Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 05:24   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
Here's the crash test of India manufactured Baleno.

It scored 3 stars. How does the Indian spec vary in terms of structural strength?
I have seen this already. But this is the one exported. I am talking about the one sold to Indian customers. I know they have been saying there's no difference but we have seen in the past how cost saving measures lead to use of different material in manufacturing India spec ones, which are inferior from safety POV.

Hence, my concern. My wait continues for the India spec Baleno test results.

Rest, the results are seriously dismal so far

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th May 2016 at 05:35.
Old 18th May 2016, 05:55   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Tests are typically always done on the base variant of a model. VW did not ship a version of the Polo with Airbags, they made airbags standard across the range and then asked NCAP to re-test. Since the Polo was structurally sound, addition of the Airbags gave it the 4 star rating.
In this case, looks like the structure is unstable. So the rating is not going to change with airbags.
The Scorpio unstable? Have you seen the video? It folded up like a house of cards or an accordion, if you like. All the air-bags in the world won't save any one inside in a full frontal crash. The frontal impact protection (at the test speed) is zero. The structural strength/integrity is pathetic. I am saying this as an owner of an 11+ year old Scorpio, which I still love - but it is not "love is blind" any longer. Either M&M and all the other mfrs in the NCAP test (and those in the coming tests) wake up and start doing their sums right - crash-worthiness, passive & active safety & all the rest of it - or the din from these tests will probably pull them up by the ears till they do wake up.
Old 18th May 2016, 07:02   #153
BHPian

We have seen the Kwid being rated as unsafe. I wonder how the Redi-Go will fare in a similar test. After all it is supposed to be a few kilos lighter than the Renault hatchback. And it is based on the same platform. It well be interesting to see the Fiat cars being tested. The Mahindra Scorpio failed the test though being perceived as a tough vehicle. Will the Fiats meet a similar fate?
MadiMaama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 07:13   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

We all know that all cars made by Maruti are death traps, and that similarly, any "designed for India" car is a death trap. We still buy these cars - because they are cheap to buy and maintain, and perhaps because they are safer than auto rickshaws or motor bikes.

But when you have the uber rich happily sitting in the rear seat of S Classes without seat belts, why should car manufacturers care for safety. I suspect that you are better off in a Datsun Go or Kwid with seat belts than in an S Class without
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 07:47   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
, any "designed for India" car is a death trap.
Not true. Toyota Etios is designed for emerging markets like India and it is rated 4 star.
rrsteer is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 08:26   #156

After contemplating between buying a used sedan with airbags and a new celerio last year, I went ahead and bought the celerio.I hoped that it would get at least 2 stars, but it has failed miserably. My next car will surely be a used safe sedan from the 15+ lakh bracket.
flying_spur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 08:27   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Not sure why the Eeco was picked. It is an old model and did not need NCAP to test and tell us that it has failed the test.

Eeco is generally used to carry many persons at a time. in the event of an accident, greater loss of human life can be caused by any vehicle, which is used to transport persons.

in fact all the 7 seaters and SUVs should be subjected ti stricter safety norms by NCAP or any other regulatory body, before they are sold in market.
shobhitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 08:53   #158
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad. I can't understand why so few people are taking safety for granted. Otherwise Indians are relatively the most prudent lot in the world.

Somewhere along the years, car makers strategically deicided to advertise by towing the 'fuel economy' hook & promote that instead of promoting safe cars and safe motoring.

They really don't care beyond cost cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
We all know that all cars made by Maruti are death traps, and that similarly, any "designed for India" car is a death trap. We still buy these cars - because they are cheap to buy and maintain, and perhaps because they are safer than auto rickshaws or motor bikes...
Quite True! Though some TATA & FIAT cars are relatively safer.

Maruti cars aren't priced cheaply for sure. Even by industry standards they're abit overpriced & so are their service charges.

We buy them because of weird reasons including our perception of social status etc. Many choose a particular overpriced brand just to not buy something outside the ordinary. Even if it is unsafe, featureless with just barely reliable mechanicals & apparently because their 'Brand' has a wide service network.
Ex. Like the Swift or 850kg Baleno. A car that's twice as powerful as the Tara Nano and barely ~250kg heavier than it! Yet, this car has a 6 month waiting list!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th May 2016 at 08:56.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:11   #159
Senior - BHPian

Thank You Global NCAP!

The manufacturers here are like sitting ducks who have engaged in some devilry waiting to get pulled up by the headmaster in front of the whole school.

And thanks to T-BHP and other social mediums, the school is quite accessible unlike before. And kudos to Hindu as well, they have dedicated quote a bit of space in the business page for this news and with a pic of all the 5 cars. I couldn't see this news in some of major local newspapers.

Five Indian cars fail NCAP crash test

Coming back to the crash tests, I have the following questions.
  • How is Renault getting so many attempts? And the speed at which they are coming up with iterations point to the fact that they know quite well how to make the car crash worthy. And what about the attempt to dupe the tests by strengthening only the right side? Its a huge shame! Global NCAP did well to cry foul there.
  • What guarantee is there that Renault will sell Kwid #7 vs. Kwid #1 here in our market after Kwid #7 passes the tests somehow?
  • The way that Scorpio crumbled was a real shock. It's the second generation, sitting on a so called modern ladder frame and by no means a cheap car. And they export it too. I cannot fathom the state the cheaper ones like KUV and TUV is going to end up.
  • No comments on the ones from MSIL and Hyundai. We always knew how their models are so different under the skin for the Indian market and abroad.

And there is a limit for what can be done by Global NCAP. GOI takes a lot of tax on each car made before they are even sold. And the onus is clearly on the government to fix this huge scam.

Let's hope this doesn't get to a stage when the international markets will shy away from car made in India and exported by the global brands. India' position as a global manufacturing hub can come under heavy fire due to this. People take Global NCAP quite seriously in the matured markets.

The manufacturers who have lost their face are throwing the lack of regulations back at public. Its high time to give it back to them by the governing bodies. And I hope they do make it strict and do not give into the powerful lobby.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 09:13   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Quite True! Though some TATA & FIAT cars are relatively safer!

True that! Time for Tata, VW, Fiat & Toyota to take on Maruti on their same adage 'Kitna deti hai?'
The question now would be on safety stars rather than fuel economy !!
Old 18th May 2016, 09:18   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a relevant link to the upcoming Crash test- Bharat NCAP coming in 2017.

Indian Government has announced that the crash test regulation for the existing cars will come into effect in 2019 and for the new cars effective by October 2017

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-program.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th May 2016 at 09:31.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:18   #162
BHPian

How come none of the Indian made Honda cars been tested yet? Especially since City and Amaze are hot sellers. Also Fiat and TATA too. Would be interesting to know about them. As of now the only cars tested to have a stable body shell are the Polo, Etios and the Figo.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:39   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
As of now the only cars tested to have a stable body shell are the Polo, Etios and the Figo.
Out of which, Figo was irrelevant as they tested it just months before it was discontinued.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:40   #164
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki Celerio scored only 1 star in child safety (all others scored atleast 2).

The above could mean that higher than average impact force was transmitted to occupants of the cabin by the car's structure (instead of absorbing impact forces). Either that, or the rear seat belts holding the car seats are of lower than average quality.

I have a feeling its a seat belt issue because the baby car seat is all over the place during impact.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:43   #165
Mik
BHPian

Just watched RC Bhargava dismissing the reports on CNBC.
He mentioned that the standard tests are done at 56kmph and they meet the govt regulations. These are random voluntary tests done at 64kmph so not worth thinking about.
Also another point he said was that 56kmph translates to 112 kmph in real world. How is that possible!
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks