Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd June 2011, 12:52   #1
Cool Cochin to Chennai coast to coast and back

I am planning to make a long-anticipated road trip coast to coast starting out from cochin in mid-june, when i plan to buy or hire a car for a month.

A few questions:
1. Which car is the best suited for a journey like this - a mid-size sedan (preferably dog-friendly!) sounds promising
2. Which route is the most preferred to chennai?
3. I plan to then go down south to trichy / madurai / coimbatore and return to cochin - any advice on the routes / accomodation etc.?
4. Any dos and donts to make this trip a happy and safe one ?

Many thanks
muscateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Cochin to Chennai coast to coast and back

Any car will do, roads are good throughout.

Best route from Kochi to Chennai is NH47 to Salem (Trissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Avinashi-Bhavani-Sankari-Salem), NH7 (Omalur-Toppur-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri), NH46 (Vaniyambadi-Vellore-Walajahpet) & NH4 (Kanchipuram-Sriperumbudur).

Why don't you do teh East Coast Road from Chennai all teh way to KK:

If you want to go on non-coast road, nothing better than NH45 (Chengalpattu-Tindivanam-Villupuram-ULundurpet-Perambalur-Trichy-Viralimalai-Madurai), and return to Kochi on NH49 (Theni-Bodinayakanur-Bodimedu-Poopara-Munnar-Neriamnagalam-Kothamangalam-MUvattupuzha).
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote