Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 21:08   #9031
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

If this place wasn't a million miles from civilization, I'd get down and walk.
If there was another mode of transport available close by, I'd take it.
If I was physically bigger than the guy, I'd take over the wheel and put him in the trunk for good measure.

I've actually done the first two, not big or scary enough to do the third (plus it's probably illegal in most places), but it hasn't ever come to that, yet

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th February 2017 at 21:11.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 23:34   #9032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If there was another mode of transport available close by, I'd take it.
This idea did cross my mind but he mellow downed so I thought before all hell broke loose towards the end of the journey.

Now I made it crystal clear, if he did drive like this in future I will not continue the journey along with him.

The irony here is, he is a holder of Swedish driving licence having gone through all risk taking courses where you will be subjected to losing traction on icy road, aquaplaning, moose test etc. Just now I had a small discussion with him about his risky driving, his answer was 'this is how you learn'.

He knows all the danger, less reaction time, unknow traction level but still drove like that. Rational mind making irrational choices.
Old 14th February 2017, 10:32   #9033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Fellow bhpians, what would you do if you were in my shoes?
If the car belongs to any travel agency, I would call the travel agency owner and ask him to take immediate action of calling the driver and warn him to be within limits

If it is my own car, I would warn him again to be driving within limits per law. If he does not listen to me, I would call the police who stay in the upcoming city/village and formally complain against this driver's rash driving.

Whether the police takes action or not, the driver will definitely take the complaint seriously and act responsibly.

Last but not least, I would immediately ask him to stop the car and take the car myself for driving (Assuming it is my car). After all, I am a driving addict and driving 1100 kms is like eating Honey cake for me !!
Old 15th February 2017, 10:40   #9034
BHPian

So this just happened...

MH01CH4062
White Hyundai Creta
Well educated guy with a daughter and a dog in his car,
Decides to make an illegal right turn.

He is standing right below the board that says NO RIGHT TURN

And ends up blocking traffic.
My car which was coming down straight can't move because he has blocked the road.

He wants me to backup. But there's traffic piling behind.

I just sit. No gesturing nothing. I just take my hands off the steering wheel and sit waiting for him to backup.
He waits.
Then gets down walks over to my car.
I role down the window.

"look man I am just trying to take a right turn. Don't be a jerk"

ME. There's a turn 10 meters ahead. The legal right turn. Here's a board that says that no right turn.

Him. "listen man. I don't agree with this board. It's a stupid law they passed. They shouldn't have blocked this road. So I don't agree this should be a no right turn."

Me: it's not for you or me to agree. It's the law. It's written right there.

Him. "so you are going to continue being a jerk about this?"

Me. "I think you are being one."

Then he proceeds to try to slap me and get inside my car and hit me.

I step out of my car. He runs back to his and shouts let me just drop my daughter and I will come back right here and f**k you up.

At this point I take out my phone and try to record him.
Sorry no dashcam :(

But it's too late. He goes off tyres screeching while his own daughter looks visibly distraught at her father's behaviour.

Now, this entire conversation was in English coming from an affluent educated guy!

If such people don't wish to 'agree' with the law I don't think we can expect others too.
If he isn't ashamed of this kind of behaviour I don't think it will ever make anyone change.

I don't have any recordings, so I am not sure if I can approach the cops for any violations.
I checked. No cameras at the junction either.
For those who know this is the no right turn after Gurukripa Hotel leading to Sion Circle. Mumbai.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:48   #9035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
...... his answer was 'this is how you learn'.....
While most people undeniably learn from their own mistakes no matter how many examples they have beforehand, it's important to realise it's no use if the 'Aha!' moment is the last one before you meet your maker. I hope it doesn't come to that for your friend.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:30   #9036
BHPian

As if driving in a zig zag manner was not enough, cutting me from the left was not enough, changing lanes on the BETL Flyover was not enough, the lady was also constantly on the phone
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20170214_094717_01.jpg  

Old 15th February 2017, 13:30   #9037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

I step out of my car. He runs back to his and shouts let me just drop my daughter and I will come back right here and f**k you up.
I really find it amusing when someone expects you to wait at the same spot so that they can come back and continue the fight.

I don't have words to describe this man. Pathetic attitude and behaviour plus no consideration for safety of his family. If it was a hot headed guy in your place who is ready for a fight and something really nasty happened, imagine the condition of the poor kid in the car.
Kiterunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 13:48   #9038
BHPian

I would like to share a scary incident that happened to me. I was driving from Kochi to Bangalore via NH 47 accompanied by my wife. Both of us were wearing seatbelts. I was doing speeds of about 100 - 105 kmph which is a comfortable speed in 6th gear for my Diesel i20. It was a four lane highway and I was keeping to the fast lane towards the right. Ahead I could see a biker with a pillion rider travelling in my same direction on the extreme left of the road even beyond the solid line that marks the shoulder. He was probably doing 30 - 40 kmph.

The way he was riding it never looked like he would come into my path crossing a whole lane and a half and so I kept my speed. When I reached hardly 20 meters behind this guy, he suddenly sees a cut in the median and decides to take a right turn. He initiates the turn first, then switches on his right indicator and begins to merge from the shoulder into the left lane and continues to merge on to the right lane where I am headed. All this while not even looking over his shoulder to check if something was headed his way or not.

