Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 09:32   #25396
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,936
Thanked: 3,795 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If you are also talking about the same section, then we are on the same page. If you are talking about some other section, then I won't disagree with you knowing how well you know these roads
I can vouch for Parag's analysis. This looks like beyond Belgaum towards Kolhapur. Tawandi ghat has more curves rather than a straight like this. So most likely its the Vantamuri ghat. The straight has a right hander at the end of the incline which is more likely to cause an accident. I can't imagine what caused the accident right in the middle of the straight?! Possible scenario : Dog runs across suddenly, driver at high speeds, swerves, car rolls over and tosses up high in the air spinning rapidly, churning out all internals in the process. The downward slope, flat surface, six lanes and straight road is very tempting for cars to speed up.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 09:44   #25397
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,719
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Bengaluru: Two techies die after car rams into lorry on NICE road
Seems in a hurry to overtake from the wrong side, the driver didn't notice or watch out for the obstacle in the left lane.

Lots of such examples on Youtube where drivers are blindly changing lanes without accounting for such hazards.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:12   #25398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 328
Thanked: 426 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

[quote]In a ghastly road accident, two software engineers were killed on the spot when the car they were driving in, collided with a 10-wheeler truck in Kengeri on Wednesday morning.

Eyewitnesses told police, the car was over-speeding and trying to overtake other vehicles when it collided with the rear of the truck moving in the same direction.
The driver of the truck told the police it was foggy during the time the accident occurred.

Prashanth, the driver and Akshay, both believed to be friends, sustained head injuries and had to be extricated with great difficulty from the mangled remains of the car.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...astly-car.html
LoneRidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:13   #25399
BHPian
 
vidyanand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BLR
Posts: 115
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Looks like there was a parked vehicle in the elevated highway which the two wheeler hit and was in turn hit by the following vehicle.
I will not be surprised if we learn that the 2-wheeler was not at fault at all.
He might be riding normal speed and had to stop completely because of no hazard indicator from WagonR OR waiting for chance to get around it, while the speeding Tempo Traveller hit them from behind. We know how most of them drive. Forget them, I have seen Team-BHP sticker-ed POLO yesterday driving bang center few inches behind two parallel cars as if he will loose some precious minutes if he does not wait for one of them to get out of way to overtake.

Only solution to make them safe is to Ban them on flyover IF a strict rule cannot be followed on passing and dangerous overtakes.

Last edited by vidyanand : 4th January 2018 at 11:20.
vidyanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:18   #25400
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,436
Thanked: 5,867 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Bengaluru: Two techies die after car rams into lorry on NICE road
Slowly overtaking on the NICE road will reach such an extent that it will be done on the grass divider since all other lanes including the shoulder will be occupied by slow moving vehicles. The company bothers least as long as their coffers are filling. They should ban trucks on the right lane at least in such a road which they have made it a private property. Last week I took the NICE road from Electronic City to Link road and I could not maintain 60kmph in a safe manner. Sad state of affairs in our country.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 11:41   #25401
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,640
Thanked: 11,801 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Definitely not in front of the Suvarna Soudha. I don't know the name of the Ghats though but this is where I felt it might have happened.
I do recollect the other small ghat that comes after Hirebagewadi toll towards Belgaum (say 5 kms before Soudha) but that ghat has the following characteristics:

-Begins right at the apex of a longish Right hander and is a gradual climb towards Belgaum while a gradual descent towards Hubli (Along with a GO SLOW/ACCIDENT ZONE signage for Hubli Bound traffic)

-It has a valley on the left hand side when driving towards Belgaum and small hillocks on the left towards Hubli

This pic below is the place that is exactly where the ghat you are referring to begins (towards Belgaum) after a long straight - Notice how its not concrete on my side and the terrain around too with service lanes.

Pics: Accidents in India-nh4_02.jpg

Quote:
If you are also talking about the same section, then we are on the same page. If you are talking about some other section, then I won't disagree with you knowing how well you know these roads
So I was actually referring to the other section that is between Belgaum and Nippani. Earlier I had thought of the same ghat you pointed but then it is certainly not as good (Road quality) as the one between Belgaum and Nippani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The straight has a right hander at the end of the incline which is more likely to cause an accident.
Spot on! And this straight incline is a mighty one that one can easily touch some extremely high speeds without any notice. Heck, even trucks need to be overtaken around 120 KMPH here.

Quote:
I can't imagine what caused the accident right in the middle of the straight?!
I feel this has happened towards Belgaum after the curve. This is a section where 2 lane expands to 3 at the beginning of this ghat and there is a break in the median.

Due to this curve and a break in the median combined with speeds from both sides, the spot is indeed vulnerable.

Quote:
Possible scenario : Dog runs across suddenly, driver at high speeds, swerves, car rolls over and tosses up high in the air spinning rapidly, churning out all internals in the process. The downward slope, flat surface, six lanes and straight road is very tempting for cars to speed up.
Could be Dog, Pedestrian, Cyclist or even another vehicle coming out of this median below and given your speeds and that you are negotiating a curve, any panic braking is dangerous and likely to cause a bad accident:

Pics: Accidents in India-vantamuri-uturn.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th January 2018 at 11:56.
paragsachania is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 15:16   #25402
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 833 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Have no idea of exactly what happened there. But the Tuscon mangled like that gives a chill down the spine.
It's near the MH-KA border. From the visuals it looks like It's before Belgaum, before Suvarna soudha. There is a very small upward climbing section and I guess that's the location.
I had passed this spot on the same day but before this incident took place. I have seen many cars over speeding on this stretch, and by over speeding I am not saying 100-120-130 but a lot more than that. Yes the roads are good, they have maintained balance between tar roads and concrete roads on certain patches, but the limit of cars and experience is what counts. This car must be doing insane speeds.

I think the car is lying on the wrong side of the road, can see bushes and trees which are dragged from the other side of road. Also the traffic on the other side of road is slow moving, may be other affected cars on the other side of road.

Last edited by ampere : 4th January 2018 at 15:53. Reason: Typo fixed
amrutmhatre90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 22:41   #25403
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Bengaluru: Two techies die after car rams into lorry on NICE road

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...d-1743489.html
I use NICE road daily and I see number of drivers pulling over to the shoulder for overtaking slow moving trucks at 100+ kmph without realizing that there may be a stationary vehicle or slow moving two wheeler on the shoulder, also, I have seen some close calls due to this reckless overtaking manoeuvres.
krishnadevanur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 11:16   #25404
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I had passed this spot on the same day but before this incident took place. I have seen many cars over speeding on this stretch, and by over speeding I am not saying 100-120-130 but a lot more than that. Yes the roads are good, they have maintained balance between tar roads and concrete roads on certain patches, but the limit of cars and experience is what counts. This car must be doing insane speeds.

I think the car is lying on the wrong side of the road, can see bushes and trees which are dragged from the other side of road. Also the traffic on the other side of road is slow moving, may be other affected cars on the other side of road.

The Tucson accident has taken place just after the descent from the Vantmuri Ghat. People talking about Vidhan Soudha , just for clarification the incline in this section is very steep on both sides and little forestation. Attached pic for reference for the Tucson accident.

Pics: Accidents in India-whatsapp-image-20180104-9.55.11-pm.jpeg
laddz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 19:40   #25405
BHPian
 
manaljain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indore
Posts: 85
Thanked: 323 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

A Delhi Public School(DPS) bus in Indore met with a shocking accident by head-on collision with a truck.
The bus was filled with children and staff.

6 kids died on-the-spot.
Around 35-40 people were injured and hospitalized.


The accident took place at Bicholi, Bypass Road.

God bless those kids and help their parents recover from their sorrows.

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160633112.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160631408.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160636858.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160634814.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160643990.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160641556.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-fb_img_1515160625943.jpg

Mod note: Disturbing images removed. Request to please refrain from posting graphic images on the forum. Thank you!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2018 at 00:00. Reason: Please see the moderator's note towards the end of the post.
manaljain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 20:01   #25406
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,640
Thanked: 11,801 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddz1121 View Post
The Tucson accident has taken place just after the descent from the Vantmuri Ghat. People talking about Vidhan Soudha , just for clarification the incline in this section is very steep on both sides and little forestation. Attached pic for reference for the Tucson accident.
May be you missed reading previous posts where I had indeed mentioned that it's Vantamuri ghats along with description as to why it doesn't look like the other one.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 22:52   #25407
BHPian
 
n_naik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
A Delhi Public School(DPS) bus in Indore met with a shocking accident by head-on collision with a truck.
The bus was filled with children and staff.
Help me to understand how this 'head on' collision happened on a road which has proper median. Was any of them coming on the wrong side ?
n_naik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 23:10   #25408
BHPian
 
GutsyGibbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Calif.
Posts: 63
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevanur View Post
I use NICE road daily and I see number of drivers pulling over to the shoulder for overtaking slow moving trucks at 100+ kmph without realizing that there may be a stationary vehicle or slow moving two wheeler on the shoulder, also, I have seen some close calls due to this reckless overtaking manoeuvres.
Broken down vehicles, two wheel riders parked to answer call of nature, or to answer a phone call is way too common on NICE road. Fast cars and cabs use the shoulder like another lane. When they see stopped vehicles, they cut across traffic lanes with horns blaring. I was doing 100+ on a Harley when a Fortuner cut across my path at more than 120kmph with barely an inch between us.

Also, how is it that it has become a rule for the slowest moving overloaded Tata Ace, cargo 3 wheelers, and the oldest trucks and to use the rightmost lane? Pretty much 100% of overtaking on NICE, (and other highways too) is on the left side.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 07:08   #25409
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,596
Thanked: 1,494 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Also, how is it that it has become a rule for the slowest moving overloaded Tata Ace, cargo 3 wheelers, and the oldest trucks and to use the rightmost lane? Pretty much 100% of overtaking on NICE, (and other highways too) is on the left side.
It is the curse of our circumstances that everything will be tied down to the progress of the least common denominator. Even vehicles loaded to legal limits have to drop speed a lot when long inclines come up and do this to different extents. So, where the lanes are available, they stay in the lane that looks free for some distance ahead. All it takes to block even a six lane NH with a median strip for 3+3, is three such vehicles travelling in the same direction at about the same time.

To a large extent, I empathise with this behaviour. Consider driving a heavy truck in the extreme left lane and having to change lanes by dropping gears and losing speed and momentum every time you come across a slower vehicle ahead, which is often. You too would choose the path of least effort - sit in the right most lane, and stay there. Unless forced to move to the left by a slower vehicle sitting in this lane as well! Like a river somehow finding its way to the sea, usually all of this works. But every time some one does something unexpected, the result is an accident.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 11:59   #25410
BHPian
 
Samir Taheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London & Pune
Posts: 416
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Help me to understand how this 'head on' collision happened on a road which has proper median. Was any of them coming on the wrong side ?
Check out my post in the Bad Drivers thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4334214

That is how a head on collisions occurs. Either one (truck or bus) must have been on the wring side of the road. BTW, that incident was this morning!

I forwarded those images to the school directors and Pune Police. Both have since replied with the action taken, which is a positive step to protecting passengers.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 6th January 2018 at 12:02.
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 149 11th March 2018 02:24
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra Road Safety 84 19th November 2016 16:47
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks