Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 09:35   #211
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,695
Thanked: 4,466 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Decent pit stops are almost nil. We had lunch at Mayura Veg Restaurant, at Chamrajnagar. It is a regular darshini, and much more filthier than most 'Sagars' in Bangalore. Food isn't too bad. Restroom however was, best left undescribed. Nijaguna, apparently requires taking a detour, since I never saw it.
I think you're referring to the Mayura in front of the Chamarajanagar Bus Stand ?
From the Bus Stand, Nijanguna is hardly 1-2Km away. Go straight ahead of Bus stand and you get to a T junction with Signal. At this place, there is a right turn going towards Terakanambi/Gundlupet and left turn towards Dimbam, turn left here and immediately you can see an arch on the left, turn left here and you will see Nijaguna. Worth this very small detour as the food is decent and the restrooms are clean as well, ideal when traveling with family.

Last edited by NPV : 19th October 2015 at 09:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 09:59   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post

Decent pit stops are almost nil. We had lunch at Mayura Veg Restaurant, at Chamrajnagar. It is a regular darshini, and much more filthier than most 'Sagars' in Bangalore. Food isn't too bad. Restroom however was, best left undescribed. Nijaguna, apparently requires taking a detour, since I never saw it.
To locate Nijaguna Residency, go towards the Coimbatore road and then take a left turn. Proceed further till you see an arch which leads to the hotel.
The ambiance was very nice but the tiffin was average. My kid though enjoyed hie time over there courtesy the play area.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 10:07   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you're referring to the Mayura in front of the Chamarajanagar Bus Stand ?
Yes indeed (or at least, I think so!). The bus-stand exit gate is to the left of this restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From the Bus Stand, Nijanguna is hardly 1-2Km away. Go straight ahead of Bus stand and you get to a T junction with Signal. At this place, there is a right turn going towards Terakanambi/Gundlupet and left turn towards Dimbam, turn left here and immediately you can see an arch on the left, turn left here and you will see Nijaguna. Worth this very small detour as the food is decent and the restrooms are clean as well, ideal when traveling with family.
Noted, for future reference. I'd definitely prefer to stop there instead. Had I know about the location and exact detour, would have preferred taking it, since the pitstop was more for a restroom stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
To locate Nijaguna Residency, go towards the Coimbatore road and then take a left turn. Proceed further till you see an arch which leads to the hotel.
The ambiance was very nice but the tiffin was average. My kid though enjoyed hie time over there courtesy the play area.
Noted.. and good tip about it being kid friendly. My kids would certainly have enjoyed it. Marked for next trip down that road.

BTW, is this the same as Nijaguna Resort, that is supposed to be 40kms odd from Bandipur tiger reserve ? Seemed a lot far for that claim. Perhaps it is a different property.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th October 2015 at 10:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
bdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 15:40   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
BTW, is this the same as Nijaguna Resort, that is supposed to be 40kms odd from Bandipur tiger reserve ? Seemed a lot far for that claim. Perhaps it is a different property.
Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet is 33 km and Gundlupet-Bandipur is 18 km for a total of 51 km. Not 40, but not that off either.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:11   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Conditions are mostly good. Most part has been relaid. Some rough patches here and there. But nothing of concern.

No issues taking it at 7am in the morning.
We did both ways through the kanakpura route in end September. Road surface is largely very good. Even the chamarajnagar- gundlupet route is much improved from my previous trip a year or so back.

We could reach vythiri village resort in about 5.25 hours (excluding half hour breakfast break) starting at 6am from Orr near central.
Return was from 10:30am and saw a bit more traffic on NH209, took about 6 hours - about 15 mins lost at silk board.

Road in bandipur was butter smooth.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 22nd October 2015 at 11:21.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 12:13   #216
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 565 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

I will be traveling to a homestay near the following point tomorrow
https://goo.gl/maps/BWDKGnyM5nR2

This is meant to be a driving trip and driving pleasure (good roads, ghat sections, winding roads) is the top priority.

Can someone suggest the best route to get to this point next to Kabini river?
I don't mind spending extra travel time / distance to enjoy the amazing roads in this region.

Thanks!

EDIT: Does it also make sense to visit BR hills on the way to wayanad? How are the roads to that place and what route should I take in this case?

Last edited by d3mon : 10th November 2015 at 12:17.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 12:51   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,207 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
EDIT: Does it also make sense to visit BR hills on the way to wayanad? How are the roads to that place and what route should I take in this case?
BR hills is bit off your route to Wayanad. However, if you are planning take NH 209 till Yelandur and take left from there, there is signage in town where you need to take the deviation. Road from Yelandur till forest check post is bit patchy thanks to on going road work. Else nothing to worry about.

For Kabani, you can either take Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore ring road - Right turn and join Mananthavady road.

Or take the NH 209 - Mallavalli - Bannur - Mysore ring road - Manthavady road. Road condition is good till, you can get more details on Bangalore - Kabni thread.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:01   #218
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 565 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
BR hills is bit off your route to Wayanad. However, if you are planning take NH 209 till Yelandur and take left from there, there is signage in town where you need to take the deviation. Road from Yelandur till forest check post is bit patchy thanks to on going road work. Else nothing to worry about.

For Kabani, you can either take Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore ring road - Right turn and join Mananthavady road.

Or take the NH 209 - Mallavalli - Bannur - Mysore ring road - Manthavady road. Road condition is good till, you can get more details on Bangalore - Kabni thread.

Do you think taking the NH209 (via Yelandur) to Gundlupete to Kabini is better than the default route suggested by google (Bangalore - Mysuru - Hunsur - Nagarhole) ? Will it have lower rush in the morning?

Are there any timing restrictions while passing Nagarhole (Hunsur - Kutta) / Bandipur (Gundlupete to Sulthan Bathery via NH212)
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:22   #219
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,574
Thanked: 754 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Are there any timing restrictions while passing Nagarhole (Hunsur - Kutta) / Bandipur (Gundlupete to Sulthan Bathery via NH212)
Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta : restriction from 6 PM to 6 AM
Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery : restriction from 9 PM to 6 AM

Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Kutta : No restriction
Klub Class is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:31   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,207 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Are there any timing restrictions while passing Nagarhole (Hunsur - Kutta) / Bandipur (Gundlupete to Sulthan Bathery via NH212)
Taking Gundlupet - Sultan battery route is longer for going towards Kabni. You can plan this if you have idea of visiting other places enroute (Edakkal caves etc).

High traffic section in this route is Bangalore - Mysore, to avoid this on a regular weekend you have to cross Mysore road - NICE road intersection near Kengeri by ~ 05:00 AM or earlier. You can bye-pass this section if you are taking NH 209 and joining at Gundlupet.

Bandipur - Batthery section is closed from 09:00 PM - 06:00 AM.


The two other routes are Mysore - Bavali - Kattikulam (Closed between 06:00 PM to 06:00 AM) or Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Kattikulam (Open always).


In case you are traveling in couple of days, keep an eye for news related to unrest from Madikeri, which is coming in news now.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 10th November 2015 at 14:32.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:44   #221
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 565 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Taking Gundlupet - Sultan battery route is longer for going towards Kabni. You can plan this if you have idea of visiting other places enroute (Edakkal caves etc).

High traffic section in this route is Bangalore - Mysore, to avoid this on a regular weekend you have to cross Mysore road - NICE road intersection near Kengeri by ~ 05:00 AM or earlier. You can bye-pass this section if you are taking NH 209 and joining at Gundlupet.

Bandipur - Batthery section is closed from 09:00 PM - 06:00 AM.


The two other routes are Mysore - Bavali - Kattikulam (Closed between 06:00 PM to 06:00 AM) or Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Kattikulam (Open always).


In case you are traveling in couple of days, keep an eye for news related to unrest from Madikeri, which is coming in news now.

I was thinking of Sultan Bathery route only because in my past visit to Wayanad, I remember that this place had amazing, well paved, winding roads - I don't mind the extra time /distance spent if the roads here are much better than the Hunsur road and can help me avoid the Mysore road traffic.

So would NH209 - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery - Kabini be a scenic & fun to drive route, if I'm not worried about the extra distance?
Does NH209 not have the mad traffic on Mysore road after 6-7AM?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:56   #222
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,695
Thanked: 4,466 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
So would NH209 - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery - Kabini be a scenic & fun to drive route, if I'm not worried about the extra distance?
Does NH209 not have the mad traffic on Mysore road after 6-7AM?
You're better off taking Mysore Road or Kanakpura route starting early from Bangalore. No need to go to Sulthan Bathery. The important thing is to start by 5am, roads are good and the time will ensure you escape bad traffic.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:57   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,207 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
So would NH209 - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery - Kabini be a scenic & fun to drive route, if I'm not worried about the extra distance?
Does NH209 not have the mad traffic on Mysore road after 6-7AM?
Though a bit narrow compared to NH 212, Mysore - Kabni route is equally scenic. May be you can go via one route and come via other.

Regarding NH 209 - Sulthan Bathery - Kuruva Island route.

Bangalore - Kanakpura, you will find above average traffic past 06:00 AM, past Kanakpura traffic thins out. Budget ~ 3.30 mins from NICE road Kanakupra road exit till Gundlupet.
Do note that this road does not have much of eateries or toilets. You can check out Nijaguna at Chamarajnagar for breakfast. Food is just average, however they have a clean restroom.

Chamarajnagar - Gundlupet section is fine apart from some ~300 meters section.

Gundlupet - KL border has couple of deviations due to road work which is not an issue.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 15:04   #224
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,776 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I will be traveling to a homestay near the following point tomorrow
https://goo.gl/maps/BWDKGnyM5nR2

This is meant to be a driving trip and driving pleasure (good roads, ghat sections, winding roads) is the top priority.

Can someone suggest the best route to get to this point next to Kabini river?
I don't mind spending extra travel time / distance to enjoy the amazing roads in this region.

Thanks!

EDIT: Does it also make sense to visit BR hills on the way to wayanad? How are the roads to that place and what route should I take in this case?
Since your destination is in between Bavali and Kattikulam, would recommend the Mysore-Handpost-Bavali Route.

Route Link

Bangalore-Mysore should not be too crowded tomorrow. Mysore-Handpost-Bavali, the roads are good, traffic is minimal.

Don't think it is worth going via Gundlpet-Sultan Bathery or Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Sultan Bathery. Roads are good, but apart from the area close to Bathery, there are no winding roads or ghats. Bathery-Manathavady-Kattikulam has some rough patches also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 15:38   #225
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 565 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Thanks everyone for your guidance - I think I'll stick to the Mysore - Handpost - Bavali road. I guess there are no roads which are closed during the daytime so I don't need to worry about that.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovering Gujarat : Help required for route and accommodation. v&v Route / Travel Queries 19 9th October 2011 08:54
Bangalore - (Korome) Wayanad route query Jeep Route / Travel Queries 3 25th April 2011 13:09
Hyderabad - Coonoor - Ashtamudi: Route & Accommodation Queries MileCruncher Route / Travel Queries 2 5th January 2011 23:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks