Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th May 2011, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Default Weekend trips from Paris- Help required

I would be in Paris for close to three months starting Mid June on an official trip.
Plan to see as much of France/ Europe as I can on weekends. Have seen most of Paris the last time I was there. So would like to move out from Paris to other places in France/ Europe.
Need to be back in office on Mondays and would be able to travel strictly on weekends.
Could you all please suggest some places to visit and where all I can stay on a budget? I'm looking for scenic places and not much interested in Museums etc.
Also would a Eurail Global pass help? I've also noticed that there are a number of websites who sell the Eurail passes. Which one would you suggest and are there any benefits in going with a particular vendor?
Would really approeciate your help on my trip planning.
Thanks in advance..
cooljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Weekend trips from Paris- Help required

Nice/Monaco over a weeked. Take an overnight train to NICE and explore the places over weekend. You will need one more weekend, if you want Antibes/Cannes.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
I would be in Paris for close to three months starting Mid June on an official trip.
Plan to see as much of France/ Europe as I can on weekends. Have seen most of Paris the last time I was there. So would like to move out from Paris to other places in France/ Europe.
Need to be back in office on Mondays and would be able to travel strictly on weekends.
1. Germany: Black Forest: take the TGV to Strasbourg and take a local train from there into the Black Forest (Offenburg/ Appenweier); change there and take another DB to Baden Baden (worth staying here) and visit Triberg/ Neuweier etc
Another (more expensive) option from Strasbourg to Baden Baden is via Karlsruhe
Alternatively you can go upto Koln/ Cologne & travel down the river to the Black Forest
2. Germany: Munich/ Fuessen (Neuschwanstein castle)/ Garmisch Partenkirchen (Zugspitze - highest peak in Germany). There is an overnight train between Paris & Munich, you can leave Paris on Friday night and Munich on Sunday night, saving two hotel nights
3. Belgium - If you want to go see F1, Spa is the best; it is in August and I would definitely recommend it. A rental car would be perfect for you; else you will have to depend on coaches from Brussels
4. The Netherlands - Amsterdam & Keukenhof tulip gardens - TGV from Paris to Amsterdam and then by bus
5. Switzerland - by TGV via Basel or Geneva to Interlaken and then into the mountains by train/ cable car (Jungfrau/ Schilthorn etc). There is a fascinating train ride from Interlaken to Luzern (where you can go to Pilatus/ Titlis etc.) and then return to Paris via Zurich
6. Mont Blanc/ Chamonix - to Geneva by TGV; I dont remember if there is a TGV to Chamonix. Mont Blanc is the highest peak in France
7. Overnight trains are also available from Paris to Madrid, Berlin & (I think) Rome
8. If you book in advance you will get lots of cheap flights to other places like Budapest, Prague, Dublin etc.
9. Eurostar to London (if you have a valid UK visa)
10. The Riviera - Nice/ Monaco (Monte Carlo)/ Antibes/ Cannes. See if you can go during the F1; very expensive during summer in these areas though. You will need to book in advance
11. Monza: in September if you are still around and interested in F1
12. Loire valley: if you are interested in castles; but you will ideally need a car to drive around
13: Normandy beaches: also might need a rental car

Here are some details about Paris if you are visiting for the first time:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...itzerland.html (Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland)

I think I need to put update my travelogue with the Germany/ Swiss sections (long overdue); these could be useful to you.
Europe is magnificient in spring/ summer; you are going during peak travel season though and might need to book train tickets in advance to save some money.
Please ensure you always travel with your passport/ valid visa as you can be 'controlled' by the cops anywhere to verify that you are there legally.
In Paris beware of pickpockets and scamsters
Feel free to PM me in case you need any details about lodging/ local travel/ food/ weather etc
Have fun!

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th May 2011 at 11:58.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Wow.. Thats a huge list! Thanks Ampere and selfdrive.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Outside, France there are many options. But since you asked around Paris (more like weekends) I mentioned about the French Riviera. Its one of the most beautiful places.

Never miss it. Esp if you can take a day off and do a day time train from Paris to NICE.
Else you get night train from Paris to NICE which would take about 6 hours (I think).
Use SNCF. (The French National Railway)
(SNCF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Flights are always there, but train highly recommended at least one way.

In fact even NICE to Monaco/Cannes is beautiful half an hour train journey.

EDIT: Note Monaco and Cannes are on either side of NICE. You can only do one city at a time. Monaco is North and Cannes south of NICE.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2011 at 12:36.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 14:31   #6
BHPian

From what I've heard so far, I would prefer Monaco
Old 29th May 2013, 19:18   #7
BHPian

Me and my wife have the same situation. Going there for 3 months and going crazy to plan weekend trips.

Planing to rent the car, is it a good idea since I have not driven on the wrong side of the road?
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 19:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Me and my wife have the same situation. Going there for 3 months and going crazy to plan weekend trips.

Planing to rent the car, is it a good idea since I have not driven on the wrong side of the road?
It shouldn't be too hard, you'll get used to it quickly!
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 23:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of ideas:

Get yourself on the Eurostar and blast through the tunnel into the UK and do a nice London visit.

You're also not to far from the Champagne area. Get yourself a car and drive out there. It's very pretty, beautifull country side.

As stated by others, the Eiffel in Belgium/Germany is very pretty and only about 2-3 hours away from Paris.

Many years ago I also drove down the coast of Normandia. It's an interesting coastal area and there is still a lot of evidence of the immense Allied invasion that took place during world war 2.

Here's something very cool, couple of hours driving from Paris:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strépy-Thieu_boat_lift

The largest boat lift in the world! It's set in a very nice part of the country.

Enjoy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
In terms of destinations and distances, a car rental can be useful depending on your capability and willingness for long drives. But then it also means you arrive tired and will need time to perk up for local sightseeing.
Another option is to take the train to wherever and rent a car there if required. It will ensure that you dont go crazy trying to leave/ enter Paris by car. This is quite a nightmare on Fridays, late Sundays and early mondays. This would work well for destinations which are more than a few hours drive away from Paris, such as the Riviera or neighbouring countries.
Loire valley/ normandy are quite doable directly by car. In fact the inner roads are more interesting than some of the highways, though noticeably slower. Of course, this is if you are interested in seeing quaint villages and enjoying your journey.
I did not rent a car because we had other people including our 3 year old son with us and wanted the comfort level of arriving at our destination relatively fresh. Also, this may sound blasphemous here on this forum, but I prefer train journey to road journey anytime.
Any specific questions, PM me or ask here. If you are already here, I am in Germany for the next couple of weeks.
Have fun!

Edit: Try to compare your car rental with your train journeys in terms of cost, quality and time. You can always have 2 of the 3 but rarely all 3. It then depends on you which of the 3 you are willing and happy to compromise with. Please also note:
- trains take you from city center to city center without traffic
- you get good offers when you plan in advance and buy a discount card
- there are combo offers to take a train and rent a car
- you dont need a car everyday, especially on the days that you take a town/ city tour
- if its only 2 of you, train may be cheaper than car for long distances. sometimes first class tickets are cheaper than second class, do check before booking!

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th May 2013 at 10:51.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote