Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 10:15   #1
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,826
Thanked: 4,774 Times
Question Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Folks,
Two recent experiences while returning to Bangalore from Mysore (when returning from Calicut and K Gudi) - Traffic after Kengeri gets bad and the first snarl is near SAI/Gopalan Mall/RR Nagar Arch, then the ORR-Nagarbhavi Junction. It took me about 2 hours to reach my home near Old Mds Road-Suranjan Das Road (C V Raman Nagar area)

I have never taken the NICE Road so far but I think the only option on NICE Road for me would be:
1.Kengeri-NICE Road towards Kanakapura Road
2.NICE Road towards Bannerghatta Road
3.NICE Road towards Hosur Road
Once I reach Hosur Road I can take Koramangala-Inner Ring Road and reach HAL Airport Road-Suranjan Das Road or I can take the Attibele-Sarjapur-Whitefield Road to reach Airport Road-Suranjan Das Road.

Since the above route is from South to East side of the city I will be traveling on the periphery of the city doing close to 70 Km (and paying tolls) as compared to about 20 Km if I take the regular Mysore Road-Corportation circle-Cubbon Road-Old Mds Road route which passes through the CBD.

Would be great to know from others here about other alternatives.

Last edited by NPV : 12th June 2011 at 10:16.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,742
Thanked: 2,871 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

The distance you will have to travel if you take the NICE road is indeed much more than if you take the route thru' the city but the kind of traffic after Kengeri is terrible; especially after the Metro work beginning in the Kanakpura road area.

What you can do is : take the NICE rd; go on till the Electronic City exit. Continue on that road thru' Koramangala - Domlur flyover - Old Airport rd or even the Outer Ring road.

Don't think of the Banerghetta rd or Kanakpura rd exit; the traffic on them is just as bad.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 15:46   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks,
Two recent experiences while returning to Bangalore from Mysore (when returning from Calicut and K Gudi) - Traffic after Kengeri gets bad and the first snarl is near SAI/Gopalan Mall/RR Nagar Arch, then the ORR-Nagarbhavi Junction. It took me about 2 hours to reach my home near Old Mds Road-Suranjan Das Road (C V Raman Nagar area)

I have never taken the NICE Road so far but I think the only option on NICE Road for me would be:
1.Kengeri-NICE Road towards Kanakapura Road
2.NICE Road towards Bannerghatta Road
3.NICE Road towards Hosur Road
Once I reach Hosur Road I can take Koramangala-Inner Ring Road and reach HAL Airport Road-Suranjan Das Road or I can take the Attibele-Sarjapur-Whitefield Road to reach Airport Road-Suranjan Das Road.

Since the above route is from South to East side of the city I will be traveling on the periphery of the city doing close to 70 Km (and paying tolls) as compared to about 20 Km if I take the regular Mysore Road-Corportation circle-Cubbon Road-Old Mds Road route which passes through the CBD.

Would be great to know from others here about other alternatives.
NICE Road is not a real nice option if another alternative that I used to take for coming to Koramangala/Domlur/Indiranagar works for you

Here it is:
1) Just after Kengeri bus-stand (on your left), take the road to your right (Uttarahalli Road),
2) at Uttarahalli, take left to proceed towards through Padmanabhanagar to the DeveGowda petrol pump signal at ORR junction
3) at DG petrol pump signal at ORR junction, continue straight and proceed towards South End Circle or (even better) Minerva Circle
4) From Minerva Circle, take JC Road and then on the first signal, take right towards Urvashi Theater and then Shantinagar Bus Stand
5) From Shantinagar Bus Stand (Double Road), take the Richmond Circle flyover towards Residency Road.

Try it once and see the difference in timing and ease of driving once. To get the best difference in the 2 route (Mysore Road and this new route) timings, you can check this on a sunday evening
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 16:42   #4
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,826
Thanked: 4,774 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
NICE Road is not a real nice option if another alternative that I used to take for coming to Koramangala/Domlur/Indiranagar works for you

Here it is:
1) Just after Kengeri bus-stand (on your left), take the road to your right (Uttarahalli Road),
2) at Uttarahalli, take left to proceed towards through Padmanabhanagar to the DeveGowda petrol pump signal at ORR junction
3) at DG petrol pump signal at ORR junction, continue straight and proceed towards South End Circle or (even better) Minerva Circle
4) From Minerva Circle, take JC Road and then on the first signal, take right towards Urvashi Theater and then Shantinagar Bus Stand
5) From Shantinagar Bus Stand (Double Road), take the Richmond Circle flyover towards Residency Road.

Try it once and see the difference in timing and ease of driving once. To get the best difference in the 2 route (Mysore Road and this new route) timings, you can check this on a sunday evening
Thanks ajith.
One question on #3 - going straight after DG petrol pump will get me to Family Mart junction (Kanakapura Rd) from where I need to turn left for South End circle, correct ? My last experience on this stretch of Kanakapura Road was not very good due to mess of Metro construction and this will continue all the way on KR Road also. So from Kanakapura Road, I will need to get into Jayanagar, Ashoka Pillar, Lalbagh which is again traffic prone on weekdays especially.
How is the traffic on this route on weekday evenings ?

Last edited by NPV : 12th June 2011 at 16:48. Reason: adding a question/doubt
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 17:46   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks ajith.
One question on #3 - going straight after DG petrol pump will get me to Family Mart junction (Kanakapura Rd) from where I need to turn left for South End circle, correct ? My last experience on this stretch of Kanakapura Road was not very good due to mess of Metro construction and this will continue all the way on KR Road also. So from Kanakapura Road, I will need to get into Jayanagar, Ashoka Pillar, Lalbagh which is again traffic prone on weekdays especially.
How is the traffic on this route on weekday evenings ?
Here is a try on the difficult part of explaining the customized/familiar route. If you still did not get it, please let me know and I will try to guide you using GoogleMaps again:

From DG Petrol pump, go straight and the road takes a natural right. Then, at the 2nd or so junction (I guess it is the road opposite to the one coming from BSK BDA or Balaji temple), take left. Keep going on this road and you will cross ThyagarajaNagar and NR Colony on your left (driving almost on the periphery of these 2 localities). Then you will reach the South-West end of the big KrishnaRao park of Basavanagudi. Drive along the periphery road of this park keeping the same on your left, means from South-West corner, move to South-East corner and then to North-East corner of the park. At this North-East corner of the park, move diagonally 45 degrees towards NorthEast in the round-about and this road is KrishnaRoa Road. This will take you to lalbagh west gate and take RV Road to Minerva circle. Or instead of KrishnaRoa Road, you can also keep going straight and either take Vanivilas road (towards Lalbagh west gate) or SajjanRao Circle & Diagonal Road to reach Minerva Cirle directly.

In short, it is just a crossing of KR Road (no driving on this road at all) and no touching the choking points of Kanakapura road too. It is always under 45 minutes to 1 hour (peak-time) for me to reach Richmond Circle from Kengeri on this route. This is always better than Mysore Road where you are bored to death and makes life even more unpredictable than it is
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 17:59   #6
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Here is a better route . Better route because this is what I take daily.Coming from Mysore, take the NICE road and get the toll for PES college.
Once you enter NICE road (towards Hosur side), within 5 kms, you get an interchange where in the left ramp takes you to outer ring road. Take this ramp and after you exit the toll gate, proceed further under the outer ring road and take the side ramp wci puts you in to outer ring road

On ORR, take first left, which takes you to Srinagar. Proceed further to reach hanumanth nagar, basavanagudi on to JC road. Form here, it is normal road.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 18:16   #7
BHPian
 
blackbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

NPV,

There are no alternatives in Bangalore routes given the metro constructions everywhere. The best way is to avoid driving in peak hours.You may get a lot of optional routes to consider. But in the end, the difference they make is marginal.
I assume you work in Bagmane tech park.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 18:57   #8
BHPian
 
ukderebail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

I have managed to bypass the traffic snarls by taking the university road, reach the magadi road junction where a new flyover takes you to gorgantapalya signal junction, which touches the ring road towards BEL cirle, than on wards towards K R puram, take a right after banaswadi junction inside route to Bypanhalli towards C V Raman Nagar, it would be ideal route. No toll so far on this route and it is faster than any other route.
ukderebail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 21:47   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

NICE inspite of price at least provides a hassle entry to the city. With the elevated fly-over on NH7, the regular NH7 is very easy to drive and not much of an issue.

Add to it Silk-Board flyover and the under-pass its pretty easy to get on to Inner ring road. That according is me is a combination of easy driving and also hassle free access all the way to BEML via Indiranagar/Thippasandra. Hence I would go with libran.

@Ajit The route you mention, goes through all the major points. Its surprising that inspite of all that, you say its faster. I guess you know better as you have driven through. But seems counter intuitive to me (Only think I can think off is that since traffic keeps moving, there may not be an issue)

On ORR via BEL circle, and Hebbal: With all the construction going on, it would be difficult to face this traffic, after a peaceful highway drive.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 06:58   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,826
Thanked: 4,774 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
NICE inspite of price at least provides a hassle entry to the city. With the elevated fly-over on NH7, the regular NH7 is very easy to drive and not much of an issue.

Add to it Silk-Board flyover and the under-pass its pretty easy to get on to Inner ring road. That according is me is a combination of easy driving and also hassle free access all the way to BEML via Indiranagar/Thippasandra. Hence I would go with libran.

On ORR via BEL circle, and Hebbal: With all the construction going on, it would be difficult to face this traffic, after a peaceful highway drive.
NH7 is not an issue at all, on my trips to Coimbatore, Palakkad etc I don't have an issue while returning since I take the Attibele-Sarjapur -Whitefield Road (first right turn after crossing the border and entering Bangalore) so that way I don't even have to take elevated tollway on Hosur Road.
However, the issues are on my way back from Mysore side when I get stuck on Mysore Road just after Kengeri. Plan to try NICE Road from Mysore Road (Kengeri) upto Hosur Road soon.
ORR via BEL circle is a pain after Hebbal since there are 3-4 flyovers are being constructed on the stretch between Hebbal and Banaswadi.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 12:11   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
However, the issues are on my way back from Mysore side when I get stuck on Mysore Road just after Kengeri. Plan to try NICE Road from Mysore Road (Kengeri) upto Hosur Road soon.
I take that route all the time. (Mysore road to NH7 and then to Silk board).
It works like a charm. You reach silk board in 30-40 minutes max from Mysore NICE entry/exit point.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 15:33   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
NICE inspite of price at least provides a hassle entry to the city. With the elevated fly-over on NH7, the regular NH7 is very easy to drive and not much of an issue.
Add to it Silk-Board flyover and the under-pass its pretty easy to get on to Inner ring road. That according is me is a combination of easy driving and also hassle free access all the way to BEML via Indiranagar/Thippasandra. Hence I would go with libran.
Agreed to this route. Taken this occassionally and it is much better than Mysore Road or (after taking NICE Road) Kanakapura Road or Bannerghata Road if you are driving towards Indiranagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Ajit The route you mention, goes through all the major points. Its surprising that inspite of all that, you say its faster. I guess you know better as you have driven through. But seems counter intuitive to me (Only think I can think off is that since traffic keeps moving, there may not be an issue)
Here is why I said so. During April/May (read summer vaccation), atleast weekly twice, I had to drive till near Global Village (off Mysore Road) and return to Koramangala/Domlur Inner Ring Road in the morning peak-hour traffic time (between 8 AM to 11 AM). As per the timing goes, it was always under one-hour in either direction.

Return route is what I mentioned above. Here is the forward route from near Koramangala Bus Depot.
1) Take the road opposite Bus Depot, Cross Temple Road, pass by JNC and reach the FIRST traffic signal (on my route) just before St. John's
2) Take right here, pass by SG Palya and reach the SECOND traffic signal near Sagar Apollo Hospital
3) Take right here, pass by TilakNagar/Byrasandra/MadhavanPark and reach the THIRD traffic signal at South End Circle.
4) Go towards KrishnaRao park, then take some interior roads in NR Colony and ThyagarajaNagar and reach the next main (and the LAST in my route) traffic signal near DG Petrol pump
5) Cross ORR and drive non-stop (except for any BMTC induced congestion at Uttarahalli junction) till Mysore Road.
This would take less than an hour usually.

On the return, almost the same time (perhaps an additional time of max 15 mins) but would follow the majority of one-ways after Basavanagudi since I come through Minerva Circle, Urvashi Theater, Lalbagh Double Road (a bit of congestion near Shanthinagar Bus Stand), Richmond Circle Flyover, Residency Road, Garuda Mall, Hosmat Hospital, India Garage signal, then Vannarpet and immediate left at Canara Bank through the interior roads (on the periphery of Army campus) to reach Ejipura bus-stand & then IRR signal.

I agree that this is counter-intuitive and I used to avoid this for long even after my friends used to advice me to take this route to RajaRajeswari Nagar temple. A few of my friends actually stay near this temple and work in EGL (Inner Ring Road) or BTP (near CV Raman Nagar) and usually take this route. According to them, the most time consuming stretch is the one from Indiranagar FlyOver till crossing Koramangala Sony World signal.

Again, if you drive this and your experience is bad the first time (and maybe the second time again), you may NEVER try this route again. But there was only once when I got delayed more than 30 minutes of my usual timings in this route and incidentally that was HDK's birthday celebrated all along the road from DG Petrol Pump till Uttarahalli junction :-)

Last edited by ajithbr : 13th June 2011 at 15:38.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 16:37   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Ajit thanks for that detailed response. Route becomes quite clear. Only question is:
Is there a proper underpass where the Uttarahalli main road, crosses NICE road?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:14   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ajit thanks for that detailed response. Route becomes quite clear. Only question is:
Is there a proper underpass where the Uttarahalli main road, crosses NICE road?
NICE Road passes under Uttarahalli main road. Sometimes, you can see youngsters stopping at this road over-bridge and taking some photos of NICE Road from above. If you want to be more clear, choose Uttarahalli-Kengeri pair in GoogleMaps and then change to "Satellite" view at the intersection point of the 2 roads
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 21:41   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,826
Thanked: 4,774 Times
Default Re: Query:Avoid Mysore Road for Kengeri-Old Mds Road route

Sorry, do not intend to bump this thread.
A long pending route trial for me - did this today (only one half though).
Wanted to do C V Raman Nagar to Mysore Road via NICE Road but ended up doing just C V Raman Nagar - Bannerghatta Road and back via NICE Road. Most folks here will already know this route, just sharing my log and experience:

Home - 0 km - Took Inner Ring Road, Koramanagala, Hosur Road.
Passed BETL (elevated tollway) junction - 11.5 km (did not take BETL elevated tollway, continued on Hosur Road)
Passed the junctions for Koodlu and the Road to Central Jail. 'Tumkur' signage is the one for NICE Road (not very well marked since entry is from the service road).
The entrance ramp is accessible only from service road with a metal railing all along separating the service road from the main lanes of Hosur Road. So if you are not on the service road, once you pass the ramp, you reach a signal where you can turn left (rather a U-turn) onto the service road and then access the NICE road ramp.
NICE Road ramp - 19 Km
Pay Rs.25 Toll, reach Bannerghatta Road - 28.5 km
For now, all vehicles need to use the Bannerghatta road exit (work is in progress to complete the flyover to connect it to other side of Bannerghatta Road for vehicles proceeding towards Kanakapura, Magadi Road, Mysore Road, Tumkur Road)

Once you exit to Bannerghatta Road, take right and then immediate left to continue towards Kanakapura Road, Magadi Road, Mysore Road, Tumkur Road exits (There is another toll plaza)

Once we exited to Bannerghatta road, we decided to go see the Royal Meenakshi mall (we're not mall people and never go to any of the malls but today was different, just for a change)
We took right on Bannerghatta Road and proceeded towards Royal Meenakshi mall
Royal Meenakshi Mall - 32 Km

Return journey from Royal Meenakshi to C V Raman Nagar
-------------------------------------------------------
Bannerghatta Road - NICE Road junction towards Hosur Road on left - 35.5 Km
Confusing part is there is no toll plaza but just a booth manned by a security guard. Had to ask that guy where to pay the toll, then found out that we need to pay when exiting at Hosur Road !
Toll Plaza at Hosur Road exit of NICE Road - 45.5 Km
Pay Rs.25 Toll
Hosur Road - 46 Km
Home - 64.4 Km

Still need to try the remaining part of Bannerghatta Road - Mysore Road via NICE - some weekend soon

Last edited by NPV : 25th September 2011 at 21:44. Reason: Hosur Road - Bannerghatta Road via NICE road
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyderabad to Mysore - Can I avoid NH7 (partially or fully) and do it in a day? Bigzero Route / Travel Queries 44 1st December 2016 11:07
Kengeri to Pavagada pariwar Route / Travel Queries 7 7th March 2014 21:23
Bangalore to Ooty- Can we avoid Mysore shankaranand Route / Travel Queries 24 19th October 2007 11:05
Speed limit of 60 KMPH Enforced till Kengeri on Bangalore - Mysore H'way w 12 Street Experiences 18 22nd October 2006 03:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks