Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 15:06   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
Right approach Bang. I try to peer into the darkness that lies beyond the glare, and as you mentioned, move to the left as far as possible. What is most irritating is that even drivers of swank cars with halogen tend to drive with the high beam. Truckers, I can still excuse their ignorance, but these people?
Hmm.. strange but I have always found the truckers to be among the most accomodating in terms of lowering their beams on request.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:44   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Hmm.. strange but I have always found the truckers to be among the most accomodating in terms of lowering their beams on request.
Yes, most of them would do that on highways. They do lower their beams and let you overtake. I find Bombay-Ahmedabad highway truckers to be the best in this regard. Somehow their entire attitude changes in city. Calcutta's D.H.Road is rather narrow just beyond the city limits, and with trucks and buses on highbeam, it is a challenge.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:41   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
yea! with freak as most truckers do acknowledge the dim dip sequence but some nerds are simply spell bound and many do give a strange stare back @ you.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:46   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild View Post

spotting a bad driver hmm..
1: Karnataka registered Yellow plated white Tata Indica, Toyota Qualis, Tata sumo. May be not always true but most of them for sure!
2: Car going slow in middle and wont leave space for other vehicles to move from side.
3: Car standing in Signal with highbeam, foglamps on!
4: Car behind you with Head lights dim & dip in crazy succession, Even when no place to go!
5: Car's with every known brand sticker on the driver side door.
Sir you need to be careful about "Yellow" boards anywhere...not only KA reg
people are complainting about it every where not just in bangalore.
Old 15th August 2007, 19:55   #320
Senior - BHPian

ajmat, that is a wonderful collection . you have covered all the key points that one normally comes across in city traffic. Beautiful !
Old 15th August 2007, 20:08   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Keep the WS clean, Hi beam glare is more dangerous on a non lighted stretch.
I agree with lohithrao. Keeping our windscreen clean is key to reducing the glare from the high-beam lights from the front. When going on long journeys at night by car, i make it a point to wash the windscreen with water and wipe it clean and dry with newspaper . you will be surprised with the effect this has. Even the brightest high-beam light in front has zero-glare on your windscreen, and you can drive safely by keeping your eyes on the area right in from of your vehicle without looking directly into the headlights in front.
Old 15th August 2007, 22:10   #322
BHPian

Some drivers drive very fast on open or on less traffic roads and overtake all vehicles but when they are caught in heavy traffic they could not find their way out and tend to show their inexperience.
Old 20th August 2007, 14:05   #323
Senior - BHPian

My wife played a neat trick last week. She was actually scared of driving the WagonR thru evening traffic from Sec'bad to Somajiguda via the dreaded Begumpet stretch.
She cleverly spotted a bad driver--a call centre cab, and tailed him all along. She reached home half an hour before we expected her !
So the moral of the story is that sometimes bad drivers can be used to your advantage!
Old 20th August 2007, 14:30   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My wife played a neat trick last week. She was actually scared of driving the WagonR thru evening traffic from Sec'bad to Somajiguda via the dreaded Begumpet stretch.
She cleverly spotted a bad driver--a call centre cab, and tailed him all along. She reached home half an hour before we expected her !
So the moral of the story is that sometimes bad drivers can be used to your advantage!
Hmmm, but at putting your life at risk by swerving in and out of lanes as those cabbies usually do
Old 20th August 2007, 15:11   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
yea shravan316
its so frustratin.....ur doin about 80 -100 and then u havta slow down to 30 n start honkin n wait for them to move......hate tht......
I agree with you on principle, but there is the other side of this story. Our trucks are overloaded, underpowered and several times improperly loaded. Hence truckers find it safest to stick to center of the road (incase of undivided roads) or to the median in case of roads with a central median. Its better that he travels @40kmph on the road center instead of toppling/causing accidents.
Old 20th August 2007, 19:34   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Hyderabad is effing scary! I'd driven down from Pune once and my Corsa was in a basement parking for 3 days after my first "day trip" around Hyd. I think I've stopped cursing Pune traffic after that visit.
vikram, u said it! I moved to H'bad from B'lore, and the first look at the wide roads made me feel hopeful. But sadly this happiness was short lived - roads don't make a difference when nobody wants to follow rules.

In B'lore I used to feel 'tired' after driving for an hour, coz of the bumper to bumper traffic, but here I feel really 'stressed out' after driving for even half an hour. Using the dipper at night, flashing headlights at oncoming traffic for right of way, stopping at signals - nothing! In fact I'm most sorry or the pedestrians here, coz in the zeal to have the widest roads there aren't functional footpaths.

Mods: sorry for going slightly off-topic!
Old 27th August 2007, 12:51   #327

right now im in mumbai and ive noticed that cars that do have headlights usually use high beam or a really strong version of headlights so that my eyes sting. There are also cars that drive without headlights at night and i dont see them untill the last minute, taxis and rickshaws mostly. And whats the deal with cars driving with their emergency ligts/flashers on all the time?
Old 27th August 2007, 16:29   #328
BHPian

Don't know if this is the right post to mention this, but here is my experience. Well, I live at basavangudi and travel to C V Raman Nagar for work. I love my area and the roads and the adjoining areas too (Jayanagar, banashankari). Well, the main point being the driving sense in Jayanagar is awesome, never have had any problems and the roads are wide with dividers n all. But, everyday when I reach Indirangar (100ft road/80 ft road), it's nice to see the wide roads but the driving sense is horrible. One of the biggest problems in Indira Nagar is the cars are parked on either side of the road and so the "wide road" isnt actually wide enough. And the way people drive is way too rash. Those rash drivers may reach their destination 5 mins late, but they dont realize the harm they could cause. And no, most of them are not cabs it's the normal drivers. Personally, I have narrowly missed one accord, one honda city and one merc in one single road! So, all people who take that road from 100ft to 80ft (the Sakhi road) watch out and be a bit careful.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:30   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshshanmugam View Post
Dont know if my observation is true - the bad driver's car hardly gets bumped! It is us who get our car bumped as we take preventive/ frustrated steps to avoid them!
Whenever I sit in my friend's car(who belongs to the category of bad drivers), I am on my toes and pushing the foot board of the passenger seat in fear and frustration. But not a bump on his car! He may get screamed at and if some of the glares he gets could cut, he and his car would be in million pieces by now.
On the other hand twice I have been bumped in the rear for braking suddenly to avoid colliding in to the car in front.
Does anyone agree?
Mahesh
In hyderabad, all I can see is the huge no of dents on all the cars. So surely the bad drivers do get bumped
Old 4th September 2007, 16:38   #330
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ajmat;45780]I
3: Ambassadors – especially taxi/ yellow plates – they have nothing to lose – exception – polished black Ambys driven by respectable old men
quote]

We should add the below to the list
1) Call center cabs (indica) with the smiley and call me number
2) Maharastra state transport buses (ST Bus)
3) Yamaha rx100 with proton exhausts (making loud sounds and doing a crazy 70kmph, weaving in and out of traffic and changing lanes merrily)

Most Viewed