Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 16th April 2018, 20:13   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?

I haven't had the time to go through the whole thread but adding spikes on high traffic routes is an absolute no-no. I first saw one way spike strips in a rental car return parking lot back in 2008. These were deployed to prevent anyone jacking rental cars that were parking with keys in them after customers hurriedly dumped them back to make it back to the airport in time.

After the initial Aha! moment I thought to myself that these would be the best things to put on almost all roads of the country to prevent wrong side driving. I couldn't get the right answer as to why these strips hadn't made it to the mass market then.

However, a 2015 study by the Texas Department of Transportation clarified it all for me. post link.

EngineeringAnalysisSpikeStrips.pdf

The analysis proves that this implementation is indeed dangerous. One may argue that the study only considers freeway implementations, but I feel, the lack of speed limits on our surface streets could be as bad for these as US freeways.

More reading:

https://www.azdot.gov/media/blog/pos...-way-incidents

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2018/f...-stop-drivers/

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th April 2018 at 08:58.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 08:25   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?

After Pune fails, Jaipur Police to test traffic spikes/blade pilot project.

Quote:
Following a recent meeting, Jaipur will now test traffic spikes/blade pilot project on select roads.
Quote:
In an attempt to prevent road users from disobeying one way traffic rules and resulting accidents, the police have decided improvement can come through the installation of Traffic Spikes Barrier (Road Blade) in Jaipur City.

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th May 2018 at 08:26.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote