Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 16th April 2018, 21:03   #46
BHPian

Default Re: New Speed Limits for India

The limits have been set under the Central Motor Vehicles Rules. The state governments are free to set limits within these overall limits for roads in their respective states.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 21:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
The limits have been set under the Central Motor Vehicles Rules. The state governments are free to set limits within these overall limits for roads in their respective states.
I sincerely do hope they go one level deeper; especially on the last column "Other Roads".

A few examples I could think of (maybe this might sound ridiculous - but that's how un-detailed the Central Government directive is)
- Roads that pass by a school
- Roads that go through residential areas and societies
- Roads within public/private institutions (government institutions, railway stations, airports, colleges, etc)

However I sincerely welcome the directive to increase speeds on expressways and divided 4+ lane highways
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 07:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Our roads have improved over the years. These speed limits looks reasonable and in line with international standards.

IMO; If anything, these limits are to be strictly enforced within the tolerance of 10%. 😊
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2018, 12:56   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Speed limits to be increased - Up to 70 km/hr in cities & 120 km/hr on highways

I was fined today for driving at 70. I did this because I read somewhere that the new rules have been notified.

And the traffic police don't bother with triple riders without helmet driving wrong side and e-ricks which don't seem to notice red lights.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 00:20   #50

Default Re: Speed limits to be increased - Up to 70 km/hr in cities & 120 km/hr on highways

So, what is the new official speed limit on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway?
120kmph or the erstwhile 80kmph?
abhinavrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 14:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post
So, what is the new official speed limit on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway?
The speed limit on Mumbai - Pune E-way is still 80 Kmph at least as per the signs on the highway and digital signs before tunnels.

The poor taxis are limited to 80kmph anyhow and struggle to keep up with the traffic. The drivers are pretty irritated for sure and sense a possible risk of dozing off.

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 30th May 2018 at 14:11.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 11:05   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

@Amey; they take ages to change the road signs. I am quite happy with the 120kph but a bit skeptical of 70kph in city. Let us see.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 20:37   #53
BANNED

Default Revised speed limit in India

Note to MOD: I could not find any suitable thread. Kindly merge the thread if similar thread exists.

I read about the new speed limits for the Indian roads a few months ago, however could not see any new sign board regarding the new speed limits. Thus, I was following the old speed limits whenever I was out on the roads.
Today when I was going for some work, I spotted a sign put up by Delhi Traffic Police on the Golf Course Road in Dwarka which stated the new limit for cars as 70kmph and 60kmph for trucks and other big vehicles.
I stopped my car as the road was not too busy and clicked a picture of the same.
Just wanted to ask if others too spotted similar boards on the roads?
Attached Thumbnails
Speed limits to be increased - Up to 70 km/hr in cities & 120 km/hr on highways-img_20180616_153000.jpg  

Last edited by TDCIfever : 17th June 2018 at 07:41.
TDCIfever is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote