Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 4th July 2018, 16:54   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Been travelling more in the past few months, unfortunately no one really cares about hatchback, as if it wouldn't hurt if a hatchback hits them(bikers). Would love to own something like this, just to conserve my inner peace add trucks, private company staff buses(worst drivers in the universe I say) and you have recipe for high BP at an relatively young age
What you posted won't be enough. At least the one below is needed. Until someone gets the same ideas. And the money to buy it.

Name:  396108_tank_t95_vystrel_1920x1080_www.GdeFon.ru_750x421.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  74.7 KB

Image source
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 19:36   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
How did your boards go? Well I liked your typical "Hydrabadi Hindi" and was laughing till I could take it no more . The auto guy's face was worth seeing.
Well, my boards went really well and scored well too. Indeed, after that incident, me and my besties had a hearted laugh for a pretty long time especially after seeing that expression of the autowaala. If I have to say it in Hindi, "Bande ka akkad hi nikal gaya "

Varun
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 11:57   #273
BHPian

Would like to share an incident which happened on last Tuesday, I was on my way to office around 0830 AM, KR puram was the usual brimming self, I was driving from Marathahalli towards Hebbal direction.
In order to avoid the pile up before KR puram railway station, I took an internal road wanting to join OOR just after railway station pedestrian crossing, via one of the side lane.

People who travel on this route might know, it's always a struggle to find your place in this patch of ORR. My attempt to join the main road was being blocked by the usual culprit, a BMTC bus, which was trying to occupy the space in front of me (in normal parlance, Bus had the right of way as it was on the main road) and I was joining from side road.
As things have it, if you follow the right of way concept, you would be standing at the same spot till noon.

I had my full focus on the bus while turning and entering ORR and Bang!
I heard a sound from the direction where I least expected it, my front left corner of the car had hit an almost stationary two wheeler, who probably had stopped moving and I completely missed him stopping, as I was looking to my right, focusing on BMTC bus. Thankfully, speed was less than 10 kmph.

I knew right away that it was my mistake, I got down from my XUV and helped the Activa guy lift his vehicle which hit the ground due to my hit.
I immediate told the guy "brother, it's completely my fault, I was fixated on Bus and failed to look in your direction".
He looked at me but did not say anything, while we both got his Activa back on two wheels. I again asked him " I am really sorry, I will bear all the damages, lets not block the road and park on the side".

He looked at his Activa, checked on the side which had touched ground and said "you've said sorry, not much damage done, since you've owned up the mistake lets move on"

I could not believe what I heard, as I was not expecting this.
He could have easily asked for some damages and I would have owned it without any protest but he chose to act a Gentleman and let it go.

Perhaps, my first reaction of owning up the mistake and apologizing it upfront brought up the goodness in him.
He quickly started his Activa and moved on, leaving me bit bewildered and thankful to him.

Last edited by Acharya : 6th July 2018 at 12:01.
Acharya is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 16:23   #274
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Another incident comes to my mind. This didn't happen on the road but inside the office complex while i was parking my car.

My office is situated on Bannerghatta road and there is a radio station in the same building. A couple of feet after my usual parking spot, there is a plastic speed breaker which doesn't cover the entire width of the passage.

One early morning, i parked my car at my designated spot, looked in the rear view mirror and proceeded to remove my sun glasses, engage hand brake and disconnect phone from the Aux cable. When i opened the door, Bam, someone crahed in to the driver side door.

I immediately got out to find a young man of around 20 years sprawled on the ground. The building security also came running to help him. I help lift him and made him sit on the side. Asked him if he is all right, got him some water from my car. He was shocked for few minutes.

I asked him what was he doing so close to my car when he had the entire passage free. Apparently he was trying to avoid the plastic speed breaker by squeezing on the left. He also mentioned that he had an accident few months back and had a steel rod inserted in his leg which now again got it and he was in pain.

I offered him to take to hospital and get x-ray done to ensure there was no fracture or damage to his leg. But he refused saying its not a sever pain and he should be fine. Still, i insisted him to visit hospital but he refused. I gave him my card and advised him to go to hospital and call me if there is anything. He said that wouldn't be required but still accepted my card.

I reached my office and in 10 mins i get a call from this guy asking me to come down. I went down to the parking only to find this guy with a girl waiting for me. This Girl started screaming as soon as she saw and accused me of hit and run! I got to know that she is a RJ in the radio station and this guy was her younger brother who had come to drop her to office. The girl was so worked up and kept screaming on my saying i had hit her brother and let me fend for himself and damaged her scooter.

I told her that if i was running away i wouldn't have given my card. The building security know where i work, there are CCTV camera in the parking lot so i couldn't have been missed. I tried to reason her that if i am at mistake of not checking 2nd time in the mirror before opening my door, your brother too is equally guilty of coming close to the car when didn't have any valid reason to do so.

With his sister by his side, this guy was all acting smart rather started to talk like a goon! started to threaten me get his scooter repaired else.....

I told him to get my car door fixed and i shall get his scooter fixed but both brother sister duo insisted that i was at mistake and only i should pay. when i didn't budge, this dude calls his friends on the phone and tells them that there is some "Kirk" and they should come fast. i again told them that don't expect me pay.

They asked me to come to police station and i was all too happy to go coz the rowdy behavior of the guy was becoming unbearable. I called a colleague of mine to send my key and wallet from office but 2 - 3 of my colleagues came down. Just then few colleagues of the RJ lady whom i knew had come down for their morning coffee and saw this commotion. Just by looking at what had happened they asked RJ's brothers: What were you doing on the left side, you had entire right side of the passage clear for you?

The RJ's face turned Red seeing her colleagues not supporting her. I again told in front of everyone that you fix my car, i fix your bike and that's the deal take it or leave it. RJ's colleagues asked her if she has insurance for the bike and when she said yes they simply asked her: just use that why make so much hungama. I told them that if there is some amount which is not covered in insurance i will pay that amount, provided they should also do the same for getting my car door fixed.

Needless to say there was nothing much left for the brother sister duo to argue about and i got back to my office.

After a few day the RJ lady called on my mobile and informed me about that i need to pay her some 800 or 1500 as it wasn't paid by insurance. I told her to get me the bills and i shall pay and also informed her that for my car's repair around 4K estimate is given by workshop and insurance will not cover entire amount, balance she has to pay. After that never got any call back from her.
btw, the name of the RJ when translated to english means Affableness or geniality

Last edited by ajmat : 6th July 2018 at 17:07. Reason: Please start sentences with capitals
ant_vas is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 20:08   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Another incident comes to my mind. This didn't happen on the road but inside the office complex while i was parking my car.

My office is situated on Bannerghatta road and there is a radio station in the same building. A couple of feet after my usual parking spot, there is a plastic speed breaker which doesn't cover the entire width of the passage.
This is the same building as Sagar Automobiles on BG Road, isn't it?

These kind of incidents are a dime a dozen and more often than not, fizzle out when the other side realise that they are as much if not more at fault for the incident in the trust place- which is pretty much how it ended in this case.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 20:29   #276
BHPian

Quote:
This is the same building as Sagar Automobiles on BG Road, isn't it?

No there is another Radio station on this road. Not reveling the name to ensure the identity of the people involved is not revealed by me
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 20:48   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
No there is another Radio station on this road. Not reveling the name to ensure the identity of the people involved is not revealed by me
Just a word of caution. Please do ask the security guard to keep an eye on your car for a few days. These guys can try to do damage if they want to. Or if there are CCTV cameras covering your parking area, even better.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 18:12   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Just a word of caution. Please do ask the security guard to keep an eye on your car for a few days. These guys can try to do damage if they want to. Or if there are CCTV cameras covering your parking area, even better.

This incident was few years back and i have already changed 2 cars from that time
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote