Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd December 2015, 18:46   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Are RTO checkposts usually clearly marked ? Will they flag down yellow-board vehicles (that way I won't miss) ?
I had taken Zoom car to Kannur, Kerala and the RTO post was around 2-3kms after crossing the border. Best bet is to just ask around if you find any auto rick or taxi drivers. There will not be much rush at RTO, compared to the commercial sales tax post. The fee was Rs 150(valid for a week) and they issue a printed receipt. They don't flag down any cars, and it is purely 'voluntary' payment.

The yellow letters on black board is not common in Kerala and the cops don't know much about it. I was flagged down in Calicut for having a 'fancy' number plate. Had a tough time explaining to them.

Last edited by bejoy : 2nd December 2015 at 18:49.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:43   #242
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The yellow letters on black board is not common in Kerala and the cops don't know much about it. I was flagged down in Calicut for having a 'fancy' number plate. Had a tough time explaining to them.
Wow, time for some training then for these cops
From my experience driving on the Bangalore-Wayanad route, I found that once the traffic cops see an out of state car, they look for things like driver wearing seat belt, then check license, vehicle RC, insurance and finally the PUC. I keep wondering about the PUC, do traffic cops have the power to actually fine someone for not having a valid PUC ? For some reason I keep thinking only the RTO folks can check this.

*In any case I always make it a point to keep the car's PUC upto date at all times and is one of the things to verify on my checklist anytime I drive outside Bangalore.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:03   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I keep wondering about the PUC, do traffic cops have the power to actually fine someone for not having a valid PUC ? For some reason I keep thinking only the RTO folks can check this.

*In any case I always make it a point to keep the car's PUC upto date at all times and is one of the things to verify on my checklist anytime I drive outside Bangalore.
The PUC is the probably the easiest one to get some fund collection . Most folks will carry license, RC and insurance. PUC is something that is easily forgotten or ignored.

Couple of times I have been stopped, the inspector looked surprised that I had a valid PUC.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:36   #244
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Couple of times I have been stopped, the inspector looked surprised that I had a valid PUC.
Yes, agree! We were stopped once at Kalpetta and the cops were really shocked when I showed them a valid PUC. It was like they were overconfident we will have at least one document out of place and they can fine us but disappointed when they couldn't
So back to the PUC thing do they have the power to check and fine for it or only RTO personnel can do that ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:43   #245
BHPian

I might be travelling to Tirunelli this weekend. Its been a year since I have taken the Hunsur, Nagerhole road. Is it recommended to use HD Kottey road and turn from Kattikulam or go on the Hunsur Nagerhole route. I will be using Fortuner, but still want to make sure the entire forest stretch in Nagerhole is not in a horrible shape.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 00:51   #246
BHPian

Quote:
...The fee was Rs 150(valid for a week) and they issue a printed receipt. They don't flag down any cars, and it is purely 'voluntary' payment.
Bejoy ... Looking at last few posts I felt that this entry fee was for commercial/self-drive cars only and would not apply to personal vehicles, but from your post it appears even that is not compulsory.

So, can we totally avoid it for personal car, or should we pay up to keep things simpler in bigger picture (getting checked later on, etc.)?
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 18:38   #247
BHPian

How is Mananthavaadi -- Kattikulam -- Tholpetty -- Kutta -- Hunsur route? I am planning to drive on 2nd Jan. Please advice.
sarinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 19:45   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Bejoy ... Looking at last few posts I felt that this entry fee was for commercial/self-drive cars only and would not apply to personal vehicles, but from your post it appears even that is not compulsory.

So, can we totally avoid it for personal car, or should we pay up to keep things simpler in bigger picture (getting checked later on, etc.)?
It is compulsory for the taxis and the taxi folks religiously pay up at each borders. What I meant was that they don't flag any cars down for payment. Sorry if my post was confusing!

The private cars need not pay any entry tax (in KL, TN, AP or KA).
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 23:48   #249
BHPian

Quote:
The private cars need not pay any entry tax (in KL, TN, AP or KA).
I have done AP/TS -> KA -> KL -> TN in last few days, and didn't get flagged/stopped at any posts.
But after your update, I was prepared to pay that entry tax.
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 16:20   #250

BHPians, I'm headed to Wayanad with family on the 14th (stay at the Karapuzha Village Resort, close to Sultan Bathery). Considering its Sankranti, just wondering which would be the better route on that day? Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Wayanad or Bangalore-Kanakpura-Gundlupet-Wayanad?

Your expertise and past travels during this weekend on these routes would be really appreciated!
VinothAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 09:38   #251
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Your expertise and past travels during this weekend on these routes would be really appreciated!
If you can start by 5am, Mysore road is fine - few rough patches/road widening work between Mysore-Nanjangud but manageable, else go via Kanakapura - you can break at Nijaguna, Chamarajanagar.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 10:22   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
BHPians, I'm headed to Wayanad with family on the 14th (stay at the Karapuzha Village Resort, close to Sultan Bathery). Considering its Sankranti, just wondering which would be the better route on that day? Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Wayanad or Bangalore-Kanakpura-Gundlupet-Wayanad?

You will expect rush along Mysore road for sure. The better option would be to go via Kanakapura road. The only drawback on this route will be the lack of proper eateries apart from Nijaguna Residency or Hotel Mayura near the KSRTC bus stand in Chamarajangar
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 14:20   #253
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My friend will be driving from Sulthan Bathery to Ooty. He will be accompanied with his wife and 5 yr old daughter.

Which will be the best route considering the road conditions and any good choice of hotel enroute?
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 14:39   #254
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My friend will be driving from Sulthan Bathery to Ooty. He will be accompanied with his wife and 5 yr old daughter.

Which will be the best route considering the road conditions and any good choice of hotel enroute?
At Bathery itself there is a diversion from the NH 212 and this road reaches Gudalur. From there it is the regular NH to Ooty.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 14:46   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Well, there is a direct road from Bathery to Gudalur. The turn-off is immediately after Mintflower to the left when going towards Calicut. The road looks alright at both ends but the quality of the middle is unknown.

There are many other connections to the Chundale-Nadugani-Gudalur state highway too. Local drivers should be able to advice on road conditions.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote