Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 3rd June 2018, 11:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have no patience with so many words claiming that because a car is dangerous it might as well be more dangerous.

And I have no patience for people who only want to do patch work on the symptoms but don't care about the cure...which is mostly isolating pedestrians from the roads and producing better, more skillful drivers.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 15:11   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

UK statistic, if I remember correctly... In a collision with a pedestrian, 30MPH is the speed at which death becomes likely.

We could say that all that pedestrian-protection work hasn't been very successful then! I'd hope for better.

Whatever you say about drivers and driving may be true, and I may have said the same, but pedestrian protection is vital because... Pedestrians! Worldwide.

And come on, maybe this measure or that measure is a patch on a generally awful situation in India, but still, let's do it. It's a small contribution.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 09:32   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
And I have no patience for people who only want to do patch work on the symptoms but don't care about the cure...which is mostly isolating pedestrians from the roads and producing better, more skillful drivers.
Which one do you think is more feasible? Building safer cars or building compound walls across all roads so that no pedestrian can cross roads as and when they wish? Producing better drivers is definitely my choice too, but in a country like ours, its far easier to mandate rules and guidelines on 20 manufacturers than trying to mandate millions of people. At least the former is faster. The latter will take years to turn around.

Leave the case of India. Why are such crash safety tests done in countries like Europe where almost every single driver is educated and trained correctly and the quality of roads are far better? Somehow I fail to understand why complex theories must be used to prove logical matters.

Steel crash guard = Harder than plastic bumper and sheet bonnet
Plastic crash guard = Softer than sheet bonnet but lesser area of contact
Harder material OR Lesser area of contact = Greater injuries for X speed onto an object
Bumper and bonnet = Scooping up effect
Crash guard = Pushing down effect, unless you plan to have this one:
Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-1280pxchattanooga_choochoo_locomotive.jpg
Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cowcatcher#/media/File:Chattanooga_ChooChoo_Locomotive.jpg

Pushing down effect = High chance of being run over
Scooping up effect will cause severe or fatal injuries at a moderate or high speed. However, a bull guard at a moderate or high speed will demolish the pedestrian, forget throwing them up.

Summing up the whole thing, a crash guard at 30kmph which is the typical in city speed will cause more damage to anything that comes in its way, compared to a car designed to be compliant with pedestrian crash safety norms. This is where I will stop trying to justify. Thanks for listening if you reached till here

Last edited by audioholic : 4th June 2018 at 09:34.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote