Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th June 2011, 19:37   #1
BHPian

Default Is night driving dangerous on the Delhi-Binsar route?

hi everyone! this is my first thread ever so please excuse the mistakes if any.

I have booked rooms in binsar from 19th to 21st june. We were thinking of leaving delhi at 4 AM on 19th but after lots of discussion i think leaving at 11 PM on 18th is better as it takes approx 9 hours to reach and by leaving at 4 am (which is going to be 5 am given my families tendency of being late) will reach at around 4 pm(considering the time for breakfast and lunch) and by that time it would be almost dusk. So we will get the whole day to ourselves if we leave early while it would be wasted if we leave late.

Also for leaving at 4 am we would have to get up at 3 am atleast so we are hardly gonna get any sleep on the 18th so why not leave early.

So my question is that is there any risk of night driving in terms of robbery and those rash truck drivings?

my route will be:
http://www.oktatabyebye.com/travel-d...to-Binsar.html

i am open to new routes also if it makes night driving better.

Guys please advise ASAP
Thanks
varunsonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 10:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is night driving dangerous for delhi-binsar route?

I would advise 4am option. The route in western UP is truckers domain during early part of night so I'd say avoid it.
sudev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 20:10   #3
BHPian

Varun,

I would also suggest to leave 4 AM tomorrow (19th) morning. Night driving is not safe in this area.

Wishing you a happy and safe journey!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 22:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I will of course go against the grain and say, go ahead and do it.

Last April, I did Gurgaon to Munsyari, about 660km. left gurgaon at 1030, drove through the night, amidst some horrible traffic at Garhmukteswar. Took 2+ hour sleep after Gajraula and 1 hour around Almora. Yep - parked & dozed off in the car itself. Because I was driving after office. If you are fully rested, no issues. Again, use your brain positively and keep alert.

Definitely no safety issue. leve a bit later like around 1am to cross the kaladungi area (completely forested) by daybreak.

OTOH, you have a 3 day booking. So even if you leave at 7 - what's the harm? Enjoy the journey.

/My sasural is in lucknow so I've done about 15+ DEL-LKO and back drives. All overnight via NH2. another area most people don't normally venture into at those hours!
//When i did binsar, I left gurgaon at 715am, picked up a friend at 745 did lots of random photography enroute to reach binsar checkpost very late. Don't try that with family. Reach before sundown. After that, they close it. And fine those who turn up late.

Last edited by phamilyman : 18th June 2011 at 22:21.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:44   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Is night driving dangerous on the Delhi-Binsar route?

Hi!! just got back 30 minutes ago.. i took the night drive for the first time in my life and i have to say it was way better.. I will post details in my travelogue.
varunsonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 00:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any idea as to what is the best route, and time, to travel to binsar now from Delhi?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Any idea as to what is the best route, and time, to travel to binsar now from Delhi?
mayankk:
IMO stick to Delhi-Hapur-Moradabad Byepass-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Nainital-Almora-Binsar.
Plan around 10 hours w/o breaks
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
mayankk:
IMO stick to Delhi-Hapur-Moradabad Byepass-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Nainital-Almora-Binsar.
Plan around 10 hours w/o breaks
I would say take the Delhi-Hapur-Moradabad-Rampur-Rudrapur-Haldwani-Kathgodam-Almora-Binsar route. We used to avoid it earlier as the Rudrapur stretch was horribly broken, and there was plenty of town traffic. But I travelled this route in July en route to Mukteshwar. The Rampur-Rudrapur stretch has been completely repaired. If you travel at night, you will have no town traffic. Given that this is a broader road with access to populace in close proximity, I recommend you take this route.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote