Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 29th June 2018, 15:41   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Airbags: All you need to know!

All manufacturers run different set of algorithms for deployment of airbags, in case of that unfortunate event. Since Arvind posted the question referring to his Honda City, then I think it's relevant if I refer to my Civic's manual regarding deployment of airbags in case of belted/ unbelted passengers.

According to Honda, as per the owner's manual of Civic:

Name:  airbags.png
Views: 154
Size:  122.0 KB

"Your front airbags are also dualthreshold airbags. Airbags with this feature have two deployment thresholds that depend on whether or not the occupant is wearing a seat belt.

If the occupant’s belt is not latched, the airbag will deploy at a slightly lower threshold, because the occupant would need extra protection.

If the occupant’s belt is latched, the airbag will inflate at a slightly higher
threshold, when the airbag would be needed to supplement the protection
provided by the seat belt."

This clearly says that in a Civic, airbags will be deployed at a lower severity threshold if the occupants are not wearing their seatbelts. Means, there is more chance of deployment of airbags if pax are unbelted. If all the passengers are belted, the airbags may not deploy at all, if the system feels so depending on the severity of impact/ sudden retardation.

I would suggest other car owners also refer to their manual to know what set of logics govern the airbag deployment in their particular car. Adding them to this thread would only give us more knowledge.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote