Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th June 2015, 10:39   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
Guys, I plan to travel to Wayanad in a two weeks. Since the road goes through forests, I was wondering if any precautions are required to handle incidents related to wildlife. For instance, how do you handle wild elephants on the road, what if they charge? I was searching for some forest dept. advisory related to this but couldn't find anything worthy. Any thoughts?
Been driving the Bandipur forest route several times a year for the last 10 years. In my very first trip, encountered a single elephant in the middle of the road. Since it was a straight stretch, I was able to stop few 100 meters behind and sat quietly. A bunch of morons in a Scorpio that was behind me overtook and went very close to the elephant and tried to take photos etc.. Luckily for them and for me the elephant did not get agitated and moved off into the forest.

Since then I have rarely seen anything. At most a few deers.

In general keep as far back as possible, do not make any sudden sounds/movements, avoid taking photos (especially with flash).

If you are headed towards the Manathavady/Kalpetta/Vythiri area, it makes sense to take Bangalore-Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam-Manthavady-Kalpetta. Great roads and minimal traffic.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 11:43   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Where are you planning your stay in Wayanad district ?
I am staying at Banasura Hill resort. This is in Vellamunda, close to Manathavady.
carpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 12:57   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If you are headed towards the Manathavady/Kalpetta/Vythiri area, it makes sense to take Bangalore-Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam-Manthavady-Kalpetta. Great roads and minimal traffic.
I took the above route while driving back to Bangalore. Peaceful drive with minimal traffic and good roads through out. The kattikulam/nagerhole stretch is more scenic than the Bandipur one. Only drawback is that there would be no good places for pit stops. So do all your preparations before leaving Kalpetta/Mananthavady.
PADAS is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 13:37   #154
BHPian

Great, I have a sedan so looking for a route which is scenic and has good roads
Old 5th June 2015, 13:51   #155

Quote:
Great, I have a sedan so looking for a route which is scenic and has good roads
The above route is pretty scenic. You will spot a lot of deer for sure in Nagarhole. If lucky a few wild boars and some wild buffalos. Carry a camera!
One drawback is that road inside the park isn't the best. I would classify it as gravel plus roughly tarred?

You can try the Gundlepet - Talakkad - T Narsipura - Kanakpura road on your way back.

Anyway Wayanad will not disappoint you with the scenery.

I would like to let you know that no matter what route you take, you will have a small stretch of bad roads. Do not worry just enjoy the scenery!

Happy driving!
Saint_Krish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 14:03   #156
BHPian

Thanks, Google maps shows a route that cuts through Nagarhole, Blr - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - kutta/ Tholpetty - Kattikulam - Mananthavady. Any idea how this is?
Old 5th June 2015, 14:40   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Google maps shows a route that cuts through Nagarhole, Blr - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - kutta/ Tholpetty - Kattikulam - Mananthavady. Any idea how this is?
This is also a good route. I think it is a little patchy/bad within the forest. Rest of it is in great condition. The other route mentioned ( Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam) is better (SH 33 in Google Maps). This one also passes through Nagerhole, but almost through the edge of the forest.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:51   #158
BHPian

So, I traveled to Wayand last weekend.

Onwards I took Blr - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - kutta/ Tholpetty - Kattikulam - Mananthavady route. Encountered a Tusker, then some deer, wild boar etc. inside Rajiv Gandhi national park (nagerhole road). Road inside the park was a bit patchy but not bad though. Kattikulam - Mananthavady road was broken in some places due to the heavy rain. Overall route was good.

Return, I took Manthavady-Kattikulam-Bavalli-Handpost-Mysore-Bangalore route. As mentioned earlier, Kattikulam - Mananthavady road was broken in some places but the rest was great roads. Especially the roads from Mananthavady to Mysore ring road was superb with minimal traffic, with lots of greenery.
Old 21st July 2015, 20:20   #159
BHPian

Guys,

Coming weekend traveling to Wayanad. Stay booked @ The Woods Resorts,sulthan bathery. How is the Nanjangud - Gundlupet stretch now? Is the road work completed?
Some of the posts are suggesting below route,

Bangalore>Kanakpura>Malavalli>Talakad>Chamarajanag ara>Gundlupet>sulthan Bathery

How is the road condition on this stretch?
Also suggest me any alternate route to reach sulthan bathery. Main requirements are good roads & scenic route.
sbalagru6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 21:20   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Guys,

Coming weekend traveling to Wayanad. Stay booked @ The Woods Resorts,sulthan bathery. How is the Nanjangud - Gundlupet stretch now? Is the road work completed?
Some of the posts are suggesting below route,

Bangalore>Kanakpura>Malavalli>Talakad>Chamarajanag ara>Gundlupet>sulthan Bathery

How is the road condition on this stretch?
Also suggest me any alternate route to reach sulthan bathery. Main requirements are good roads & scenic route.
The bridge between Malavalli and Kollegala is reopened now. So you do not need to take the deviation via Talakkad. Roads are great on this route except Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet which may be a little patchy in some sections. From scenic and good roads, this will be the ideal choice.

Road work between Nangangud and Gundlepet is still not completed. As per reports in the other related threads, work has progressed well but is not complete. Overall should not be too much of a concern if you pass the area early enough. You also get better/more options for breaks in this route.

I see that the resort specified is on the Bathery-Pulpally route. If so, then the below route can also be an option

Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam-Pulpally-Woods Resort. There are 2-3 options to get from Kattikulam-Pulpally but unfortunately not sure of the road conditions between Kattikulam and Pulpally. Rest of the stretch is great.
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:24   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam-Pulpally-Woods Resort. There are 2-3 options to get from Kattikulam-Pulpally but unfortunately not sure of the road conditions between Kattikulam and Pulpally. Rest of the stretch is great.
Thanks for the info and your suggestion
But I want to completely avoid going via Mysore. Reason being, Saturday morning heavy rush in that section as well as infinite number of speed breakers
sbalagru6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:08   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Thanks for the info and your suggestion
But I want to completely avoid going via Mysore. Reason being, Saturday morning heavy rush in that section as well as infinite number of speed breakers
Well, then it is straight forward: Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegala-Ch Nagar-Gundlepet-Bathery.

There is roadwork also happening on the Gundlepet -Bandipur entrance stretch. But it should not be too much of a problem.

Side Note: Mysore Road has lost most of its speed breakers. Replaced with collapsible barricades. But still not advisable on a Saturday Morning (unless you leave before 5am)
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:44   #163
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a trip to wayanad in the last week of September (hopefully rains would not be an issue during that time ?? )

Need your inputs for planning the trip -

I will be driving from Hyderabad but I will take a night's halt at Bangalore.

From Bangalore, there seem to be various options regarding the route -

route 1- Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegala-Ch Nagar-Gundlepet-Bathery.
route 2- Blr - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - kutta/ Tholpetty - Kattikulam - Mananthavady
route 3 - Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjanagud>Gundalpet>Sulthan bathery
route 4 - Bangalore- Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady

As I understand, the preferred route options are 1 and 4.
I might halt at Mysore too to checkout the palace and few other attractions. In that case, is route 4 the best option?

As far as accommodation is concerned, I have shortlisted a few resorts -
Chateau woods - http://cwoods.in/
Sharoy resort - http://www.sharoyresort.com/
Vythri resort - http://www.vythiriresort.com/wayanad.html

Let me know which one I can go for any recommendations other than the above ones are welcome.
I am looking for a nice resort with great views and a little far away from the towns. Budget - 5-7K per night.

Also, please help me plan what all should I cover in Wayanad?
I have heard/read about - Chembra Peak, banasura dam, eddkakal caves,Soochipara falls, Meenmutty falls, Pookot lake, Kuruvadweep etc.

I planning for 2 nights or 3 nights in Wayanad - what do you suggest?

And finally, any good eateries in wayanad I should try? I am a hardcore non-vegeterain
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:16   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
hopefully rains would not be an issue during that time ??
Rain wise your travel time will not be an issue.

Regarding the route you planning.

If you planning of visiting Mysore, it will be best to follow Bangalore - Mysore highway with an early morning start.

Route ahead of Mysore will depend on the resort you finalizing, unless you are booking in Sharoy it will be better you take the Gundlupet - Batherry route.

Out of the places you mentioned, it is tough to exclude any. However, covering all these in two days will leave you with no much free time to relax. So if you are someone who likes to rest and roam during vacation, you may have to consider the same.

My suggestion would be to skip Banasaura dam in case you are short of time.

Regarding stay, though not a resort. You can check out this place too. (Operation Tiger: Wayanad)

I have not been to the place yet, however saw quiet few good reviews online.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:00   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Also, please help me plan what all should I cover in Wayanad?
I have heard/read about - Chembra Peak, banasura dam, eddkakal caves,Soochipara falls, Meenmutty falls, Pookot lake, Kuruvadweep etc.

I planning for 2 nights or 3 nights in Wayanad - what do you suggest?

And finally, any good eateries in wayanad I should try? I am a hardcore non-vegeterain
When i went to Wayanad, the plan was as follows

Day 1 afternoon: Reached hotel in Wayanad and took rest for the rest of the day
Day 2: Kuruvadweep, Banasura sagar dam, Pookote Lake, Lakkidi view point and Kozhikode beach. The last one was an unplanned visit.
Day 3: Eddakal caves and Soochipara falls.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote