Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 13th June 2018, 14:41   #26551
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
My friend met with an accident on ECity flyover today evening around 7 pm. According to her she was riding her activa on the flyover and was overtaking another vehicle when a cab (she remembers seeing an yellow plate) which was driving fast hit her vehicle. She was thrown off the scooter onto the median and suffered injuries to her hands, legs and also concussion. She was wearing a leather jacket and helmet which probably reduced the intensity.
Sorry to play the skeptic here, no doubt that cabbie should have stopped and faced the music for his actions, but does your friend use her rear view mirrors? More often than not with most of these activas and other scooters, I see the rear view mirrors are so faded and barely pointed in the right direction. These relatively low horsepower slow moving vehicles take very long to pull off overtaking maneuvers and it is very important that they must check their rear view mirror to see if anyone is travelling in the fast lane before coming onto the right of the road to overtake someone.

Seriously, my heart skips a beat every time I see a young woman pull out into the right lane at speeds like 30kmph without even knowing how fast I might be travelling down the road. I keep thinking about how their husbands or boyfriends or parents or children might feel if they get hurt simply because they were not aware that it is imperative to understand how the vehicles around you are moving before hopping lanes. When most folks move about at speeds between 20-40kmph, even if one is travelling at 60 which is under the speed limit, they will seem like they are speeding in relation to these slow movers, because even 60kmph is 50% faster than 40.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th June 2018 at 14:46.
IshaanIan is online now   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 15:07   #26552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
but does your friend use her rear view mirrors?
Brother, you just got me break into tears, I just got too emotional to handle this one TRUTH!!

One fine evening I got a phone call from my uncle who stays in another town, he was sounding very angry and simply directed me to reach a place near my home where some 'rowdy', 'illiterate', 'nonsense', 'eve teasers' and many more words to define them, kind of guys have rear ended the Activa of his 'humble and intelligent' daughter. She was riding with her friend who again is a very nice girl (as per uncle; actually she was lost in love world with her BF who was pillion on the scooter).

I reached the spot within 5 minutes, checked everything and the first thing I noticed was "no rear view mirrors on the Activa"!!

The car drivers were college students who had a more genuine story to share as compared to the girl; so we (me and the guys who accompanied me) simply asked them to leave, warned the girl over the things the couple can do in restaurants and parks. Bought her a set of new RVMs instantly and left the place (They were having very minor bruises, so no hospital scene there).

One week later when I saw the girl again, the scooter had both the RVMs; one was pointed in I don't know which direction and one was being leisurely pointed to wards her face so that she can check her face even on the move now!!
VKumar is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 17:17   #26553
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, my heart skips a beat every time I see a young woman pull out into the right lane at speeds like 30kmph without even knowing how fast I might be travelling down the road. I keep thinking about how their husbands or boyfriends or parents or children might feel if they get hurt simply because they were not aware that it is imperative to understand how the vehicles around you are moving before hopping lanes. When most folks move about at speeds between 20-40kmph, even if one is travelling at 60 which is under the speed limit, they will seem like they are speeding in relation to these slow movers, because even 60kmph is 50% faster than 40.
I had a close encounter with a girl, who was parked on the sidewalk, and as I approached her, she suddenly enters the road without checking for any traffic. I braked hard, and that is when she sees me, there were a few passengers in her car, but none of them seemed concerned on the narrow escape. She gave me a blank look. I think only then was she aware there was a car on the right side. I just thanked my stars and continued on my way.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 23:01   #26554
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to play the skeptic here, no doubt that cabbie should have stopped and faced the music for his actions, but does your friend use her rear view mirrors? .

You are right being skeptic. And I can assure you that she is indeed a good rider who takes care of her vehicle and also rides safely. The first thing I asked her was did she check RVM's before overtaking and whether she was riding at a reasonable speed. She said she did check the RVM's and her speed was around 60-70kmph when overtaking (I am taking her word on this). She was in the middle of her overtaking maneuver when her vehicle was hit from behind. So I believe that either the cab guy was tailgating very close or there was a mistake from my friend. Without any proof the conclusion is not possible.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 16:33   #26555
BHPian

Six passengers die as bus rolls down gorge near Ooty in Tamil Nadu

Six passengers died and 28 others suffered injuries when a Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation bus they were travelling in rolled down a 100-foot deep gorge near Manthada on the Ooty-Coonoor road on Thursday.The bus was carrying around 40 passengers. It was going to Coimbatore from Ooty.
The injured were admitted to Ooty Government Hospital.

Its been raining heavily over there recently.

source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64584565.cms
sparky@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 17:07   #26556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
One week later when I saw the girl again, the scooter had both the RVMs; one was pointed in I don't know which direction and one was being leisurely pointed to wards her face so that she can check her face even on the move now!!
Actually the latest and in-vogue usage of the ORVM is to hang your helmet while driving!

Can't make out which is the more worst case - drive without a helmet or drive with the helmet resting on the ORVM all the time!
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 18:56   #26557
Senior - BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/car-rams-in...-12271488.html

Quote:
The driver of the car lost control of the speeding car and went on to hit an autorickshaw with the driver running out of the vehicle to safety. A total of 5 persons were injured in the incident which could have turned very serious if the fuel in the dispenser had caught fire on impact.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2018, 19:20   #26558
BHPian

Dzire and truck accident. If you know the service road stretch between Narsingi and TSPA junction, this is where it happened.
On the opposite side of the road in the rain water drain was a truck, that must have tried to avoid the car and ended up there. When ever I drive on this stretch I get really upset about the fact that no one stays in their lane. You are forced to move to the extreme left of right of the road to avoid oncoming traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-img2036.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img2035.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img2034.jpg  

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 11:45   #26559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
You are right being skeptic. And I can assure you that she is indeed a good rider who takes care of her vehicle and also rides safely. The first thing I asked her was did she check RVM's before overtaking and whether she was riding at a reasonable speed. She said she did check the RVM's and her speed was around 60-70kmph when overtaking (I am taking her word on this). She was in the middle of her overtaking maneuver when her vehicle was hit from behind. So I believe that either the cab guy was tailgating very close or there was a mistake from my friend. Without any proof the conclusion is not possible.
My intention is not to pick on an injured person. However, overtaking on a bridge or flyover is inherently dangerous as they are usually narower, more slippery and can often have joints that are detrimental to safety. This is even more true for a two wheeler. In addition, 70 kmph is too high of a speed for a two wheeler, especially on a crowded road. If a larger vehicle like a car is proceeding at say 60 kmph, the two wheeler has no buisness to try and overtake it. If there is rain or wet roads and oncoming traffic along with fast moving traffic behind, then it is downright dangerous to drive so fast and cut across traffic. You have to remember that any little indention, a small rock or a patch of uneven tarmac can cause you to slip and you have no protection at all. You can easily get hit by vehicles around you in case you fall.

I hope the person recovery soon and hopefully learns to drive at a safer speed.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 11:58   #26560
BHPian

Embedding few videos I came across while just checking for Skoda Rapid reviews. Without prejudice this is how people,with even good reach, drive when it suits their purpose. In one of the videos we even see an Oncoming motor cycle almost pushed out of road.

u.be&t=3m20s

Last edited by aadya : 16th June 2018 at 11:59. Reason: correction
aadya is offline   Reply With Quote