From the trajectory of both vehicles, it looked like an intersection point would happen right at the gap in the median. I could not turn left to avoid because I would definitely knock him over as he did not carry enough speed to clear my path. I could not turn right as there was the median on my right. All these thoughts while searching for an escape route, I was standing on the brake pedal. It looked like a collision was inevitable but suddenly the median thinned out and gave way to another lane on my right. My front bumper was almost kissing his bike's rear this time and I turned the wheel to the right still standing on the brakes. The front end of my car came level with the pillion for a moment and then my vehicle stopped in the new lane quite far from the gap in the median. The guy calmly putters in front of me and takes his leisurely U turn and continues on his way. Wow!

The pillion rider had the fright of his life, I'm sure, because he was seeing the whole thing with his eyes along with the tyres screeching (ABS was banging away under me, but intermittent tyre screeches were heard). He was trying to fend off the car with his hand at the last moment while my left fender came level with him before stopping.

I have seen many instances of bikers, moped riders, villagers driving/riding all sorts of contraptions on the highways here with barely any regard for other road users. They just want to go where they want. Seems like they have least concern for their own lives, in the process creating trouble for others. A lesson learnt here is ABS really does not always help to stop the car on a dime but it will do its best to help you avoid a collision when possible. Also the seatbelt saved my better half from banging her face on the dashboard. It is always best not to trust villagers to stay out of your way even if they seem to. It looks like a herculean task to educate them on road safety or etiquette.
alphahere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 14:18   #9039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post

The way he was riding it never looked like he would come into my path crossing a whole lane and a half and so I kept my speed. When I reached hardly 20 meters behind this guy, he suddenly sees a cut in the median and decides to take a right turn. He initiates the turn first, then switches on his right indicator and begins to merge from the shoulder into the left lane and continues to merge on to the right lane where I am headed. All this while not even looking over his shoulder to check if something was headed his way or not.
I had posted a dashcam video of a similar incident which happened to me. At night, no rear lights on the bike forget indicators :(

And for the person who got slapped [sorry too lazy to multiquote], talk with small gap in window. Never lower window completely while talking to such people. What was he even thinking? I dont agree with the law
Old 15th February 2017, 14:33   #9040
BHPian

Yesterday night, after a hard day's work, was heading back home in the swarm of ORR Traffic from Kadubeesanahalli to Sarjapur Flyover (and beyond) - Usual Routine, nothing special. But right after Ecospace, we started moving up the flyover. Traffic was at crawling pace as usual till the flyover entry point. It so happened that a small gap opened up due to traffic splitting above and below the flyover. The "L-Board" EcoSport in front of me sped up and I gradually started following him/her. The person braked hard and I did the same.., and "BANG!". The i20 behind me was hit by an Etios Cab and he in turn lost it and had hit me. So, the order is EcoSport < Getz < i20 < Mr. Culprit Etios.

Went back to inspect what had gone wrong.., did not notice anything significant and stayed cool while Mr. i20 and Mr. Etios fought it out verbally. I told Mr. i20 that it was fine and I would be on my way, but this is where he made me lose my cool. He told "You should have known dude"... Wonder what he meant by that, but I told him that I did what I had to do by not hitting the guy in front and braked. I did not even blame him since he also braked behind me. We're cool till that point, but it was the mistake of Mr. Etios and this guy is unable to talk sense to him and trying to put the blame on me As they say, common sense is not very common.

The irony of the whole situation was that I was indulged in a conversation with my colleague on one of incident which happened two years ago which was regarding another tail-gating event by an auto driver. That incident was posted by me in this link.

Sometimes I wonder if events and conversations are linked... If that's the case, I'll only talk about visiting another planet

The video below has the whole incident and it's prologue (PS: Please skip to 2m23s for the actual incident explained above).

Last edited by navin : 16th February 2017 at 13:35. Reason: spelling
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 19:43   #9041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Sometimes I wonder if events and conversations are linked... If that's the case, I'll only talk about visiting another planet
Talk about Law of attraction! . You have good narration skills, I enjoyed your audio also . Even considering that the darn road is always choked and one cannot go fast!I have seen many rear-endings happening and skirmishes also -
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 19:49   #9042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
So this just happened...

MH01CH4062
White Hyundai Creta
Well educated guy with a daughter and a dog in his car,
Decides to make an illegal right turn.
When the rich and famous can get away with murder on our roads, what's an illegal right turn except for a minor inconvenience?
Old 16th February 2017, 12:07   #9043
BHPian

So, this is what happened today!

A girl should be in her 20's driving a Red Range Rover Evoque (Number plates in white with Brass font) was bullying every single vehicle (I mean it) right from Ekkatuthangal till Chrompet. Cutting across lanes, Loud honking and what not

She just missed knocking down a pedestrian at Pallavaram while trying to overtake a bus from the left!
Old 16th February 2017, 12:35   #9044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
So, this is what happened today!

A girl should be in her 20's driving a Red Range Rover Evoque (Number plates in white with Brass font) was bullying every single vehicle (I mean it) right from Ekkatuthangal till Chrompet. Cutting across lanes, Loud honking and what not

She just missed knocking down a pedestrian at Pallavaram while trying to overtake a bus from the left!

Hope (But Donot wish) to see the continuation of this post tomorrow in "Pics: Accidents in India" !

If I were you, would have taken a photo and uploaded immediately in Police App Public Eye (Active in Karnataka)

Last edited by gkveda : 16th February 2017 at 12:37.
Old 16th February 2017, 12:48   #9045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
It is always best not to trust villagers to stay out of your way even if they seem to. It looks like a herculean task to educate them on road safety or etiquette.
Rule of thumb: Always honk when you are passing two wheelers especially on the highways.

Doesn't matter if the road is clear or not, you can never ever trust which way these idiots will move next.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed