in my 2kms ride, i felt the MT axxis was much prone to wind noise. This one seems a BIT more noisy.
What has been your experience with Axor. I had bought an Axor P-2 in 2015 for my Duke. This was when the brand was launched. The company outlet (Vega Helmet Store) in Goa had it for Rs.2500/-. They said it was Rs.5000/- and there was a 50% off. I did receive a lot of criticism on another forum for buying it but it did serve me well and continues to do so. Apparently this was from the lot that Vega imported before starting to manufacture the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I had seen the Nexx XR1 Carbon and loved the look. That model is discontinued now, there is the XR2 Carbon Pure among the XR2 range (of which I like some other, non-carbon models too).
Quote:
But the one thing several reviewers mentioned for the Nexx XR2, was the vision - the upper quadrant in particular. So I decided that was going to be it. I wanted the black+orange graphic most, but it's not available anywhere. The black+yellow looks more like neon-green, which I like too, but decided to get the black+red theme.
How much did you pay for it? I'm looking to upgrade my helmet in anticipation of a new bike. I had seen the XR1 in 2015 when I purchased my Axor but at 22K it was beyond my budget then.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-11099619_10153295966723833_2085184614_n.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-11139820_10153295966503833_1342753837_n.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-11157939_10153295971853833_596501867_n.jpg  

pedrolourenco is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 13:01   #2585
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
You will be spoilt for choice out there in Japan I am sure! Nail it between a Shoei or an Arai and you will not regret it!

One word of caution - any helmet with a peak - be ready for some vibrations and trust me -- they are BAD!
Shubz, thanks to you and another mate here who rides the Ninja 1000 in Hyderabad.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20180216wa0013.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20180216wa0014.jpg

The same thing is the Quantum ST Pro in Europe, and the Quantum X in the Americas.

I have also figured out now, after 3 lids, that my actual helmet size is XS (53-54 cms - and tending more towards 53). HJC CL17 - Medium (56-57), now with my younger bro, and fits him spot on. AGV K5 - Small (55-56) had to use a balaclava to keep it tight. Now the Arai, fits like a glove.

Last edited by Red Liner : 4th April 2018 at 13:03.
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 13:39   #2586
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,813
Thanked: 989 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Awesome! Congratulations on the new lid! I would be anxiously waiting for your review of this helmet. Particularly with the pro-shade in open position.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 17:14   #2587
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Awesome! Congratulations on the new lid! I would be anxiously waiting for your review of this helmet. Particularly with the pro-shade in open position.
Why, you have one with the pro shade, what gives?

I have already ridden about 1000+ kms with the Arai, across trails, twisties, and open highways.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 17:26   #2588
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,813
Thanked: 989 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why, you have one with the pro shade, what gives?

I have already ridden about 1000+ kms with the Arai, across trails, twisties, and open highways.
Yes I have the one with the Pro-Shade system. and when I ride with the pro-shade visor up, its noisy!

Arai is a Very comfortable helmet but way more noisy than my Shoei GT Air & both have the BT comm units hanging out.

Did you not find it noisy?
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 19:51   #2589
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Yes I have the one with the Pro-Shade system. and when I ride with the pro-shade visor up, its noisy!

Arai is a Very comfortable helmet but way more noisy than my Shoei GT Air & both have the BT comm units hanging out.

Did you not find it noisy?
I use earplugs.

Have you tried lowering or ratcheting up the pro shade visor by a step? I did not find wind noise with the pro shade up any different from when it was down. I will ride again, and keep my ears open (lol) just on this aspect.

A friend got the GT air and was deeply disappointed by wind noise levels. So i did not venture to the dark side.

At the moment i find the pro shade system a little fidgety. Getting used to it while riding takes some time. I also have to work around a few ventilation elements.

Removing the goddamn visor off the arai is like getting brake calipers off the bike.

I will need to ride a few 1000 kms more to come back with more definitive feedback.

Did your comm speakers fit perfectly into the sides? No discomfort after install when you wear it? I haven't yet installed mine.

Last edited by Red Liner : 4th April 2018 at 19:53.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 19:56   #2590
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,813
Thanked: 989 Times
Default

Looks like it's different for each. A friend of mine and I both bought the same at Bolgona. Even he said it's noisy. I have tried various positions. It's noisy even when fully down. I use cotton buds as I'd like to hear the calls and music and communication with other riders. I still find it pretty noisy compared the the GT air. May be it's all got to do with head shape.

Do let me know your observations
🤞🏽
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 20:16   #2591
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Looks like it's different for each. A friend of mine and I both bought the same at Bolgona. Even he said it's noisy. I have tried various positions. It's noisy even when fully down. I use cotton buds as I'd like to hear the calls and music and communication with other riders. I still find it pretty noisy compared the the GT air. May be it's all got to do with head shape.

Do let me know your observations
🤞🏽
Use 3m ear plugs. I doubt the cotton balls are a patch on these. I use ear plugs with my comm system. No problems hearing stuff at all. 3m plugs are rated for specific decibel levels. I am not a sound engineer, but thankfully not deaf yet after using these plugs.

Are you sure the noise is only because of the pro shade? What is the noise level when down fully and visor sealed tight?

If you have similar noise levels with the shade down, my next question is what is your measured hat size in cm?

Most indian and asian head shapes are round, including mine. All of north America and Europe are long oval or intermediate oval head shapes. In japan or Singapore, you do not get Arai in long or intermediate oval, though available in that head shape as the signet in the americas.
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 20:42   #2592
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,813
Thanked: 989 Times
Default

Can clearly hear the whoooshhh when the shade is up. And even when the shade is down the noise levels are much higher than in my shoei. The foam plugs cuts off all sounds. Don't they?
Hat size -57 cms.
The next helmet worth trying is the Schuberth 😆
Arai's are round of course.

I had used the 3M foam plugs earlier on the shoei. But I wasn't able to hear the music or incoming calls.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 21:37   #2593
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Haha. I can hear stuff with my ear plugs. Hope you're not deaf already

They dont really isolate you completely, no. You still need to be hyper observant though, and keep eyes on those mirrors.

I think the shoei probably just works better for you. Schuberth are supposed to be the quietest, but i am not a fan of modulars (heavy) and the shell sizes are much bigger. Even then i have read conflicting reviews about the schuberth wrt wind noise.

Do note that your shoei has a superb shield sealing mechanism which locks the visor against the rubber gasket. That should seal a lot of air out as well.

I really think you should try both lids again with the 3m plugs and then write back here.

You also get something fancy called no noise ear plugs that apparently cut out only wind noise. Why dont you try that before you spend more money on a new lid.

Did you also try a size smaller than what you measured to see if your head would go in? I went through a whole bunch of arai helmet fitting videos and almost every single person who did the fitting went one size smaller with the arai than what they measured for an alternative brand.

Last edited by Red Liner : 4th April 2018 at 21:42.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 18:54   #2594
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,813
Thanked: 989 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Haha. I can hear stuff with my ear plugs. Hope you're not deaf already

They dont really isolate you completely, no. You still need to be hyper observant though, and keep eyes on those mirrors.

I think the shoei probably just works better for you. Schuberth are supposed to be the quietest, but i am not a fan of modulars (heavy) and the shell sizes are much bigger. Even then i have read conflicting reviews about the schuberth wrt wind noise.

Do note that your shoei has a superb shield sealing mechanism which locks the visor against the rubber gasket. That should seal a lot of air out as well.

I really think you should try both lids again with the 3m plugs and then write back here.

You also get something fancy called no noise ear plugs that apparently cut out only wind noise. Why dont you try that before you spend more money on a new lid.

Did you also try a size smaller than what you measured to see if your head would go in? I went through a whole bunch of arai helmet fitting videos and almost every single person who did the fitting went one size smaller with the arai than what they measured for an alternative brand.
Deaf already - Hell No! I can hear very well. Lol

Yes Shoei just works perfect for me! Wish they came up with newer models
The windshield sealing works to perfection!

I shall try the Arai with 3M plugs (the orange plugs with an orange thread, right?) I donated a pouch full of them among the rider buddies.

Those No-noise ones are so silicon based ear plugs, they are killers. terrible pain shoots up once worn with the helmet (again, based on how the ears/ear canals are shaped). I did try them once on my Shark helmets though.
The speakers on both, Arai & Shoei - push them inwards making it painful.

Schuberth - even i am not a great fan of Modular, but leaning towards giving it a try. Waiting for the new C3 Pro series.

Size smaller - Yes I did try a size smaller at the Bologna store - almost suffocated to death out there wearing a size smaller.

Nothing better than Trying & Buying as far as Helmets are concerned!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 19:13   #2595
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Deaf already - Hell No! I can hear very well. Lol
3m orange plugs yes. Give them a shot. They are to be used only for a day, throw them away at the end of the day. And look up youtube on how to insert them into your ear canal, makes a huge difference!
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct? Spinnerr Technical Stuff 11 22nd June 2009 13:00
Need Help/Tips in Buying Used Lancer in Hyderabad rajatkumar Sedans 11 19th February 2008 17:15
Tips needed for buying a Used Zen mithun Hatchbacks 12 30th August 2007 01:56
Secondhand Avenger buying tips realmumbhai Motorbikes 7 28th September 2006 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks