Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th June 2011, 14:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: West coast route query Bangalore-mangalore-Kanyakumari-Bangalore

Based on your suggestions and discussion with my trip partner TBHPian avinashsg, we have decided to eleiminate Mangalore from our plan and make this an "all-kerala-trip"

I have prepared an excel template which I always use for planning my trips.
I really am not well versed with Kerala.
@Fauji, keeping your plan as a basis, I've started to build up my excel planner as shown below.
West coast route query Bangalore-mangalore-Kanyakumari-Bangalore-plan.png

BHPians,
please help me in making this a better plan...
Presently, after eliminating Mangalore, I have tentive plan ready for 8 days.
It includes driving everyday and staying 1 night each in all the lodges/House boats.
We actually have 9days at our disposal. So please suggest if I should include any more places in my plan or if I should stay for more time in any of the places.
My aim with this trip is:
- To forget everything(especially office ) and get refreshed.
- This actually will be my anniversary drive (marriage with my wife as well as my punto) so I have to take them for a nice drive

suggestions awaited...
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 14:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Yea, I was not referring to St. Marys Island. There's an island just off M'lore beach. I'll try digging in more info.

FYI : Legend has it that some dudes spotted some mermaid twice on this island. Of course, no one could take pics because she ran-swam away. Just FYI!

And St. Marys Island is nothing but a pile of garbage now. There are these vendors selling cold drinks, chips and what not; and no one bothers to get back the waste they generate so it is all littered thru' out the island.

@ Fauji : There are ferrys in the monsoon; they just don't run if it is raining. If they do run, the last one is at 2 or so (unlike the 4-ish on normal days)
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 15:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am a Mangalorean and I feel offended when people say that one day is too much for Mangalore :-(

The St. Aloysius chapel is beautiful. It has its walls painted with different biblical illustrations, and the paintings were originally done by some Italian artist, more than a century ago. Milagres church and Rosario church are also examples of the influence of Western architecture in India.

The Someshwar temple built on the rocks by the sea is beautiful too. And there are a couple of other temples, which I haven't been to (Kadri, Mangaladevi) that I hear are beautiful.

You can go to Sultan Battery, take a boat and go to Tanneerubavi beach on the other side of the river (may not be a good option during monsoons though).

I guess you can easily spend a couple of days checking out these places.

Last edited by rohanjf : 13th June 2011 at 15:03.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 15:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

IMHO,you could rework your plan so as to stay more in better locations than in the towns.

Day 1: You could stay the night in Kozhikode,after driving via Bekal fort.

Day 2: You could spend the morning/afternoon at Calicut/Kappad and arrive into Guruvayur to stay the night at GVR.

Day 3 Depending on your darshan and seeing Punnathur Kota(the elephant habitat 3kms from the temple)you could leave for Kochi via Athirappilly.(GVR-Thrissur-Chalakudy-Athirappily-Chalakudi-Alwaye-Kochi)Major parts of this stretch are 4 laned so no problems with traffic.Leave GVR around 9 and you can spend a couple of hours at A'ppilly and reach Kochi by 7-8pm.

Day 4:You could do the KSTDC boat trip that starts from the KSTDC Tourist Reception Center on marine drive,it is a 4hour drive that leaves at 2pm and drops you back at 6pm.You could leave for Alleppey from there itself.You would reach Alleppey in 2hours.

Day 5:The day that you have saved on your original day 1(stay at Pallikere)you can use it at Alleppey.Do a boat house cruise,with lunch onboard or at any of the innumerable small restaurants.

Day 6:Leave Alleppey after breakfast to reach Munnar for lunch.

Day 7: Stay in Munnar

Day 8: Leave for TVM after bf to reach TVM for lunch.Go around TVM

Day 9:Go around TVM and leave for KK after lunch via Suchindram(Hanuman temple)to reach KK on time to see the sunset.

Day 10:See the sunrise and depart for Bangalore.

I dont think your trip to Kerala would be complete without a trip to Munnar,and the monsoons is the time to be there(assuming you would anyways be driving through Kerala during the rains)
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 13:28   #20
BHPian

We have done Mangalore to Kanyakumari some years back. In Kanyakumari i would suggest you look at a couple of hotels before checking in. The place we stayed had direct view of Moon rise, Sun rise from the room balcony itself. During this season how much you will be able to see cannot be said. But the sky changes to different hues every minute during sunrise and the darkness of the sea during moonrise is also spectacular. If you are able to enjoy this from the comfort of your room then there is nothing like it.
nityaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 13:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Two weeks back on a saturday morning, the four people who were supposed to go on this trip sat together for finalizing things.

TBHP was open through out the time and we started to search for hotels in all the places.
My wife had only one condition, she wanted us to stay one day at "the rainforest",athirapally...Thanks to Fauji and his link to that hotel.
Obviously I had no other option . We called them up and checked the availability and prices.
We did the same for all 5 hotels(one day stay was planned in our estate near Sakleshpur) Which included a stay in a houseboat in Aleppy...
All hotels were available.

The cost of the 5 days stay(all 3star hotels) came up to 37k per couple.
The petrol cost came down to approximately 7k per couple.
We estimated that all other expenses would come to 55-60k per couple.

seeing this, BHPian avinashsg hit upon something and a page opened in one of the travel sites pointing to foreign trips.
When he showed that, we all thought that he was joking...It took some time for us to understand that he indeed was serious.
Some calls to his travel agent and more research on websites and we had a concrete plan on our hands.

WE ARE HEADING TO THAILAND

Its a 5 day customised personal trip to this Island country.
The cost...60k per couple including visa.
Now whatever we spend there will be the difference between our Kerala trip and this.
Last saturday, the tickets were done, Passport sent for visa stamping, and hotel confirmations were obtained.
Though the currency is almost equal, there is a shopping festival in Bangkok..so we'll try our best to control ourselves and keep this difference as low as possible

Very soon I'm planning to start a travelogue here.

God's own country will have to wait...

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st July 2011 at 13:47.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 17:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that Hemanth is off to Thailand, I'll hijack this thread.

Some friends and I are planning to go for a southern trip sometime last week of August. We have 4 days at hand and will be travelling most probably in my Corsa.

Would something like Bangalore-Kanyakumari-Trivandrum and back be possible/advisable?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 18:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

@libran What timing !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2438986 (Bangalore/Bengaluru to Trivandrum by Road)

But I am not sure you would be temple hopping with friends.

Singaar International at KK is a decent place.
Costly by KK standards, but nice for a stay.

In 4 days, what all you plan to cover?
12-14 hours you can reach KK from Bangalore. Spend a night/evening.

A day at TVM (may be give a visit to the Billionaire temple also )

Take the route via Thenmala/Thenkasi/Rajapalayam/Sriviliputtur/Madurai Bangalore. (Nice views on this route, but bad traffic).

But if the rains are too heavy stick to NH7 via Nagarcoil.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 20:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
12-14 hours you can reach KK from Bangalore.
Was that a typo ? Can't see anyone taking more than 8 to 9 hours to drive that distance on NH7.

Last weekend it took me 6 hrs 45 minutes to get to Kavalkkinar which is about 25 kms from KK - and that included a 20 minute breakfast break. Fabulous roads, very little traffic - so one can easily average around 100 kmph without ever going above 130 - 140

(It is another matter that the remaining 90 kms or so till Trivandrum took me about 2.5 hrs !! Thanks to the traffic conditions on NH47 / 47B)
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 21:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Not sure about it. With sedate driving (70-90) I would give 3 hours to Salem, and another 3 to Madurai.

Beyond Madurai about 3-4 hours max. Add another 1-2 hours max for BF and lunch breaks, it comes to max of 12. 14 I agree is too long.
(Maybe 10-12).

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2011 at 21:56.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:46   #26
BHPian

Post Re: West coast route query Bangalore-mangalore-Kanyakumari-Bangalore

Hi BHPians, I am Planning my honeymoon in May-15 (my fiance also likes long drives). My rough plan is as below. Please feel free to advice me on refining the routes and the destinations. Also request you guys to suggest budget yet decent stays.

My car: Ford Figo Petrol

You may also suggest some romantic deviations and alterations

Wedding on 3rd (Will send an invite separately)
Trip start date: 7/5/15
Places to visit: Mangalore -> Aleppy ->Munnar -> Bandipur -> Bangalore(The END)
Start from Mangalore on 7th early morning to Guruvayur and stay at Aleppy (2 nights) - Suggestions on boat houses and time required as well as must visit places on the way
Route: Along the coastline, the one normally taken (I know its really congested - any other suggestions??)
9/5/15: Aleppy to Munnar (2 nights) - Suggestions on must visits on the way and stay at Munnar and if any night safari's in and around munnar
11/5/15: Munnar to Bandipur - from one of the threads found out that MC Resort is a good budget place at Bandipur - Again the route is open between 6:00am to 4:00PM and explorable safaris (night).
12/5/15: Bandipur to Bangalore -> THE END

Guys please suggest places for stay as it would be vacation time, hence need to book everything in advance!!!

PS: Budget matters as we are software engineers

Thanks in advance
belvaisudheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 11:19   #27
BHPian

Awaiting your valuable suggestions..
belvaisudheer is offline   Reply With Quote