Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th May 2011, 23:52   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bhubaneswar to Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
note to take a right turn in the Dalkola Bazaar and rejoin NH34 some kms up north in case you see massive jam at the level crossing. Expect moderate speeds and lots of swearing!
You know that route, thats a sweet route to take.

We can't take that road as my route is different, though have sometimes taken it to get out of the mess.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 21:56   #32
BHPian

Gentlemen,
I shall be driving from my home in Calcutta to Pelling (in west Sikkim) this week. Regarding the time to start my journy, I have two options. I may either start from here on Wednesday at the evening or I may start from here on Thursday, early in the morning. I shall be only driver in my Tata Indigo car (2005, Petrol) and shall be accompanied by my wife and eleven year old daughter. As traffic on the usually busy NH 34 will remain less, I may not waste much time while driving at night in Dalkhola level crossing gate and near Kishanganj. Thus I shall reach Shilliguri comfortably in the morning. Moreover, at this time of year, traveling by night I find that the temperature outside will be cooler, no need for AC in open road after midnight. Many of my friends prefer driving in this stretch at night.
On the other hand I am not very familiar with NH34 (beyond Maldah) and NH31. Seeking proper direction may be an issue at night. It will be more difficult to locate the potholes at night, if the condition of the road is not good. And as NH34 is an undivided road, trucks driving at night with high beams may cause driving difficult and somewhat scary (although I have recently upgraded my stock headlamps with Osram 90W-130 bulbs).
I shall now like to take your advice, specially from those of you who have driven on this section in recent times, as to what time shall I start from Calcutta? Will driving by night or during the day will be better for me? I shall be very grateful if any kind hearted gentleman please help me to decide my time of journey.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas

Last edited by rahul4640 : 15th May 2011 at 22:01. Reason: spelling checks
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 09:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, NH34 is a straight road from Malda till Dalkola where you join the 4-laned NH31 all the way to Siliguri. No scope for any confusion.

I have driven through the night, having left Calcutta at 530 pm and found it very easy, there bing no traffic, and you should comfortably reach Siliguri in under 12 hours, even after taking a dinner halt and maybe a small nap.

I did not find any jams at Dalkola town at night.

Remember that being summer time, there is going to be a lot of truck traffic on all highways.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 12:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember to take a right at Dalkola (Purnea More, under the over-bridge), else I shall welcome you with coffee (if you take left, ether is no straight BTW)

There are markings too stating the same.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 00:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Remember to take a right at Dalkola (Purnea More, under the over-bridge), else I shall welcome you with coffee
Thanks for the offer, Sheel. I shall definitely love to visit Purnea one day and have a cup of coffee with you. Meanwhile, please send me a PM if you are visiting Kolkata anytime sooner and I shall surely like to have a cup of coffee together.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:06   #36
BHPian

Gentlemen,
Just reached home after a trip to Sikkim. On my way from Calcutta to Siliguri, there was a major traffic jam just after Omarpur, where I was struck for four hours (on 19/05/11). Starting from Calcutta at five in the morning, reached Siliguri at half past eight at the evening. NH34 still needs major improvement of the surface, apart from widening. But reaching Dalkhola level crossing gate at around 05-30 PM, I was surprised not to see any traffic jam. I became so accustomed by the bad roads that by the time I reached Kishanganj, the big speed-breakers did not have any effect on me and I managed it beautifully.

While returning back took the Moregram-Panagarh route. After Nalhati the road improved. Although this road also had lunar-crater sized very big potholes, they may be seen from a considerable distance and easily avoided, the road being significantly wider and also having less traffic than NH34. Overtaking was not also an issue on this road, as the road is wide enough for three cars to run past one another. Road repair is going on too, although I do not know whether the total length will be repaired or not. Starting from Siliguri at about half past six in the morning, reached home at Calcutta at about 08-30 PM. But there was a traffic jam at Panagarh, which delayed my journey by forty-five minutes.

Thanks again for your inputs in this forum gentlemen, I never was lost on my trip. Although I stopped occasionally to make sure that I was on the right direction, it was only when I had almost entered Siliguri and darkness had set in completely.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:33   #37
Joy
BHPian

@rahul4640: Can you please give some road inputs between Barasat and Moregram?

Though my trip has been postponed, I would definitely want to know the present road conditions.

Thanks in advance.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 00:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Can you please give some road inputs between Barasat and Moregram? Though my trip has been postponed, I would definitely want to know the present road conditions.
I shall say that driving on this part of the road is tiresome and may not give you much pleasure. The road has potholes too, although these potholes may be managed if you drive with caution. But I think that it will be better if you take the Kalyani Expressway, rather than taking this road (NH 34), specially if you start in the morning. This is because apart from the trucks and the buses, NH 34 is also full of slow moving vehicles, motorised van-rickshaws, cycles, motor bikes, etc, at that time.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Agree. Kalyani expressway has now been extended upto Birati.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Agree. Kalyani expressway has now been extended upto Birati.

Regards
Sutripta
Can you explain this route? What will be the benefits of taking the Kalyani Expressway - to avoid NH34 till where? Thanks
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Take the Birati road (opposite airport) for ~3 Km for start of Kalyani expressway. Meet NH34 at Jaguli. You avoid 34 Km of very congested NH34.

Note that it is nowhere close to what an expressway should be, but preferable to NH34.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 09:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Take the Birati road (opposite airport) for ~3 Km for start of Kalyani expressway. Meet NH34 at Jaguli. You avoid 34 Km of very congested NH34.
This is the route. But Google map is not showing the extension upto Birati. Possibly not been updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Darjeeling Route, Queries etc.-untitled.jpg  

Old 4th June 2011, 09:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Is it really worth taking the diversion?? I mean how much time would you actually save, or are the road conditions much better??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 11:25   #44
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
Hi,
Is this the road which takes you towards the Birati railway station from Jessore Road?

Also, would like to know about julupani's query.

Thanks in advance.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 12:31   #45
BHPian

Hi there, looks like you are busy planning your road route from kol to siliguri. well my update is from Siliguri to Darjeeling. I was in darjeeling a week ago and it was my frist trip to darjeeling in 2011 (i live in siliguri) and i must say the road from siliguri to darjeeling is in fair state compared to previous years. But dont expect good roads as fair for these parts is probably bad for people from the metros. But I will add that the condition is the best it has been in the last 4 years that i have been in siliguri/darjeeling.

If you are following google maps then there is a mistake on the map. The mistake being that they have two roads heading up to Darjeeling, one is marked as NH 55 and the other as Hill Cart Road. In Reality Hill Cart road is NH 55. And the road marked as NH55 on google maps is a secondary highway, I think it is SH34 but am not sure of the number though, will let u know next time i am on that road.

And Since last june NH 55 From sukna to Kurseong is closed due to a massive landslide. The route which most taxi and truck drivers are using now is the Rohini Road as marked on the map. But due to heavy trucks using the road, a 20km section between siliguri to kurseong is in extremely bad state. With deep ruts in some parts and if you are not careful your car will bottom out. Tarmac is pretty much non existant in about 8kms of the 20 km stretch.

The route i use is the Pankhabari route which is listed on the map as well . The road is in fair state. But this is a very narrow road, which is extremely steep with hairpin turns one after another and you really have to know the road well as in some places u have to stop in specified places in order for incoming cars to pass. And if you dont, then there will be a jam with the new driver receiving verbal abuse from regular drivers. Plus the pankhabari road is usually one way after 8am. with up traffic not allowed from 8am-7pm. So if you want to use this road then you have to leave siliguri no later than 7-715 am in order to get to a place called Garidhura, where there is a police post. Once you pass that police post, even if its 9, 10 am, it wont matter. So get there early, cross the police post then stop for breakfast. Thats what i do.

Both these roads will take you to Kurseong from where you join NH 55. From there the road to darjeeling is not too steep and is wider compared to Rohini and Pankhabari.

There is another route which people take, that is the route Siliguri-Mirik-Ghoom-Darjeeling. Its a much longer route, about 30% longer, more scenic and lesser traffic. But i have not traveled this road in a while so cant tell u exactly what the roads are line now. But in all probability the roads must be ok as this is not a very busy route.

If you need any info feel free to ask.
http://maps.google.com/maps/empw?url...%3Dembed&hl=en

P.S can someone tell me how to post full google maps in my posts like done above?

Last edited by amrisharm : 4th June 2011 at 12:41.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote