Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th August 2015, 19:31   #181

Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Looks good. Only one comment. On the return, the route is showing hunsur-krs-srirangapatna. I have heard that this road is not to great and it is better to come via Mysore ring road . Other experts can confirm.
Oh okay.
So this route here would be better? Seems to add an extra 30 mints
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...TY&usp=sharing
arunjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 20:25   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjoe View Post
Oh okay.
So this route here would be better? Seems to add an extra 30 mints
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...TY&usp=sharing

No. This one. Link

BAsically same as you mentioned, but come towards Mysore, get on the Mysore Ring Road and then get on to the BAngalore Mysore Highway.

But as mentioned earlier, if the road conditions are good, your initial route will be good enough.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 21:08   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjoe View Post
Your return trip seems to be Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Kutta-Nagarhole-HD Kote-Handpost-Mysore. That is circuitous (and the roads inside Nagarhole aren't in great shape); you should go straight from Kattikulam and take Kattikulam-Bavali-Handpost-Mysore which is shorter.

Unless you have plans to visit Nagarhole as a destination.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 15:50   #184

Update:
Took Nice road and NH 209 for onward journey and the roads were good for most part of the journey except for some patch works. Left by 6 and reached Bathery by 10:30 and the resort in Vythiry by 12:30 in time for lunch
Stayed at Tea Terrace resort and would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking. It's on the vythiry-banasur dam road with a slight detour. There are only 9 cottages, a restaurant, recreation room and office located in a small tea estate. You can find the TA review here. The last 900 mt stretch to the resort is part soled, part concreted and part asphalt laden. Suggest anybody visiting to first go up by the resort vehicle and take a call accordingly.

Didn't try to visit too many places except for an early morning drive to Lakkidi and a visit to Banasur dam in the morning. For the return journey decided to take the Tholpetty Nagarhole route for the drive inside the jungle. As expected the roads were not great inside Nagarhole, but not badly pillaged either (hell, better than many Bangalore roads if you ask me). There were signs of elephants all along but we didn't chance upon any, except deers, a family of wild boar and birds. While driving to Bangalore from Hunsur, I accidentally took the left at Elivala instead of the one pointed at this thread earlier and that road was in shambles. Except for that, everything went as planned!
Thanks for the helpful suggestions again!

Arun
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-tea-terrace.jpg  

Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-cottage.jpg  

Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-thamarassery.jpg  

Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-banasur-catchment-area.jpg  

arunjoe is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 20:08   #185
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning a trip to Wayanad with friends, and their families on the 2nd Oct extended weekend. Place where we are staying is Sultan Bathery. Route suggested is Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundalpet-Sultan Bathery.

After reading previous posts it seems as if this route is being widened and that might add to travel time. I need some help with queries below.

Best route to take from Bangalore. If it passes by a forest which i was told it does, that would be great.

Traffic and time taken to reach. Being an extended weekend, i guess traffic could be an issue.

Places for breaks, as there are kids with us and ladies ofcourse, so information on places with good restrooms will help.

Fueling station availability on the way.

Drivers with us, atleast some are not experienced with driving around ghat sections so how many ghats would we encounter?

And yes, must visit places to be covered in a day and a half. If this is off topic, apologies.

I hope I have mentioned all the points here. Any additional information is most welcome.

Regards,
Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 23:24   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning a trip to Wayanad with friends, and their families on the 2nd Oct extended weekend. Place where we are staying is Sultan Bathery. Route suggested is Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundalpet-Sultan Bathery.

After reading previous posts it seems as if this route is being widened and that might add to travel time. I need some help with queries below.

Best route to take from Bangalore. If it passes by a forest which i was told it does, that would be great.

Traffic and time taken to reach. Being an extended weekend, i guess traffic could be an issue.

Places for breaks, as there are kids with us and ladies ofcourse, so information on places with good restrooms will help.

Fueling station availability on the way.

Drivers with us, atleast some are not experienced with driving around ghat sections so how many ghats would we encounter?

And yes, must visit places to be covered in a day and a half. If this is off topic, apologies.

I hope I have mentioned all the points here. Any additional information is most welcome.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Since destination is Sultan Bathery, would recommend sticking to the route you mentioned. There is road widening happening between Mysore and Gundlepet, but there has been a lot of progress and should not be a major concern.

Traffic between Bangalore and Mysore will be a major problem since it is a long weekend (There is an entire thread dedicated to this). Would recommend starting from Bangalore by 5 am. If you delay past 6 am, Bangalore-Mysore will be a nightmare. If you start by 5am, depending on where you are starting from in Bangalore, you will be in Mysore by 8 am. From Mysore, Bathery is around 2-2.5 hours of driving time. You will pass through the Bandipur Forest. If you are lucky you will see some deer and elephants.

Bangalore Mysore is one long food court, plenty of places to stop. But if you start at 5, most of these may not be open. You will need to stop in Mysore City itself. I generally stop at The Atrium Boutique Hotel (Location Link ). This just before you reach the Mysore Ring Road.

If you cannot start so early, I would recommend this route: Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegala-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet-Bathery. Nice scenic roads (but 2 lane) and not much traffic. On the downside, the only half decent family friendly place is Nijaguna Residency (Location Link) at Chamrajnagar. (Around 3-3.5 driving time from Bangalore).

You also have a Coffee Day at Gundlepet which is ok for rest rooms.

On the return, if you are starting from Bathery by evening, once again Gundlepet-Mysore-Bangalore will be a huge traffic mess.So I would recommend the route mentioned above.

Of course, you can use Mysore Route both ways irrespective of your timings and just take the traffic as it comes if that is more comfortable for the group.

Once you enter Kerala and Wayanad, roads are twisty and relatively narrow. But there is no hair pin kind of ghat to climb up.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th September 2015 at 23:27.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:10   #187
BHPian

Just completed a round trip of Bangalore-->Kalpetta-->Bangalore.

For onwards jouney, took the Blore-->Kanakpura-->Chamrajanagar-->Gundlupete-->Muthanga-->Sultan Bathery-->Kalpetta route. We left around 05:30 a.m., thereby the traffic was negligible. We had a food halt at Gundlupete. Please avoid Nijaguna Residency at Gundlupete. Road work on Gundlupete-->Muthunga route is nearly complete with excellent roads (probably the best tarmac I have seen in recent times). As already mentioned by many others, please maintain/respect the speed limits in the forest area (there are ample speed breakers to anyway force the speed limits).

While returning, we took the Kalpetta-->Sultan Bathery-->Muthunga-->Gundlupete-->Nanjanagudu-->Mysore (bypass)-->Mandya-->Blore route. Surprisingly, the traffic on Mysore-->Blore route was very less. Road Widening work is in full swing between Gundlupete-->Nanjanagudu. Be careful on this stretch, specially at the points where barricades have been placed. Road between Nanjanagudu-->Mysore bypass is not in great shape. There are police interceptors on the Mysore bypass road.

My driving time was the same for both the routes. Mysore route might work out better for people who need frequent stops (specially folks travelling with kids). And yes, please ensure that you have all the necessary car related documentation with you (specially the PUC certificate).
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 13:23   #188
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful updates Rajeevraj and TSEA. Iam assuming fueling stations are not an issue on either route.

With kids around i doubt starting at 5AM on the 2nd. Might take longer. So second route to avoid Mysore might make sense, but then less number of places to stop does sound problematic.

Places to visit, any recommendations ?

Regards,
Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 16:05   #189
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you're staying at Sulthan Bathery which is one end of Wayanad and Vythiri on the other end along the same NH 212 highway there are quite a few places you can see with some amount of driving on and around this road. Some places to visit are:
Edakkal caves
Soochipara, Meenmutty falls (may not have very good access though)
Chembra peak
Banasura dam
Lakkidi view point
Pookot lake
Kuruvadeep island
Maybe even the Thirunelli temple but this will be closer to the Mananthavady road.
On an earlier trip we took the Sulthan Bathery route onward and the Mananthavady route for return covering quite a few of these places. Based on time available and interest levels you can choose some places. Am sure there are other places too, and other members can add them.

Last edited by NPV : 20th September 2015 at 16:10.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 17:03   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful updates Rajeevraj and TSEA. Iam assuming fueling stations are not an issue on either route.

With kids around i doubt starting at 5AM on the 2nd. Might take longer. So second route to avoid Mysore might make sense, but then less number of places to stop does sound problematic.

Regards,
Devyaani.
There are ample fueling stations on both the routes.

With kids, do factor in the walk time/effort while planning the must see places. Chembra Peak requires trekking, Soochipara Waterfalls also involves a good long walk.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 21:14   #191
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is the bridge over kaveri before Kollegal open on NH209, or we still need to take a detour bypassing Kollegal ?
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 23:06   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Guys, is the bridge over kaveri before Kollegal open on NH209, or we still need to take a detour bypassing Kollegal ?
Yes it's open. Been open for 2-3 months now.
Old 25th September 2015, 23:13   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes it's open. Been open for 2-3 months now.
Thanks. How is the road condition from Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet ? Is advisable to take this route in the morning (7AM or so) compared to SH17 regualar BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet route ?
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 23:19   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Thanks. How is the road condition from Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet ? Is advisable to take this route in the morning (7AM or so) compared to SH17 regualar BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet route ?
Conditions are mostly good. Most part has been relaid. Some rough patches here and there. But nothing of concern.

No issues taking it at 7am in the morning.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:33   #195
BANNED

Hi Guys

I'm planning to visit Wayanad with my family on 24th October but looks like most of the good stay options are full and the one which is available is charging approx. 42K for 2 nights stay which is beyond my budget.

Request to suggest some other option. How is the Tea Terrace Resort mentioned in first post ? Any Review ?
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote