Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 11:56   #331
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 9
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Road condition is excellent from Mysore till Kattikulam (went only till here), don't be bothered about the GC of your City, I don't recollect any large humps as well. Reached Mysore around 6 am and there was very thick fog in the city and on the Kattikulam road till around 8 am.

Google maps suggested taking left at the Mysore ring road signal (against the normal right) while going from Bangalore and I went with Google.
This is great. Thank you .

Just need to figure out now if the Kattikulam (SH 33) --> Mananthavady --> Alattil (SH 59) stretch is also in good shape
catchmeifuwant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 12:12   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Road condition is excellent from Mysore till Kattikulam (went only till here), don't be bothered about the GC of your City, I don't recollect any large humps as well. Reached Mysore around 6 am and there was very thick fog in the city and on the Kattikulam road till around 8 am.
Yes - the road is excellent almost all the way, but I'd advice low GC cars to be extra careful when driving in the forest stretch close to Bavali (the last 6-7 kms especially). The road is quite narrow at several places and you may end up having to get off the tarmac to pass an oncoming vehicle, and at a few places there is quite a bit of drop from the tarmac to the untarred shoulder of the road.

Quote:
Google maps suggested taking left at the Mysore ring road signal (against the normal right) while going from Bangalore and I went with Google.
When going from Bangalore, the left turn is indeed the better option. Much better road surface and not too much traffic. The right turn is good only when you're going towards Hunsur/Coorg. That section of the ring road isn't all that great, and you'll have to be on constant lookout for the occasional crater that appears out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifuwant View Post
Just need to figure out now if the Kattikulam (SH 33) --> Mananthavady --> Alattil (SH 59) stretch is also in good shape
Kattikkulam-Mananthavady is OK, but not great - there are stretches where the road surface is quite rough with the occasional pothole. No idea about the road after Mananthavady

Last edited by kala : 21st December 2016 at 12:14. Reason: Added response to OP's query about road after Kattikkulam
kala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 13:01   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,245
Thanked: 1,410 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

I am headed to Wayanad next week, and will be returning to Bangalore via Mananthavady & Mysore.

When I checked the route from Mananthavady to Mysore (a very duh thing to do, really, it is just a straight road!) Google Maps gave me this diversion from the main highway. Why is that?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-route_map.png  

KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 13:14   #334
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,228
Thanked: 7,778 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I am headed to Wayanad next week, and will be returning to Bangalore via Mananthavady & Mysore.

When I checked the route from Mananthavady to Mysore (a very duh thing to do, really, it is just a straight road!) Google Maps gave me this diversion from the main highway. Why is that?
The deviation you see is a bypass road that bypasses a section of the forest. The existing road through that section had been closed for a long time (Not sure of the reason, i think it is because it is a sensitive area of the forest). 2-3 years back the bypass road was upgraded and relaid into a proper road. Only post this, this route became a standard route from Mysore to Mananthavady.

No chance of going wrong, still remains a straight route, One won't even notice it is a diversion unless you look carefully and know the background history.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 21st December 2016 at 13:17.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 21:44   #335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 120
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Dear All,

We are a couple of families heading out to Tholpetty from HSR layout this weekend. We will be following Google maps throughout but after going through many pages of this thread, below is what I could make out:

1. Take the Mysore route if starting by 5 am else take Kanakapura route
2. Fog may be an issue early morning

Just wanted to confirm from the experts here, given its Christmas weekend, if 5 am start for the Mysore route is ok or do I need to start late considering fog may be an issue at that hour?

Thanks in advance
JKBKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 23:02   #336
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,696
Thanked: 4,472 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Just wanted to confirm from the experts here, given its Christmas weekend, if 5 am start for the Mysore route is ok or do I need to start late considering fog may be an issue at that hour?
Start by 5am, not later. You will also see good volume of traffic as it's the Christmas weekend.

Edit: if taking the Hunsur-Gonikoppal route, turn right at Columbia Asia hospital signal at Mysore to get onto the Mysore ring road. On this road is a nice hotel called Kalyani where you can stop for breakfast. You should be here around 8am if you start at 5am.

Last edited by NPV : 21st December 2016 at 23:10.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 06:38   #337
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,696
Thanked: 4,472 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
1. Take the Mysore route if starting by 5 am else take Kanakapura route
^^Ignore my earlier response.

Actually, you don't even need to take the Mysore or Kanankapura routes!

You can take Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Krishnarajapet (KR Pet)-Hunsur-Gonikoppal so your problem is mostly avoided, you will need to only negotiate Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna traffic which should be manageable (maybe about 40Km more but worth it).

For breakfast you can stop at Swathi Delicacy, Yediyur (right side) or Mayura, Bellur Cross (left side).

Last edited by NPV : 22nd December 2016 at 06:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:00   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,094
Thanked: 2,393 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Krishnarajapet (KR Pet)-Hunsur-Gonikoppal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
We are a couple of families heading out to Tholpetty from HSR layout this weekend
HSR - BTM - Banshankari - NICE road - Nelamangala and then take the route NPV suggested. Added bonus - visit this beautiful Hoysala temple near KR pet https://goo.gl/maps/jY7oGPaTUE22.

You can also avoid Gonikoppal and go directly from Hunsur to Kutta via Nagarhole. I think the roads are fine based on some recent feedback from other threads.

If you are driving with kids, then you can also consider Nelamangala - CR Patna - Kushalnagar - Dubbare - Gonikoppal
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:44   #339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 120
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Thank you NPV and PROCRJ for your quick response.

Yes we do have kids and parents with us. Every time we stopped for breakfast (in earlier trips) we lost 1.5-2 hours so this time we are planning to have some snacks/light breakfast in the car itself or we may stop by roadside for 15-20 minutes at max to save time and beat morning traffic. This will also give almost a full day on Saturday to venture around.

Just a quick question regarding the route suggested. Are the roads good/ok since my parents have slight back problems and bumpy road might aggravate the issue?
JKBKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:42   #340
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,696
Thanked: 4,472 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Just a quick question regarding the route suggested. Are the roads good/ok since my parents have slight back problems and bumpy road might aggravate the issue?
Roads are fine on these routes. Drive Safe! and do share your updates after the trip
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:41   #341
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 120
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Roads are fine on these routes. Drive Safe! and do share your updates after the trip
Thanks NPV. We looked at the difference in driving time from the Standard route (via Mysore) and your/procrj suggestions.

The difference is 30 kms for Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Krishnarajapet (KR Pet)-Hunsur- Tholpetty and 55 kms for Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Kushalnagar - Dubbare (Elephant Camp)-Tholpetty

One of the friends said its better to take Mysore route and save some driving time instead since we are starting quite early anyways.

Would appreciate you comments on this.
JKBKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:56   #342
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,228
Thanked: 7,778 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks NPV. We looked at the difference in driving time from the Standard route (via Mysore) and your/procrj suggestions.
The difference is 30 kms for Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Krishnarajapet (KR Pet)-Hunsur- Tholpetty and 55 kms for Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Kushalnagar - Dubbare (Elephant Camp)-Tholpetty

One of the friends said its better to take Mysore route and save some driving time instead since we are starting quite early anyways.

Would appreciate you comments on this.
I think NPV's point was that-in spite of the increased distance (for the Hunsur route) your driving time may end up being same or even less considering the day and time and the potential crowd on Mysore Road. The 2nd route is more for a scenic option, since you anyway need to go only till Tholpetty, and if you actually leave by 5, good option to take in some sights in Coorg along the way.

A lot depends on when you start. If you can actually start from HSR by before 5, Mysore Rd/Kanakpura Road should be good enough. When I go to Kerala, I start by ~4.30 latest from Belandur and typically always take Mysore Road. Last Christmas, I left exactly at 4. Was a smooth ride on Mysore Road.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 13:20   #343
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

The New Year's celebration will take place in Wayanad for couple of my friends. We'll be staying in Edakkal Hermitage. We'll leave from Bangalore on 30th morning around 0630 hrs, and the journey back to Bangalore will start at 1300hrs from Wayanad. Need you guys to suggest Breakfast options on our way to Wayanad (except Kamath Lokaruchi, Ramnagara) and a nice lunch option on our way back, somewhere in Wayanad only and an evening stop on our way back.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:12   #344
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,696
Thanked: 4,472 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Need you guys to suggest Breakfast options on our way to Wayanad (except Kamath Lokaruchi, Ramnagara) and a nice lunch option on our way back, somewhere in Wayanad only and an evening stop on our way back.
I think 0630 start via Mysore Road is not a great idea, given there will be the long weekend + holiday crowds.
If you end up taking that route, the entire road is a food court of sorts
Starting with Kadu Mane near Eagleton resorts, Bidadi to the food court just before entering Mysore city, there are lots of options! Adigas at Maddur on right side (also heard Thimmadas opposite Adigas on left side of highway is also good) is good. You also have few Coffee Days and McDonalds outlets too. Indradhanush and Shivalli restaurant are also good, next door to each other.

Alternately, start by 5am take Mysore Route and stop at Kamat Madhuvan opposite Mysore Palace on the Nanjangud road.

Other option is to completely avoid Mysore and take the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Chamrajangar-Gundlupet route. Stop for breakfast at Nijanguna, Chamarajanagar.

Last edited by NPV : 27th December 2016 at 14:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:30   #345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think 0630 start via Mysore Road is not a great idea, given there will be the long weekend + holiday crowds.
If you end up taking that route, the entire road is a food court of sorts
Starting with Kadu Mane near Eagleton resorts, Bidadi to the food court just before entering Mysore city, there are lots of options! Adigas at Maddur on right side (also heard Thimmadas opposite Adigas on left side of highway is also good) is good. You also have few Coffee Days and McDonalds outlets too. Indradhanush and Shivalli restaurant are also good, next door to each other.

Alternately, start by 5am take Mysore Route and stop at Kamat Madhuvan opposite Mysore Palace on the Nanjangud road.

Other option is to completely avoid Mysore and take the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Chamrajangar-Gundlupet route. Stop for breakfast at Nijanguna, Chamarajanagar.
It'll be crowded without any doubt, but we're a big bunch of people with pets and kids this time, so wanted to take this route. And we have someone joining us after flying in a redeye from Mumbai. So a start before 0630 might not happen.

I really wanted to explore the hidden gems along this route because places like Kamath, Rasta, Upsouth after Mandya, Adiga's, Tatte Idli shops around Bidadi etc. have been explored. Someone mentioned a place around Channapatna in some other thread, which I'll look for.

Any suggestion of places to eat in Wayanad?

Last edited by creative420 : 27th December 2016 at 14:32.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovering Gujarat : Help required for route and accommodation. v&v Route / Travel Queries 19 9th October 2011 08:54
Bangalore - (Korome) Wayanad route query Jeep Route / Travel Queries 3 25th April 2011 13:09
Hyderabad - Coonoor - Ashtamudi: Route & Accommodation Queries MileCruncher Route / Travel Queries 2 5th January 2011 23:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks