Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2018, 12:17   #25831
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chennai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Saw this on Youtube. Looks like one should be really lucky not to get into accidents while driving in our roads.
What an utter moron, I don’t sympathize for him a bit. I bet when he wakes up and watches the video (or his near & dear), they still will believe he was in the right because he and countless others have done it thousands of times, so it is right and the car driver should have been more watchful.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 26th February 2018 at 12:18.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 14:16   #25832
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
..I bet when he wakes up and watches the video (or his near & dear), they still will believe he was in the right because he and countless others have done it thousands of times, so it is right and the car driver should have been more watchful.
I have had innumerable arguments with morons like those who believe that it was not their fault. Like you said, their main argument is that the since the other person was in a car, he should be more careful about his surroundings rather than expecting the bikes to be careful.

By the same logic, the bus drivers of Road Transport (RTC/ BMTC etc.) should be all the more careful since they have a much bigger vehicle.
get2bid is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 16:35   #25833
Senior - BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 1,738 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Saw this on Youtube. Looks like one should be really lucky not to get into accidents while driving in our roads.
I for one always slows down near zebra crossing and junctions, I wouldn't have gone for that overtake. I'm not saying the driver is at fault, but defensive driving is the way to go in India.
ecenandu is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 16:56   #25834
BHPian
 
ksameer1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 468
Thanked: 791 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I for one always slows down near zebra crossing and junctions, I wouldn't have gone for that overtake. I'm not saying the driver is at fault, but defensive driving is the way to go in India.
If I were in this situation, I probably would have gone ahead with the overtake, totally oblivious to the presence of the biker. Reason being, there was a slow moving tractor trailer who was clearly staying in its lane. Also, at busy intersection, one is generally on the lookout for someone who might be crossing over from the oncoming side of traffic. The driver of car as well as a the biker would have been unaware of each other's presence, blinded by the tractor.

This is a really scary incident. The biker came in front of car in a way which the driver would have least expected.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 19:16   #25835
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,114
Thanked: 8,210 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

I think one should never overtake at a pedestrian crossing, and, if I remember rightly, the British Highway Code outlaws overtaking at junctions.

But this biker doesn't seem to care who or what hits him. He is so wrong to be turning across and into traffic like that that it dwarfs anybody else's wrongness.

Oh, by the way... according to a "conversation" I had with a biker the other day, one is supposed to leave space for them on the inside of the curve when turning left
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 20:00   #25836
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 333 Times
Default

The way bikers drive in India and the kind of rules they break, requires whole new research and is a social phenomenon in itself.
It's perhaps the highest form of selfishness that one would witness on our planet.
Unfortunately, each new generation of bikers is worse than the previous one. Evidently, evolution is at work.
Of course, there are good bikers, sadly they're outnumbered by huge margin by morons like the one in this video.
Acharya is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 21:59   #25837
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 599
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
The way bikers drive in India and the kind of rules they break, requires whole new research and is a social phenomenon in itself.
It's perhaps the highest form of selfishness that one would witness on our planet.
Man, that seems a bit harsh on all bikers the way you put it. If it's regarding the moron types like the one above, then its ok. Because all other types of road users are filled with moronic specimens in large quantities on Indian roads.

Maybe you forgot to notice how almost all pedestrians don't know the difference between a garden or park and a road. So they hold hands and loiter about, walk right in the middle, cross randomly at any point of time like the road was made primarily for them only and they're doing a favor by allowing even motorists to use it! If they show their hand to a motorist, it should stop in it's tracks even if it's a 40 tonne truck. No logic needed. The list goes on...

Or then you forgot road hogging goods vehicles who think that the right-most lane was constructed solely for them and nobody else should venture in their territory. Or selfish motorists who basically don't know the meaning of 'giving way' and wish everyone behind them to wait for them to finish their phone call or something before moving along.

Someone rightly said, "The road is filled with idiots." It's very true specially in the Indian context and I think that means anyone and everyone who acts moronic when using public roads and not only bikers. The number of wheels or limbs on the moron is just a statistic. Cheers.
pixantz is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 23:01   #25838
BHPian
 
VinodDevil81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KL
Posts: 225
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
The way bikers drive in India and the kind of rules they break, requires whole new research and is a social phenomenon in itself.
It's perhaps the highest form of selfishness that one would witness on our planet.
Unfortunately, each new generation of bikers is worse than the previous one. Evidently, evolution is at work.
Of course, there are good bikers, sadly they're outnumbered by huge margin by morons like the one in this video.

Agree. But not all bikers are selfish and law-breakers.
But still I agree that a considerable percentage of bikers resort to all these violations and reckless acts.

But I feel that nowadays this phenomenon is not just confined to bikers alone.

The reason why many bikers resort to such idiotic and selfish law breaking acts is mainly because of the fact that their vehicle's dimension/ form factor allows them to do such reckless acts.
Their compact dimension allows them to swerve, cut across, or poke their vehicle into any gap irrespective of whether it is on the wrong side or not.

I am sure that if their vehicle's dimension/form factor permitted them to do so, a vast majority of Indian car drivers too would be more than willing to do all these reckless acts without any hesitation.
Even without the dimensional advantage of a two wheeler, nowadays we can see so many car drivers who are driving even more dangerously and unpredictably than these bikers.
So I think such drivers are present everywhere, irrespective of the number of wheels they drive.

Their ideology is simple and quite straightforward.
"Nothing will happen to me.I have done such dangerous law-breaking acts a million times before too. When so many others are doing it, why can't I? My journey and my destination is of the highest importance and every other vehicle on the road needs to wait or make way for me."

It is quite disturbing that this line of thought seems to be spreading to more and more drivers with each passing day.

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 26th February 2018 at 23:07.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 08:35   #25839
BHPian
 
AtheK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 602
Thanked: 934 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Thhey should play that Biker video on a loop in some places in bangalore, because not only uneducated, we have educated bikers doing the same all the time here in bangalore.

Once i was going on a road, a biker coming from wrong side asked me to slow down, and what he asked me bewildered me to no end. He asked me, bro are there cops on the turn, i was like, no but yamraj is and drove away.
AtheK is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 08:53   #25840
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 269
Thanked: 146 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
The way bikers drive in India and the kind of rules they break, requires whole new research and is a social phenomenon in itself.
It's perhaps the highest form of selfishness that one would witness on our planet.
Unfortunately, each new generation of bikers is worse than the previous one. Evidently, evolution is at work.
Of course, there are good bikers, sadly they're outnumbered by huge margin by morons like the one in this video.
I feel all the moron bikers are warriors or have a death wish, and probably they are strapped with a HUGE Medical or Term Insurance for their kin.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 10:06   #25841
BHPian
 
saurabh2711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune, Bhopal, Indore
Posts: 241
Thanked: 273 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Also the tractor driver did managed to swerve away from the rider on road as there was no other vehicle/pedestrian to his left
If we see again there were 2 more morons to his left & one laying flat on the road. Two more wrong side riders, & one 2-wheeler was directly in line of tractor (0:08).

I was always wondering what was at the passenger seat all dressed in White & why didn't she/he came out, later realized that airbags were deployed at 0:06, bang at the collision..

Why are we saying the car was overtaking the tractor (at a junction). Looking at the vdo from start, the car was on right most lane from the start (of VDO). He only swerved left at the junction to avoid another 2-wheeler who apparently wanted to turn right. Poor fellow would be down by couple of grands, for no mistake of his, just to repair his car. Don't know what happened to biker & if something went terribly wrong what will be the consequences thereafter for the car driver. Hope the CCTV comes to his rescue & give him relief if at all he has to go through a court case.

I also see a cop coming close to the car immediately after the crash. Must have been somewhere really close. Probably on the junction.
I am surprised that the biker had no fear of him standing there.
Look at the dress of the biker: Quiet similar with the cop that popped up from the junction (Khaki trouser, white shirt). Any clues, if he is a police officer & what exactly is the end result of the accident. It is a bigger shame if he is..

I still hope the two 2-wheelers who were following the same practice of driving on wrong side, take away some learning & refrain themselves from repeating it. Or we never know they may be part of another such vdo, giving us topic to discuss.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 27th February 2018 at 10:24.
saurabh2711 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 11:28   #25842
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 351
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
. Poor fellow would be down by couple of grands, for no mistake of his, just to repair his car. Don't know what happened to biker & if something went terribly wrong what will be the consequences thereafter for the car driver. Hope the CCTV comes to his rescue & give him relief if at all he has to go through a court case.
A couple of grand only? With the airbags deployed, the damages can touch one lakh easily. Then there is the issue of any possible compensation to the motorcyclist. Last year I was driving at 10 kmph on a busy road when two girls pushed each other and one of them ended up pushing her foot under my car tyre. Took her to a hospital and what was initially described as a hairline fracture in a finger ended up requiring a minor surgery. I ended up paying around 35,000 for the treatment. I was put in a difficult position as the girl was a young teen and the doctor said that there was a 90% chance that she would be ok with just a cast but she might develop a limp without surgery. Now I couldn't tell the parents that I didn't want her to get the best possible treatment. Hence I went to the ATM and paid the amount. They were very nice people though and even if they pocket the difference and just put a cast so be it. She was going to be in a cast or a month.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 15:12   #25843
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,114
Thanked: 8,210 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Man, that seems a bit harsh on all bikers the way you put it. If it's regarding the moron types like the one above, then its ok. Because all other types of road users are filled with moronic specimens in large quantities on Indian roads. ... ... ...
Everything you say is right. However, I also think that bikers stand out in the chaos is, not only factors mentioned by VinodDevil81...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Agree. But not all bikers are selfish and law-breakers.
But still I agree that a considerable percentage of bikers resort to all these violations and reckless acts.

But I feel that nowadays this phenomenon is not just confined to bikers alone.

The reason why many bikers resort to such idiotic and selfish law breaking acts is mainly because of the fact that their vehicle's dimension/ form factor allows them to do such reckless acts.
Their compact dimension allows them to swerve, cut across, or poke their vehicle into any gap irrespective of whether it is on the wrong side or not.

I am sure that if their vehicle's dimension/form factor permitted them to do so, a vast majority of Indian car drivers too would be more than willing to do all these reckless acts without any hesitation. ... ... ...
... but also the relatively low bar to getting on the road on two wheels. We all know that the instruction and driving tests for all categories are something of a joke, but bikes are cheaper than any car and, perhaps, perceived as easy to drive and ride. If you can balance you can drive a bike, right? (I can't and I can't: I personally perceive handling a two-wheeler as being very difficult, but I think I'm in a tiny minority worldwide!) So dad, uncle, brother, gets the guys and the gals on the road and then leaves them to it.

This low bar to entry, coupled with even more inferior instruction, testing and licensing, results in large numbers of two wheelers that act, not together, for each thinks only of themselves, but in swarms. Only last week I found myself in a serious log jam. By good judgement of one guy on foot, and co-operation of the 4-wheel drivers, we were resolving an impossible situation. What happens? The manoeuvring space that we are, with great difficulty, immediately fills up... with bikers. The good bikers need not be mentioned: they won't have been there. That still left ten or twelve idiots who were.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 16:15   #25844
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 199
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I wouldn't have gone for that overtake. I'm not saying the driver is at fault, but defensive driving is the way to go in India.
At you sure?
You want to drive behind a tractor that is PROPERLY driving in a slow lane, while the fast lane is empty?

I don't classify it as overtake. There is an empty lane, meant for vehicles that move faster, within stipulated speed limits and that's what the car driver is doing. He might have observed that there is nobody trying a U turn near that median opening and decided to move. Then, suddenly somebody appears out of nowhere.

Absolutely no sympathies for the biker. He asked for it.
FORTified is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 17:47   #25845
Senior - BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 1,738 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
At you sure?
You want to drive behind a tractor that is PROPERLY driving in a slow lane, while the fast lane is empty?
Yes, I won't drive behind that tractor rather drive alongside and complete the overtake after the junction.

I know an accident can happen any time, that thought makes me drive more defensively.
ecenandu is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 149 11th March 2018 02:24
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra Road Safety 84 19th November 2016 16:47
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks