Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th May 2011, 20:18   #1

Default Mumbai -> Manali Driving Route

hi i am travelling from mumbai to manali in my skoda superb on this tuesday 17th may.
the plan is as follows:
17th may mumbai to udaipur
18th may udaipur to chandigarh
19th may chandigarh to manali.
wanted the following information/advice:
1. how is road and traffic conditions on the road?
2. i would be driving to rohtang pass, any special care to be taken while driving at high altitudes.
3. is the abovementioned travel plan feasible?
4. while travelling from udaipur to chandigarh can i avoid delhi?
inteldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 00:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: travelling from mumbai to manali

Quote:
17th may mumbai to udaipur
18th may udaipur to chandigarh
First Day will require travel of at least 14-16 Hours depending on the time you start , HVK & team did this in about 12 hours as they started at 3 :00 AM

Udaipur to Jaipur - about 5 Hours - Jaipur - Delhi - 5 -6 hours - Delhi - Chandigarh - 5 hours so again around 15 - 17 hours

Follow Udaipur - Bhilwara - Kishangarh route only . NH8 is bit shorter but 2 lane on Udaipur - Ajmer section choked with truckers .
Chandigarh - Manali - doable in less than 7 - 8 hours

So I will advise you to target delhi or at Panipat on Day 2 instead of Chandigarh and then on 3rd Day you can easily do Panipat or even delhi to Manali in 12 Hours , better stay somewhere on Highway after crossing delhi so that you start fresh , you can stay in Haryana Tourism hotel at Rai or in Panipat in tourism or private Hotels .

Rohtang Pass - Did you checked on this , i dont think its going to get open any time soon - have a look -
Manali - Leh road status 2011 - Page 35 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring

Quote:
any special care to be taken while driving at high altitudes
You will have to drive carefully on Kulu - Manali sections as roads are not very good - only worry can be low ground clearance - i dont have experience about Superb so really cant comment but you have to be careful for this part only - rest nothing to worry ..
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 09:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteldriver View Post
wanted the following information/advice:
2. i would be driving to rohtang pass, any special care to be taken while driving at high altitudes.
1. Chandigarh to Manali would take you at least 5-7 hours by car. NH21.
2. There might be a chance of Rain/Sleet near Manali.
3. Umpteen number of dhabas en route near Mandi.
4. Numerous state and local buses ply on that highway, and mind you me, they are very rough on the curves and blind zones, an outsider would easily get mauled by their sense of driving. Be Careful when tackling them.
5. Manali - Rohtang road AFAIK is in bad (not worse) shape, there were speculations about snow last week.
6. Please carry cash for non-ATM survival times.
bikxsans660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think your timings are very aggressive unless you are a regular long-distance driver and are prepared for very early morning departures (say, 4 am).

Bombay to Udaipur is going to be tough in view of the massive choke-ups on NH8 due to road widening work till Surat. The Narmada River jam between Ankleshwar and Bharuch (6 kms long, 1-2 hours) can be overcome only if you take the road through the 2 towns via the old "Golden Bridge".

Day 2 is also not easy because the Jaipur-DElhi sector is also a big mess currently.

I would suggest you go via Delhi only and not take any short-cuts via Rewari to Panipat. Better to stick to the 4-laned well-marked highways of NH8 and NH1.

NH1 is also a mess due to widening beyond Panipat and you are likley to get slowed down.

Please avoid Chandigarh and bypass by taking the Ambala-Banur-Kharar route. You can stay at HPTDC at either Swarghat or Bilaspur.

Rohtang Pass is always a mess, people leave as early as 5 am from their hotels in Manali to get there but still on coming back you can get stuck in traffic jams. Overall, an unpleasant situation to be in Manali in peak holiday season.

You can refer the attached file which has the detailed route plan for Bombay-Manali. Please note specially the way to get around Ahmedabad and bypassing Chandigarh
Attached Files
File Type: xls RaviNorthDrive.xls (54.5 KB, 771 views)
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:16   #5
BHPian

[quote=inteldriver;
[/QUOTE]

Been to Manali on 27 Apr in my Fabia. Rohtang pass was closed. You could only drive up to Gulaba (snow point) about 12 km from Manali.

Road conditions:
NH1: Lot of diversions in Panipat - Ambala stretch due to road widening. Ambala to Chandigarh is good. Delhi - Chandigarh can be done under 4 hrs.
NH21: Chandigarh to Bilaspur is patchy. Bilaspur to Kullu is excellent and stretch from Mandi to Bhuntar breathtaking with Beas river in company.
Kullu to Manali road is virtually being reconstructed. You could route through Naggar from Bhuntar - slightly longer but better road with thin traffic.
Manali to Solang is poor condition - but Solang to Gulaba is excellent. However, too many vehicles at snow point (Gulaba) leading to traffic jams.
Wish you a safe and memorable journey
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 15:36   #6
BHPian

Chandigarh to Manali would take 8 hrs

Last edited by rajcs : 16th May 2011 at 15:45.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 15:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mumbai -> Manali Driving Route

I think those coming from Mumbai to HP should take a look at the alternate route trough NH15.
I drove on this highway near Gujrat, as well as near Bikaner, and its a delight.
Jaipur-Delhi and Delhi-chd sections are nightmares due to road construction and 6 laning.
Through rajasthan, the roads will be empty, and the roads in south Punjab are also totally devoid of traffic and have good surface.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote