Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th May 2011, 19:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Bhubaneshwar (NH5) - Jameshdpur and back -4000km Planning stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Similarly Tatanagar to Vizag will be about 15hours by my reckoning, 7hours till Bhubaneswar and another 8hours to Vizag. Again assuming you are lucky here, as some bad luck in the 2lane section and at the border can take this upto 17-18hours.
Thus I would suggest breaking the journey at Vizianagaram, or may be even earlier at Berhampur.
Thanks, I see your point.
You suggested Berhampur or Vizianagaram as stops.

Will it be a good idea to cover the OR-AP border (and the Jam) and halt in AP? So that the Jam is covered towards the end of the day, than starting a new day with a Jam? If yes, than what would be the next best stop on NH5 GQ after entering AP border (from Orissa side)? i.e. is there anything in between AP border and Vizianagaram? Is Srikakulam an option?

Will also change the other timelines as per your suggestions...

Last edited by ST7677 : 10th May 2011 at 19:53.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Bhubaneshwar (NH5) - Jameshdpur and back -4000km Planning stage

The first sort of major town closest to the border would probably be Palasa, though I think the best option would be Srikakulam where you are sure to get decent accomodation. But Srikakulam is still a good 120kms from the border, which is why I would suggest Berhampur to be your best bet for the 1st overnight.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 00:24   #18
BHPian

I did this trip in late 2008 along with my cousin.
These were my timings :
Bangalore to Vijaywada ( via Tirupati, Nayidupet ) : Started at 3PM from bangalore and reached Vijaywada at 3:30 AM. Breaks in Tirupati for dinner and couple of tea breaks. Road Condition was Excellent.
Vijaywada to Jamshedpur ( Via Vizag, Srikakulam, Balasore, Jharphokaria, Baripada ) : Started at around 1 Pm from Vijaywada. Reached Vizag around 11 PM ( 3 breaks in between). Continued and reached AP/Orissa border around 4 AM ( slept for hour and half in my car ). The road was very bad in border. It was better once we cross Balugoan. Reached Bhubneshwar by 8 AM. Had break for about 1.5 hrs for breakfast. Reached Balasore by 1 PM ( roads were good till Soro and then was real bad till Balasore). Took left to Jharpokharia ( Roads was OK ). Reached Baripada at around 5:30 pm ( 2-3 breaks in between). Reached Jamshedpur by 7:30 pm.

I was the only driver. Was driving Maruti Alto. I dont go beyond 80 Kmph.
I guess you should have fair idea about how much time it takes.

Baripada road ( when you cross border check point ) is like orphan kid. Its really bad. Your Honda with less GC will definitely take some hit.
Avoid Baripada - Jamshedpur in night. My suggestion is all your travel after Jajpur should be done in daylight.
Enjoy.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th May 2011 at 00:48. Reason: Back to back posts, please use EDIT after post is approved. Thanks
yogesh.janghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 07:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Yogesh

The NH5 between Jajpur Road and Balasore is almost complete now, only a pair of brideges near Soro I think still need to be completed. Road conditions have changed quite a bit since late 2008. Lots happens in 2 and half years time.

Though I have to say, you made very good time, thanks to overnighting long sections, without all the truck traffic, making it easy to maintain speed. If you are ready to drive 18-20hours a day, with a few breaks, there is no reason why you cant comfortably cover around 1000-1200kms a day. But doing that much driving is not everyone's cup of tea, nor is it recommended.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 12:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

I will keep it relaxed over 2.5 days, only day driving, no night driving. The revised plan is like this

Going
Day 1 - Bangalore – Rajahmundari – 815 km (Via Chitoor) / 875km (via GQ) – 14 hrs – from 4:30am to 6:30pm
Instead of Rajahmundari, Vijaywada will be backup stop if we are running behind schedule.

Day 2 – Rajahmundari – Bhubhaneshwar – 630km – 11.5 hrs – 5am to 4:30pm

Day 3 – Bhubhaneshwar – Tatanagar - 414 km – 7.5 hrs – 5am to 12:30pm

Return
Day 1 – Tatanagar – Vishakhapatnam – 800/850km – 16 hrs - 6am to 10pm
backup halt at Srikakulam– 750km - 14 hrs 6am to 8pm
Will continue to Vishakhapatnam only if there is no jam at OR-AP border and we are lucky to reach Srikakulam by 6 - 6:30pm
Day 2 – Vizag – Tirupati – 812km 11.5hrs
Day 3 – Tirupati - Bangalore – 252km 5hrs

I assume (on return leg) it is not safe to leave tatanagar before 6am, hence starting late...
Old 11th May 2011, 21:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The NH5 between Jajpur Road and Balasore is almost complete now, only a pair of brideges near Soro I think still need to be completed. Road conditions have changed quite a bit since late 2008.
Yes, during my trip to Puri from Calcutta by car less than two months ago I had seen that the work was almost complete and in those sections where the road did not have a divider, it was sufficiently smooth and wide. In fact I could comfortably make it to Puri from Calcutta in about eight hours, with brakes.
@ ST7677
I am confident that you will manage to successfully execute your driving plans. And I also guess that with your Honda Civic, you will possibly reach Bhubaneswar from Rajamundry ahead of your schedule, if you are not struck behind the long line of trucks in the AP-OR border.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 23:21   #22
BHPian

Thanks guys for the latest road conditions. I will be eagerly waiting for this road trip updates. Enjoy.
yogesh.janghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sure Yogesh, will post detailed updates once complete this trip...

Meanwhile, due to change in some planned events, I now have few more days in hand and was wondering whether to cover more places or to reduce the itinerary duration (and do more work at office)!

First thought of proceeding to Darjeeling, but seems like monsoons would start by then and that ruled it out.

Wondering if there are any other good tourist attractions along this route....
I don't want to simply fill up the tour with these, but will like to add them only if they are good enough... and can be done during peak summer of June.

Last edited by ST7677 : 23rd May 2011 at 16:42.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Detour to Puri-Konark is obvious, another small one to Chandipur near Baleswar is another. Then there is Gopalpur near Berhampur.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
That used to be my short Orissa run, and in season, Simlipal thrown in.

Has Simlipal reopened? Can one go in now? And stay there?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:05   #26
BHPian

My opinion on the BBSR JSR section
  • Your predicated timing (via GQ and NH33 - Jamsola checkpost) is spot on. I have followed exactly the same time of depart and arrival. The NH between Jhamsola and JSR is in reasonably good condition though unsafe by design in a few stretches. Jamsola border crossing is a breeze now.
  • Your second route (via Rairangpur) is good too. The SH stretch to JSR from NH5 was recently strengthened, straightened and widened. Its still a WIP and have a few nasty diversions. These, and the monster speed breakers (about 30) near JSR, could be the deal breaker for you
  • Since its your first visit I would recommend you stick to NH33 via Jamsola. While going back you can take a call on the other route.
  • The so called Maoist scare should not bother you, however I will recommended to plan your arrival no later than 6pm at JSR. There have been instances of highway robbery most notably between 7pm to 11pm in some lonely places. Outbound you can depart JSR at 4AM. But be wary of cyclists from nearby villages who are riding into JSR for their morning work shits that starts at 6AM. They travel in a bunch and try a bit of F1 stunts.
  • I am being conservative in my safety advice. I have driven late at night thro these stretches without much ado. It ain't so bad as it would seem to be. Beyond 11pm there is heavy CV vehicle moment as the traffic restriction to JSR is lifted at 10pm.
Do PM me for my cell number. I will be happy to be of any assistance during your in/out bound drive to Jamshedpur or while you are here. Best of Luck !
drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 20:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Julupani, Sutripta, Drive_factor

Will Chandipur or Gopalpur be a good idea in mid of June?
Won't it be too hot, except morning / evenings?
If I do these beaches as detour for say an hour (on the beach) - is it worth (that would probably cost 3-4 hrs on main schedule), also are changing / washing room available so that we can continue our journey without salt water stickiness...

Konark and Jagannath Temple are included in the plan by default. Planning to do them on day 2, after Rajahmundry to Bhubaneshwar drive. I will be staying over at Puri.

Also planning to stay an Extra day at Vishakhapatnam and cover:
  • Rushikonda / Rama Krishna beach - early in the morning
  • Submarine Museum, the first Museum in Asia to be build off a Submarine. Some time during the day.
  • Matsya Darshini (Auarium)
  • VUDA Children's theater - if anything's on
  • Bora caves (90km) 2 hrs drive from Vizag. - Planning to do this in afternoon. Hopefully the cave will be a cool place.
  • VUDA Childrens Park - Some time during early evening
  • The Kailasagiri : A Beautiful Hill peeping onto the sea with a panoramic sea view and serene atmosphere.Travel through the ropeway (2 mins) and the view of the city, a toy train ride , idols of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, nice park etc. - Some time during late evening
  • Not planning to go to Araku Valley.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

While going from Vizag to Jamshedpur, I will also be going to Konark and Puri. (Puri will be the night halt). So if I leave Vizag by 6am I would be in Puri by about 4pm.

Now what is the best option (In either case I have to return back to Puri for night halt)
1. Visit Jagannath temple first and then proceed towards Konark temple or
2. First go to Konark temple and then come back to Jagannath temple in Puri

What are the darshan/visiting timings at both these temples? And how many hours are required at each place?

What is suggested route for going to Konark from GQ
1. Khorda - Pipili - Nimapada - Gop - Konark road (shown in map) or
2. Khorda - Pipili - Puri - Konark or
3. Bhubaneshwar - Pipili - Puri - Konark

Konark to Puri return will obviously be through the sea side direct road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
Do PM me for my cell number. I will be happy to be of any assistance during your in/out bound drive to Jamshedpur or while you are here. Best of Luck !
Thanks DF, I cannot PM you yet (may be because you are new member), may be you can PM me your phone number.
Attached Images

Last edited by ST7677 : 26th May 2011 at 18:25.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

First visit Konark itself, then spend some time at Chandrabhaga beach near Konark, and then proceed to Puri would be my suggestion. There is no darshan at Konark, its a dead temple. It's just some magnificent architecture. The temple remains open in the evenings too, but lighting at night is minimal, and not conducive to admiring the temple fully.

Visiting Puri temple would not be a good idea around 5-7pm as this is the time most localites visit, thus a very heavy rush time. You can go comparatively late in the night post 7.30pm. The temple remains open very late into the night, generally 10-11pm, or even later, as long as the day's rituals are not complete. But if you want to get close, ie inside the main sanctum, timings are limited. They are not fixed, as they depend on how timely the rituals are on a particular day.

A question, when will you be in Puri?? As this is the time before the Rath Yatra and there are many rituals and auspicious days with heavy rush. And if you are in Puri after 15th of June, you wont get a darshan at all.

As for the route, the route in the above pic is the one I suggest. Section between NH5 and Pipili is not great but decent. Pipili to Konark is slightly better. The sea side route between Konark and Puri is in great shape.

The turn towards Jatni from the NH5 is easy to miss, as the highway passes over on a flyover. It is the point when you turn off towards Khurda, which is on the left and not the right. Ask for the turn towards Jatni and you should be fine.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 23:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Thanks DF, I cannot PM you yet (may be because you are new member), may be you can PM me your phone number.
Even i cant see the PM button. Pls email me as b h t 5 1 8 0 (at) g m a i l. I am leaving tomorrow on a 3K km trip around north india. Should be back by 10th June. Thanks.
drive_factor is offline   Reply With Quote