Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th October 2015, 02:15   #196

Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Hi Guys

I'm planning to visit Wayanad with my family on 24th October but looks like most of the good stay options are full and the one which is available is charging approx. 42K for 2 nights stay which is beyond my budget.

Request to suggest some other option. How is the Tea Terrace Resort mentioned in first post ? Any Review ?
Tea Terrace seems like a great option since they offer all meals inclusive plan. In fact I have booked it for the last week of October based on the various Trip advisor and Goibibo ratings.
dhirenanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 07:14   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirenanand View Post
Tea Terrace seems like a great option since they offer all meals inclusive plan. In fact I have booked it for the last week of October based on the various Trip advisor and Goibibo ratings.
At what price you have booked for what dates ?
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 15:46   #198

Booked it from 31st oct to 2nd November. Got it for 5k per day with current Goibibo discount.
dhirenanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 16:19   #199
BHPian

Folks,

Does the route to Kalpetta (from Bangalore) and route to the surrounding tourist places, have any steep hill climbs ?
I am thinking of climbs that in gradient terms are close (if not worse) to the climb up to Ooty via Masinagudi or say the climb from Boys Town to Manthavady ? Those 2 climbs literally kill my car (and almost got passengers killed), so being cautious, as it is going to be a fully loaded ride.

thanks,
BD

Last edited by bdutta : 9th October 2015 at 16:23.
bdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 17:05   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Folks,

Does the route to Kalpetta (from Bangalore) and route to the surrounding tourist places, have any steep hill climbs ?
I am thinking of climbs that in gradient terms are close (if not worse) to the climb up to Ooty via Masinagudi or say the climb from Boys Town to Manthavady ? Those 2 climbs literally kill my car (and almost got passengers killed), so being cautious, as it is going to be a fully loaded ride.

thanks,
BD
Not at all. From Bangalore to Wayanad, there are no hair pin bend climbs. Guess it is got to do with the fact that Bangalore and its surroundings are already at an elevation. and Wayanad it also not at too high an elevation The Masinagudi-Ooty climb is a different beast altogether.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 17:16   #201
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Kalpetta there are no ghats/steep hill climbs.
After Vythiri the Thamarassery ghat starts but it will be downwards going to Calicut, so uphill if coming back from Calicut on this route but nothing to worry, quite wide and gradual and not steep.

There's definitely nothing in the south of India as steep as the Masinagudi-Ooty ghat road, so no worries

Last edited by NPV : 9th October 2015 at 17:17.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 17:27   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
There's definitely nothing in the south of India as steep as the Masinagudi-Ooty ghat road, so no worries
Thank you, NVP sir. However on that comment, I'm afraid I used to believe so too, until I faced the Boys Town to Manthavady Hill Hwy. It felt steeper, but overall the real tough-climb may be somewhat shorter than Masinagudi-Ooty climb.
Old 9th October 2015, 18:36   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

thanks,
BD
In case you wish to go to Calicut (about 75 kms from Wayanad), you will have to negotiate 9 hair pin bends of the Thamarassery ghat. But this can be done very easily as it is not that steep.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 16:42   #204
BHPian

As for the route to Kalpetta, I might stick to Mysore road for onward journey, since I plan to start from Bangalore by 5:00AM, and thus, hopefully manage to cover the busiest part by 8:00/8:30AM. This route clearly affords the best bet regarding pitstops (food and clean bathrooms), which is a bigger need with early morning starts! Anything to advise otherwise ?

For the return route, I was thinking to return via Gundlupete, Kollegal, Kanakapura, i.e. NH209, although my past experiences on this route aren't that great. I think, this route may be preferred as I may start from Kalpetta only post lunch (around 1:30PM), and hope to reach Bangalore by 7:30-8:00PM. Two questions about this route though --

1. Google-maps is showing "construction work", that starts some 15km before and upto 3-4kms before before Gundlupete (while heading back towards B'lore). How bad is this ?

2. What are the possible pit-stops via NH209/Kanakapura Road,
- For decent food
- For clean bathrooms/toilets
(especially given return on a Sunday, afternoon).
Old 12th October 2015, 18:22   #205
BHPian

Reading some older threads (latest was from 2012, so I'm hoping that there've been some additions), here's what I found as the options --
- Gokul, Kanakapura (on Hwy on left while going towards B'lore), but people report it to be found closed more often than open
- Hotel Annapoorna, Kollegala
- Nijaguna Residency, Chamrajanagar (good rest rooms, though might seem somewhat pricey for quality of food)
- Hotel Mayura, Chamrajanagar (next to Bus stand), not much hopes of finding clean rest-rooms
- CCD, Gundlupet (attached to Petrol bunk)
Old 12th October 2015, 18:56   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Google-maps is showing "construction work", that starts some 15km before and upto 3-4kms before before Gundlupete (while heading back towards B'lore). How bad is this ?

- For decent food
The construction work is road widening between Mysore and Gundlepet. As per reports it is mostly done. So expect some diversions, but should no longer be a concern.

On the kanakpura route, the only real family friendly option is nijaguna, chamrajnagar. Gundlepet coffee day is decent and there are a couple of options opposite it ( including a new nijaguna). But maybe to early for a stop. Nijaguna chamrajnagar is your best bet.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 15:58   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, NVP sir. However on that comment, I'm afraid I used to believe so too, until I faced the Boys Town to Manthavady Hill Hwy. It felt steeper, but overall the real tough-climb may be somewhat shorter than Masinagudi-Ooty climb.
I think you must be referring to the Palchuram ghats between BoysTown and Kottiyoor / Iritti. The Boystown-Mananthavady stretch doesn't really have any real ghats section.

Quote:
For the return route, I was thinking to return via Gundlupete, Kollegal, Kanakapura, i.e. NH209...

- For decent food
Nijaguna Chamarajnagar is a possible option, but may be too early for you - you would probably pass it by about 4PM or so.

You could also perhaps try the Karnataka Tourism's Mayura restaurant near the Shivasamudram falls. This comes about 3 kms after you cross the Cauvery bridge - it's a deviation to the right and there's a signboard there with the name of the restaurant. I think you need to go a couple of kms from the NH to reach the restaurant - it's right next to the Gaganachukki (Or is it Barachukki ? not sure) viewpoint.

Hotel Gokul in Kanakapura should be open in the evenings, but not sure how neat their toilets are. There's another new restaurant on the left hand side about 1 or 2 kms after Kanakapura (just after the bridge) which looked neat from the outside - forgot its name. Then there is Hotel Kitchen about 8 kms after Kanakapura (toward Bangalore) which is quite decent as well.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 15:34   #208
BHPian

Howz the Bangalore-Wayanad route nowadays? Planning to drive next week
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 08:55   #209
BHPian

B'lore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Battery - Kalpetta route is quite decent barring Mysore to Nanjangud which is not too bad either.

Right now in Kalpetta and would be starting back for B'lore in 2 hrs or so, and might try the route via Kanakapura. Hopefully, it's be good too.

For local excursion, the Kalpetta to Soochipara falls route wasn't great. If you follow Google maps recommendation, you might get to take the better of the 2 routes. On return, I took recommendation of some local folks. This route was shorter, less scenic and 5-6 kms were plain horrible.
Old 18th October 2015, 22:01   #210
BHPian

Quote:
B'lore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Battery - Kalpetta route is quite decent barring Mysore to Nanjangud which is not too bad either.

Right now in Kalpetta and would be starting back for B'lore in 2 hrs or so, and might try the route via Kanakapura. Hopefully, it's be good too.

For local excursion, the Kalpetta to Soochipara falls route wasn't great. If you follow Google maps recommendation, you might get to take the better of the 2 routes. On return, I took recommendation of some local folks. This route was shorter, less scenic and 5-6 kms were plain horrible.
Returned via the Gundlupet - Chamrajnagar - Kollegal - Kanakapura route. It was the first time I did this route, and I'm glad I did. Road surface is of reasonably decent quality (let's say 90% of the way) road, but mostly 2 wide lanes, and 100% without median. Where it passes through villages, the 2 wide lanes either become 2 narrow lanes, and at places almost single lane. It is reasonably scenic (unlike Mysore road, which is drab, and with those weird collapsible barricades that now replaced the horrible speed-breakers. However, it is very hard to do 100kmph+ on this road. On my Logan, I didn't feel comfortable pushing it beyond, and in fact, 80-90kmph felt safer.

Decent pit stops are almost nil. We had lunch at Mayura Veg Restaurant, at Chamrajnagar. It is a regular darshini, and much more filthier than most 'Sagars' in Bangalore. Food isn't too bad. Restroom however was, best left undescribed. Nijaguna, apparently requires taking a detour, since I never saw it. There are some diversions compared to route that Google-maps shows, but those are pretty obvious one, to workaround recent (or temporary) one-ways.

Starting at 5:30AM from home (near HSR Layout) on Friday, I had reached our Wayanad home-stay by 12:40PM. This was when we took NICE hwy, Mysore Road, and had a total of about 60 mins in stops. Today (sunday), I reached home at 5:40PM, having started from home-stay at around 11:00AM, after about 45min in stops. Not sure, if returning via Mysore Rd, would have take much more or much less time.

cheers,
BD
bdutta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote