Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 07:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: How much will you pay for a collision avoidance system and other systems

I am not willing to pay for such a system as after market. If I wanted any gizmo in my car, I would by a model that comes with it. I have seen this very system discussed here in a friends Merc more than a decade back.

AFAIK the best collission avoidance system in my car is me!
Old 6th May 2011, 09:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am definitely willing to pay a premium for the said safety systems. I saw some views like 'I am confident of my driving and hence I don’t need extra assistance from any fancy systems’. Well, if the other party involved in an accident is faulty, or does not have enough skills, nothing much can be done.

That said, I will prefer these systems to be factory fitted, and not aftermarket additions. And at this point, only a selected few expensive cars have this option. I remember reading in Volvo website that the XC60’s insurance premium is way below its competition (they have mentioned BMW X3 and Audi Q5) because of its additional safety features.
I agree, however confident one is, there will always be a mistake from the other drivers, who could be negligent or a case of simple mis-judgement.

Vehicle to vehicle communication will reduce the chances of collision, when the driver is not able to take appropriate decision in time, also, IMO, this should be a part of every vehicle, then the overall collision rate will come down, and also the overall cost of the system will be in the affordable range.

I would pay extra for these safety features provided they are available wide across, as there is no point having them in a single vehicle, and all the vehicles passing by does not have this feature.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't Volvo already offer this in S60? I know, we are talking of installing the same as an accessory. I would not mind paying about 50,000 if my life and someone else's life is getting saved. But, it should work properly, approved by the concerned authorities, should not void my warrenty and last but not the least, in case of a failure, the agency should be responsible enough to acknowledge and diagnose the reasons of failure.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:41   #34

Visualize these two situations:-

Situation 1
The driver of a car fitted with a collision prevention system is about to be tboned at an intersection of 4 roads. The direction in which the car is travelling is barricaded with some movable plastic/metal objects. He still decides to accelerate and crash into the barricade and thus move out of harm's way. If a collision prevention system is active then it would apply brakes without sensing what is approaching from the side.

Situation 2
Its raining and on a two lane highway two trucks are travelling side by side. Truck1 somehow manages to pull ahead and creates a gap good enough for a car to easily pass. A car overtakes Truck2 and cuts accross the lane to overtake Truck1. Just as the car begins to accelerate, a dog runs accross. The car cannot swerve to the other lane because it is still passing Truck1. It cannot brake because truck2 is right behind and the road is slippery. There is definitely going to be a difference between what the driver would do in the situtaion and what the collision prevention system would do (apply brakes).

In both situations the driver wouldn't have enough time to disable the collision prevention system.

It would be a decade or more before they develop the required intelligence for these systems to work flawlessly. I will not want it in my car until technology evolves.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^In the Merc I mentioned earler, these two facilities were available;

a) The system could be switched off at the flick of a switch.

b) The distance to the obstacle (in metres) at which this system activates could be pre-set.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am definitely willing to pay a premium for the said safety systems. I saw some views like 'I am confident of my driving and hence I don’t need extra assistance from any fancy systems’. Well, if the other party involved in an accident is faulty, or does not have enough skills, nothing much can be done.

That said, I will prefer these systems to be factory fitted, and not aftermarket additions. And at this point, only a selected few expensive cars have this option. I remember reading in Volvo website that the XC60’s insurance premium is way below its competition (they have mentioned BMW X3 and Audi Q5) because of its additional safety features.
I asked for aftermarket, because presently it is not available as a default on low-end cars. Even I would want them factory fitted.

So let's say they come as an optional factory fitted feature - how much would you be willing to pay?
Old 6th May 2011, 12:55   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I asked for aftermarket, because presently it is not available as a default on low-end cars. Even I would want them factory fitted.

So let's say they come as an optional factory fitted feature - how much would you be willing to pay?
I will definitely go for it, if it comes as an optional factory fitted feature - say for around INR 50-100K.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 03:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Vina, here's a video of collision avoidance system and some other safety features in the S60.

dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 13:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Vina, here's a video of collision avoidance system and some other safety features in the S60.

YouTube - Volvo S60 - Safest car in the world video

Exactly - this is what I was referring to.

An update - I hit a car two nights ago at an intersection.

Two bikes were overtaking me from the right, a bus had jumped the signal and was coming from the left and this guy in front of me was talking on the phone and (I don't know for what reason) slammed the brakes. I braked hard (first gear, speed was about 15) but the guy claimed I hit him.

It is possible that I did, though on my car there was not even a scratch and I didn't feel anything nor saw his car jerk.

My mistake was to keep too close to him, I was driving about 3ft away from him, so the margin for error was too low even at the low speed.

Now a collision avoidance system would in this situation have applied the brakes on its own.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,
Wish to rekindle the discussion on the thread. There has been a strong need felt on Driver safety in today's world. Also there has been discussion on price point/ affordability of Driver Safety devices and existence of such device.

I am working on ADAS ( Advanced Driver Assist System) primarily on safety of Driver / Inmates of the vehicle. Support eco-system like call ambulance, hospitals, insurance tieup, alert police, evidencing for Insurance and Judicial system, community on the move, Driver behaviour analytics are forming part of the device.

Wish to know from team-bhp members inputs on what else is needed for Driver safety apart from above.

Warm regards,
Dwarakanath
Old 6th February 2017, 12:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

A good collision avoidance system requires a much higher degree of Artificial Intelligence (AI) than what exists today. Today's systems are at best basic which covers very standard scenarios. Remember a person in Tesla car on Autopilot getting killed in an accident -
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-car-elon-musk

I still believe that it will take quite a while (Maybe a decade or two) to get to a stage where such automated systems will be fail proof and of industrial standard (Currently most of the electronic systems tend to fail lot sooner than the car and need maintenance/replacement multiple times in the lifespan of a car). Till such time I am fine without such systems in my car.
Old 6th February 2017, 21:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

When I was shopping for the Polo, the Trendline version had no ABS. To get it, you had to go around 50-60k higher and upgrade to the Comfortline.

I did get several extra features with the Comfortline but truth be told, I didn't care about any of them. I'd put a similar amount up for collision avoidance systems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks