Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd August 2011, 08:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That was the idea The only thing am worried about is effect of landslides on these roads
Narayan,

Dont worry. the roads are in excllent condition and plan for it. Landslides are not in our control, right? But these roads are not that prone fpr landslides.

Take route as suggested by Addy. It is more scenic and also provide you an opportunity to visit Moodbidri famous for its 1000 pillored jain basadi.

Moodabidri (Mudabdri)Jain Temples

Another route you can do is which is again beautiful. this will avoid you going back to Udupi.

Maravanthe - Kollur - Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Sringeri - Balehonnur - Chikkamagalur. The roads are good. You have options of visiting Kollur temple, Nagara fort, Kuppalli for Kuvempu memorial, Kundadri and Agumbe.

Last edited by Fauji : 3rd August 2011 at 08:54.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Last weekend, we went to Tirthahalli for a "monsoon trek". Stayed in Bananki Homestay - awesome place and hosts (Thanks Fauji for the reco) and went around to Kavaledurga, Kundadri and to Kuppalli.
Hey Prasad, Nice to hear that you had a blast in Malnad. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Kavaledurga. We were driving in these areas the week after you did the trip and it was awesome. I captured some magical moments in this TL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-monsoon.html (Fauji's Drivolgues - Mesmerised in Malnad in Monsoon!!)

Take a look.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 15:43   #93
BHPian

Hi Fauji,

Saw your reply for my earlier posts for Bangalore- Kollur trip. Thanks for providing the info..
You have suggested to do a Dharmasthala, kukke trip first and then to kollur, but isnt it too long.. ??
Also, i am doing the trip on my Diesel conty and have concerns regarding driving in ghat sections..
Sudhindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 20:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
Hi Fauji,

Saw your reply for my earlier posts for Bangalore- Kollur trip. Thanks for providing the info..
You have suggested to do a Dharmasthala, kukke trip first and then to kollur, but isnt it too long.. ??
Also, i am doing the trip on my Diesel conty and have concerns regarding driving in ghat sections..
Hi Sudhindra,

Your requirement is to cover Kukke, Dharmasthala and Kollur. Also you want to do Nittur - Tirthahalli - Shivamogga.

This means you have an option of either going to Kollur first and then do Kukke and Dharmasthala or Vice versa. If you are going to Kollur first, and then do others later, it does not make sense to come back to Shivamogga/Tirthahalli from Kollur which you can do it while going itself. Also, since you mentioned that you will be driving at night, traffic on Shivamogga - Tirthahalli - Kollur will be lean and if there is an emergency, you will have trouble in getting help.

That's the reason i suggested you to do Bangalore - Kukke - Dharmasthala - Kollur - Tirthahalli - Shivamogga - Bangalore. Since you are driving at night, if you can leave early in the evening, you can reach Kukke by mid night, get some sleep, visit temple early in the morning and then proceed to Dharmasthala which is at short distance and from there you can drive to Kollur by evening and stay there for night. Next day morning visit Kollur temple and drive to Tirthahalli for Lunch and explore surroundings and stay for night and drive back to Bangalore after lunch next day after visisting some nice spots nearby. If you have to come back to bangalore on same day, you can do that as well.

If you feel the car does not take the roads, then drive on NH 48 from Dharmasthala - being holiday time expect delays and heavy rush - and stay in Mangalore for night. Next day morning, go to Kollur and then to Tirthahalli. Tirthahalli - Kollur road is in good condition.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Fauji : 10th August 2011 at 20:27.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:04   #95
BHPian

Hi Fauji

We have a slight change in our plan, instead of kollur we have decided to get the pooja done in sringeri.

Just wanted to know if we can do bangalore - sringeri via chikmaglur - adlur- - balehonnur during night driving.
if not we will go to kukke - dharmasthala - sringer. Either ways, how is the road condition between these locations..
Appriciate your response.
Sudhindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 23:46   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Yes. Monsoons are here!

This is the best time to see Western ghats and experience rain especially in the Malnad region of Tirthahalli in Karnataka. It is still unexplored and a place for some one who loves driving. Having been to Tirthahalli and surroundings many times, here is the recommended itenerary. Of course, this region can be visited throughout the year as well.

Make Tirthahalli as base (Thirthahalli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - it is centrally located and has good stay options - and you can comfortably plan for four to five days of outing. It is also a area which receives heavy rain fall. Here is the recommended itenerary.

Day 1 - Leave Bangalore in the morning and reach Tirthahalli for Lunch. It is a comfortable six hours drive. Have breakfast enroute either at Tiptur (Kamat) or Arsikere (Raghavendra Lodge) or Kadur (Vinayaka Cafe) or Birur (Preethi Canteen). On the way visit Amritapura - five KMs from Tarikere for its famous Hoysala temple. In the evening go around town, visit Bheemanakatte for a quiet evening by Tunga river.

Amritapura - Amrutesvara Temple, Amruthapura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Day 2 - Tirthahalli - Kundadri - Agumbe - Tirthahalli

Experience the fury of rain and wind on Kundadari - you can drive up the hill and enjoy panoramic view, visit Agumbe Rain Forest research station for King Cobra etc, visit Jogi gundi and Koodlu Theerta water falls, walk on the streets where Swami and his friends walked in Malgudi Days, return back to Tirthahalli in evening. You may not be able to see beautiful sunset at Agumbe during monsoons.

Route map - Google Maps

Kundadri pics - deepsan: Magical morning at Kundadri Betta
Agumbe - Agumbe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agumbe Rainforest research station - ::.Agumbe - Rainforest Research Station

Day 3 - Tirthahalli - Sringeri - Horanadu - Kuppali - Chbbalagudde -Tirthahalli

A beautiful drive. Have early breakfast or better have break fast at Sringeri. Visit temple and Ashram - don't miss seeing Award winning architecture of Sanskrit Pathashala. Drive to Horanadu. Have lunch in temple. After lunch drive back to Tirthahalli and on the way after Koppa, visit the beautifully restored heritage house of great kannada poet KUVEMPU as a memoorial for him at Kuppali - good signage is there. Trek to "Kavi Shyla" a small hill - ten minutes trek - adjoining to the memorial to see "Stone Henge" kind of structure done by well known artist K T Shivaprasad. Enjoy the beautiful view of Sahyadris from the top. Return back to Tirthahalli

Route Map - Google Maps

Kuppali - Kuppalli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sringeri - Shringeri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Day 4 - Tirthahalli - Kollur -Sigandur - Linganamakki back waters - Tirthahalli

After early breakfast drive to Kollur. Visit temple. On the way back visit Sigandur Chowdeshwari temple close to back waters. Go to ferry launch area. If ferries are plying hop on to experince the beauty of back waters.

Route Map - Google Maps

Day 5 - Tirthahalli - Kavaledurga - Mani dam - Nagara fort - Tirthahalli

Kavaledurga is a hillock fort close to Tirthahalli with amazing views of Mani reservoir and valleys. After break fast head towards Kavale durga. Trek the hill, enjoy the views. Drive to Mani dam and view beautiful surorundings. On the way back, visit Nagara Fort complex and return to Tirthahalli.

Route map - Google Maps
Kavale durga - The Voice of Greenery: Kavaledurga

Mani Dam - The Voice of Greenery: Kavaledurga
Nagara Fort -

Day 6 - Tirthahalli - Kodachadri - Tirthahalli

I am not sure of trekking of Kodachadri in Monsoons. If possible do it. Also visit beautiful Hittalamane falls at the fooot hills.

Route map - Google Maps

Kodachadri - The Voice of Greenery: Search results for kodachadri

Day 7 - Tirthahalli - Mandagadde bird sanctuary - Sakrebylu elephant camp - Shettihalli Wild Life sanctuary - Gajanur dam - Tirthahalli

This can be done as a comfortable day trip. Need to check with forest dept whether the Sanctuary will be open during monsoons. The details are in the link below.

Route Map - Google Maps

Shettyhalli WLS - Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary

Day 8 - Tirthahalli - Sagara - Jog falls - Tirthahalli

Visit famous temple at Ikkeri on the outskirts of Sagara. Drive to Jog falls. If time permits, come via Soraba and Gudavi to Tirthahalli after vsisting Gudavi bird sanctuary.

Route map - Google Maps

Ikkeri - ikkeri - Google Search

Gudavi - gudavi - Google Search

Day 9 - Return to Bangalore

Deviations

a) If one wants to visit Udupi, then they can deviate from Agumbe or Kollur.

b) If one wants to Murdeshwar and beyond te one can do so after Jog falls. Also there is a nice trek of Kanur fort from Jog falls for which one has to stay in Jog falls.

There are some travelogues by Team BHPians on this region

Air guitar - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...t-so-high.html (Solo, yet so high)

Samurai - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-agumbe.html (The running-in trip to Agumbe)

Magiceye - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...um-agumbe.html (Travel - A pilgrimage... Part 2 (Belgaum - Agumbe))

Pramod - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-charmadi.html (Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi)

Riju - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ppilangad.html (My sojourn:Theerthahalli-Kuppali-Agumbe-Kundapur-Karkala-Mlr-Bekal-Muzhappilangad)

Fauji - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html (Malnad In Monsoons)

Lukeskywalker - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kend-trip.html (Magical Malnad - A weekend trip)

I welcome any other inputs from BHPians which will help increase the interest in the region.
dear fauji poorna

you should also include my gtravelogue in the list provided by you above if you feel its good

here is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-mumbai.html (Mumbai Hubli Jogfalls Murudeshwar Kollur Sringeri Udupi Kolhapur Mumbai)

regards

praveen
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:14   #97

I am planning to go to the Malnad region for a four day trip starting this Thursday. I will be staying near Shimoga. I am traveling with my parents and my kids (3 & 5 years). I am leaving a bit late (11 AM) and would like to reach Shimoga as quickly and smoothly as possible, not terribly keen on site seeing en route. Which route is recommended?
1. Bangalore - Tumkur - Triptur - Arasikere - Tarikere - Shimoga (280 Km)
2. Bangalore - Nelamangala - Yadiyur - Thavarekere - Triptur - Arasikere - Tarikere - Shimoga (292 Km)
3. Bangalore - Nelamangala - Yadiyur - Channarayapattana - Arasikere - Tarikere - Shimoga (306 Km)
4. Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Shimoga (310 Km)

One the return, we will have more time and would like to have a picturesque drive. Which route is recommended? Via Chikamagalure or Kudremukh? I am driving an Innova so strictly no off roading!
XR4Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:19   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4Ti View Post
I am planning to go to the Malnad region for a four day trip starting this Thursday. I will be staying near Shimoga. I am traveling with my parents and my kids (3 & 5 years). I am leaving a bit late (11 AM) and would like to reach Shimoga as quickly and smoothly as possible, not terribly keen on site seeing en route. Which route is recommended?
1. Bangalore - Tumkur - Triptur - Arasikere - Tarikere - Shimoga (280 Km)
2. Bangalore - Nelamangala - Yadiyur - Thavarekere - Triptur - Arasikere - Tarikere - Shimoga (292 Km)
3. Bangalore - Nelamangala - Yadiyur - Channarayapattana - Arasikere - Tarikere - Shimoga (306 Km)

One the return, we will have more time and would like to have a picturesque drive. Which route is recommended? Via Chikamagalure or Kudremukh? I am driving an Innova so strictly no off roading!
XR4Ti,

Take route 1 while going. It is is in good condition and you can comfortably do Bangalore - Shivamogga in five hours with break for half an hour. Suggest leave early say 6 AM.

On the way back, you can drive via Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Shringeri - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Mudigere -Bangalore which is very picturesque. Take a look at my TL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-monsoon.html (Fauji's Drivolgues - Mesmerised in Malnad in Monsoon!!)
Old 24th August 2011, 02:09   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
XR4Ti,

Take route 1 while going. It is is in good condition and you can comfortably do Bangalore - Shivamogga in five hours with break for half an hour. Suggest leave early say 6 AM.

On the way back, you can drive via Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Shringeri - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Mudigere -Bangalore which is very picturesque. Take a look at my TL.

Fauji,

Thanks a ton for your reply.

I can't leave early as I have some work in the morning. That's why I want to do the quickest/safest route while going. I would prefer reaching my destination well before dark.

Yes, of course I have read all your Malnad travelogues. I think someone has already pointed out that you are like the brand ambassador for Malnad! I couldn't agree more :-)

I will probably try your suggested return route as well. It's 446 Km according to Google Maps. My only concern is that it may take almost 11-12 hours to drive (including breaks and food stops). Let's see how my parents and kids feel the evening before we head back and I will decide.
XR4Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 10:20   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fauji,

Thanks a ton for your reply.

I can't leave early as I have some work in the morning. That's why I want to do the quickest/safest route while going. I would prefer reaching my destination well before dark.

Yes, of course I have read all your Malnad travelogues. I think someone has already pointed out that you are like the brand ambassador for Malnad! I couldn't agree more :-)

I will probably try your suggested return route as well. It's 446 Km according to Google Maps. My only concern is that it may take almost 11-12 hours to drive (including breaks and food stops). Let's see how my parents and kids feel the evening before we head back and I will decide.
No worries even if you leave late. Probably you may take another 45 minutes extra. Does not matter. The route Via Tumkur - Arasikere is the best. It is quite safe. If you want to eat on the way, then Preethi canteen in Birur is good.

Thanks for your kind words. On the return, you should drive back on the route recommended. Do it leisurely and you can comfortably reach Bangalore by evening. Being innova, you dont feel the strain. Have lunch in Sringeri which has many options. Road conditions are surprisingly good. Your parents and kids will really enjoy the scenery and numerous water falls. It is possible that your parents might have seen the temples at Horanadu/Sringeri and you dont want to waste time there. It is a nice drive with many water falls and beautiful. Dont miss visiting Kundadri on the way from Tirthahalli to Agumbe.
Old 24th August 2011, 10:43   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Take the above route. It's effortless all the way till Chitradurga, from thereon via holehonnur, it's good all the way till Shimoga.

Now for the return trip, it depends on where you stay...
If you just wanna experience full malnaad monsoon drive, then I'll suggest
Shimoga - Theerthally-Agumbe-Sringeri- SK Border-Kudremukha-Kalasa-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-BLR.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 13:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Take the above route. It's effortless all the way till Chitradurga, from thereon via holehonnur, it's good all the way till Shimoga.

Now for the return trip, it depends on where you stay...
If you just wanna experience full malnaad monsoon drive, then I'll suggest
Shimoga - Theerthally-Agumbe-Sringeri- SK Border-Kudremukha-Kalasa-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-BLR.
Thanks Sushrutha. Makes sense to take this road while going if he is leaving later in the day. Time taken for doing extra 30 KMs can be comfortably made up beacuse of good roads till Chitradurga. Also, the road from Chitradurga to Shimoga is in good condition.

with you on the return journey route. It will be beautiful at this time.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:50   #103
BHPian

Arrived in tirthahalli from agumbe/sringeri.Have till evening in hand.2morrow back.What all can I visit around.Fort seems to be full of leeches.
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Arrived in tirthahalli from agumbe/sringeri.Have till evening in hand.2morrow back.What all can I visit around.Fort seems to be full of leeches.
Visit Kuppalli and Kavi Shyla 15 KMs from Tirthahalli. To see the nice memorila to KUVEMPU the greatest poet of Kannada. Climb few steps pf Kavi shyla next to the memorial for a nice view of surroundings.

Drive down to Kundadri which os 25 KMs from Tirtahalli for a beautiful views of Agumbe valley. These two places will suffice. Unfortunately, you could have done either of the two depending on which road you had taken from Sringeri. if you dont want to do any of the two, drive upto Mani reservoir which is a short drive from tirtahahlli for beautiful views.
Old 4th September 2011, 16:21   #105
BHPian

Thanx.Visited Mani Dam based upon your first post.Made my day... It's a must visit place.Kundadri was already done on the way from Agumbe.
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote