Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th June 2011, 03:24   #1

Question Bangalore to Delhi bike trip

Hi all,

I'm planning a bike trip from Bangalore to Delhi, and have more or less finalized the following route (with a night halt at all of these cities):

Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Goa - Pune - Mumbai - Baroda - Udaipur - Ajmer - Jaipur - Delhi

I'll probably skip Mumbai & Jaipur, but have not decided yet. So the trip will take anywhere between 7 to 9 days, depending on whether I stop over at Mumbai/Jaipur or not.

If anyone else has done the same route, could you please advice on the road conditions, any areas that I should probably avoid, recommended pit-stops, budget hotels, etc?

Bike is an RE C500.

Thanks,
Rana
ranatsanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 21:56   #2

Default Re: Bangalore to Delhi bike trip

Have done that route twice. Since you are from Bangalore I would advice you to skip Murudeshwar ( you will miss one temple on hill and sea ), and spend more time in Jaipur/ Pushkar. You can try Murudeshwar sometime later

Approximate 2800 KM smooth drive through GQ.

Ride safe.

Cheers,
Viju
vijus_n_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 23:29   #3
BHPian

I recently did a trip on my Enfield from Hyderabad to Delhi (Hyd - Pune - Mumbai - Baroda - Chittorgarh - Delhi) in Apr 2011 so can give some tips about the Mumbai - Delhi stretch.

I would really advice that you stay overnight in Mumbai since you'd have access to a variety of options when it comes to hotels, guest houses etc and can also get the bike repaired easily if needed. Leave Mumbai early in the morning - take the Western Express Highway - I left Mumbai pretty late in the day so had to encounter a lot of jams while leaving the city but if you leave early (say before 7am) then it should be a smooth exit for you. The NH8 after Mumbai is pretty good, repair/widening work is going on at some places but not too much so it shouldn't be a bother. Occasional traffic jams in Gujarat might be irritating but being in a bike will save a lot of time at such places. You'll easily be able to hit Baroda by early evening - I left at 10am and was in Baroda by 8pm which is not too bad given that I spent more than 2 hours just leaving Mumbai :(
There are a whole bunch of options in terms of hotels in Baroda, I stayed at Relish Hotel which is slightly expensive but the rooms were very comfortable.

The road from Baroda to Udaipur is simply divine, except for a very small stretch from Baroda to Ahmedabad, the rest of the way the road will not be a problem. Udaipur also has a whole bunch of options in terms of hotels, if your budget permits then just ride around Fateh Sagar lake, there are a lot of hotels and a few guest houses close by. If you're looking for an economy option, I think there are a bunch of hotels near the railway station which will suit your purpose. Also check out a place called "Sukhadia Circle" - it has a bunch of fairly decent hotels.

After Udaipur I'd advice that you skip NH8 since the highway is horrible between Udaipur and Ajmer. Instead head to Chittorgarh and then to Ajmer, you'll have to ride a little extra but the roads are very good and trust me you'll save a lot of time (not to mention unnecessary pain) compared to NH8. At Ajmer the RTDC Khadim (near bus stand) is a good option to stay at, otherwise you can ask some autowallahs near the bus stand about good hotels in the vicinity.

The road from Ajmer to Jaipur is good but the entire length from Jaipur to Delhi is undergoing repairs so I guess you won't be able to maintain high average speeds. However Jaipur -> Delhi is just 200km odd so if you leave early enough in the day you won't have to ride in the dark.

Hope this information will be useful to you, all the best for your grand adventure - ride safe
singhsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 00:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have just the answer for you!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-gurgaon.html (Shifting base : A road trip thru' Pune-Baroda-Ah'bad-Udaipur-Ajmer-Gurgaon!)

This should help you from Pune-Delhi. Let me know if there's any other detail you'd want.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 10:47   #5

Wow! Thank you all for your advice. I finally did do the trip, and have reached Gurgaon. I just wish I had a few more days to explore the countryside.

The route I finally took was:
Bangalore - Shimoga (night halt) - Murudeshwar & Gokarna (sight-seeing) and then to Belgaum the same day (night halt) - Pune - Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Ajmer - Gurgaon.

The roads were mostly good, except for the Baroda - Ahemedabad, and a ~100km stretch somewhere between Ahmedabad and Udaipur.

I then kept on the NH8, and the road a little further off from Nathdwara all the way to Ajmer was superb (via Beawar area).

It was an exhilarating experience! 3000km even & 7 days!
Old 25th June 2011, 11:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranatsanand View Post
The route I finally took was:
Bangalore - Shimoga (night halt) - Murudeshwar & Gokarna (sight-seeing) and then to Belgaum the same day (night halt) - Pune - Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Ajmer - Gurgaon.

The roads were mostly good, except for the Baroda - Ahemedabad, and a ~100km stretch somewhere between Ahmedabad and Udaipur.
Great to hear you completed the road trip!

What all did you see in Gokarna? Has the monsoon hit yet or the shacks are still there on Om beach?

Do you mean to say the Baroda-A'bad is excellent or bad? I found the Baroda - A'bad "superway" extremely good on my trip!

Now for your TL.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:57   #7

In Gokarna, I just wanted to experience two things:
1. The waves crashing against the side of the hills (have usually seen the Arabian Sea from the "beach" view)
2. Namaste Cafe

Gokarna was not a disappointment - but its also zero fun without friends!

I reached Gokarna, and Namaste Cafe, at 4pm. Had a quick bite, and then headed out by 5:30pm.

It was not raining anywhere between Bangalore - Shimoga - Gokarna, but I did experience some drizzle on Karwad - Hubli stretch.

Belgaum - Pune was a breeze, and Pune - Mumbai was the biggest pain! It was raining like crazy all the way to Pune, and to top it off, I took the Panvel bypass (BIG MISTAKE ) and ended up at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT)...the route was clogged with potholes, pollution, rains and HUGE trucks and tankers! Plus it added an additional 60km to my ride!

Mumbai to Ahmedabad was great all the way to Baroda, where I turned left to stay on NH8, instead of taking the expressway! I assumed (wrongly perhaps?) that the expressway will be closed to bikes (like it is for Pune-Mumbai expressway).

Amemadabad to Ajmer was mostly nice, except for the stretch in between which was a single lane highway. It was drizzling most of the way, right till Ajmer (and a dhaba walaah told me that it was the first day of the monsoons - so it looks like I pretty much rode in with the rains ).

Someone told me that there are two routes from Udaipur to Ajmer, and one of those is the more desolate one (via Beawar). That's the one I took, and I had NO complaints! It was the most beautiful ride of the entire trip!

The trip was fantastic! I rode hard and fast, and the bike responded beautifully. Zero downtime (got lucky I guess!)