Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th August 2011, 07:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Churu (Rajasthan) to Kochi road update requested

I am planning to do this trip during this weekend. Please let me know what is the easiest option to bypass Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Churu (Rajasthan) to Kochi road update requested-bombp.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 11:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Here is the detailed Bombay Bypass info:

HOW TO BYPASS BOMBAY via New Bombay - from South side

Zero point is Kalamboli where the Pune- Bombay expressway ends.

Keep going towards Bombay. You will cross several flyovers through Kharghar and Belapur. Belapur can be identified by the large number of office buildings to the left (including Konkan Bhavan, Park Hotel). After Belapur, the road climbs up a hill and comes down to the other side. The traffic signal at that junction is the Uran Phata. After crossing that signal you will cross Nerul (you will see the light pillars of the DY Patil cricket stadium on your left), and you climb up a flyover after crossing Nerul.

Expressway end-Belapur, 8 kms

Ahead of the Nerul flyover, you will see a complicated flyover coming up (the Turbhe flyover). Over the flyover is Bombay(it curves away to the left). Your road is the road to Thane (marked straight)( keep to the right and avoid going on the flyover). This place is Turbhe. Keep going straight and you will reach a messy junction with a signal and then a flyover curving away to the left. Keep below the flyover to the left (flyover starts to the right) and keep going straight. SET your trip meter here, since from here (Turbhe) exactly 10 kms you have to take a turn.

Belapur-Turbhe Flyover, 7 kms

You are now going on the Thane- Belapur road - goes through industrial area. First you will cross Turbhe Railway Station (RS) on your left. You will see a few flyovers – take only the straight subway type flyovers and avoid the 2 ones which curve to your left. You will see the Reliance Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge City (DAKC) to your right. You will cross the Rabale and Kopar Khairne RS to your left.

10 kms from Turbhe, the road goes down into a subway (DO NOT Take the flyover going straight to Thane) and in the subway, turn left. This is Airoli, and the subway (after you turn left) goes under the railway line. The left turn will be marked for MULUND.

Turbhe-Airoli, 10 kms

Keep going on this road ( the Airoli Bridge road) and you will cross the Thane Creek (1 km bridge), at the end of which there is a toll gate (Rs 30). Followed by an octroi gate.

You will hit the Eastern Expressway (EEH) - flyover going from left to right. Left goes to Ghakopar/Bombay, straight to Mulund, and you turn right towards Thane. Down this road after 1 km is a flyover after which is a toll gate (Rs 30). After the toll gate, you will see trucks line up at another octroi gate and a stone tower, indicating that you have left Bombay and entered Thane. The road goes up a slope and when you come down that slope you see a flyover. Go over the flyover. 1 km down the road around a long curve, you will see another flyover - go on it - and this is a 1.5 km elevated road.

After you come down this long flyover (you will see ITC Fortune Hotel & Jupiter Hospital to your left and Hotel Lerida to your right), you will see yet another flyover - sign boards saying Nasik (on flyover).DO NOT take this flyover - go underneath (left side). The road meets traffic coming from the left, and curves to the left to meet first a small junction, then a small round. Keep going straight - you are now in the Ghodbunder road. You will see the Cinemax multiplex on your left, Ford showroom on your right.

Go on this road 16 kms and you will reach the NH8 junction at Ghodbunder (immediately after a toll gate - Rs 15), which is after you climb up and down a small ghat. Some flyovers under construction on this road.

At the NH8 junction, turn right (left goes to Dahisar/Bombay) and it is all the way.

This whole journey should take you 1-1.5 hours. The only traffic blockage you may face is at Thane near the last flyover on the route.

DON’T take the road from Kalamboli via Taloja, Shilphata, Mumbra and Kalwa to Thane, it is shorter but road condition is not good. And you can get confused too

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India to Ghodbunder Rd, Thane, Maharashtra, India - Google Maps
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 13:42   #18
BHPian

To add to HVK's detailed option, alternatively, you could continue striaght on the Thane-Belapur Road, instead of taking the left at Airoli.

Keep continuing on the Thane-Belapur road till you hit a bridge - Kopri Bridge. Cross the bridge, go straight past the circle and take right which leads to a 4-way signal by the pond. Take right at the signal and keep going till you hit a big round about (Sumer Palace Apt complex) , and here, you need to take the top-right . This road hits the Eastern expressway at the Ghodbunder entry point.

The 2 hitches are
1. You could get stuck in traffic at the Thane Railway Underpass ( 50-50)
2. The Sumer Palace junction has 4-5 roads converging. Of the 2 roads to the right, take the one on the top right, not the bottom right.

This shorter route might take you roughly same or slightly more time but you will have toll savings of 60 bucks ( 1 litre of petrol).

Map - Google Map
longford is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
To add to HVK's detailed option, alternatively, you could continue striaght on the Thane-Belapur Road, instead of taking the left at Airoli.

Keep continuing on the Thane-Belapur road till you hit a bridge - Kopri Bridge. Cross the bridge, go straight past the circle and take right which leads to a 4-way signal by the pond. Take right at the signal and keep going till you hit a big round about (Sumer Palace Apt complex) , and here, you need to take the top-right . This road hits the Eastern expressway at the Ghodbunder entry point.

The 2 hitches are
1. You could get stuck in traffic at the Thane Railway Underpass ( 50-50)
2. The Sumer Palace junction has 4-5 roads converging. Of the 2 roads to the right, take the one on the top right, not the bottom right.

This shorter route might take you roughly same or slightly more time but you will have toll savings of 60 bucks ( 1 litre of petrol).

Map - Google Map
I prefer to recommend turning off for Airoli because it avoids going into the mess that is Thane city and the Airoli bridge gives you access to the Eastern Express Highway & straight road to Ghodbunder instead of turning in and out of Thane city. The route I have suggested is time-tested used by several hundreds (no joking!) and not a single person has lost his way or got delayed.

The route through Thane city will also guarantee you get stuck inside bad city traffic most times of the day and has no signages to help highway travellers (unless you want to navigate inside Thane city using Marathi signboards). Even though I live in Thane's outskirts (off Ghodbunder Road), I shudder to go anywhere near Thane city.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 11:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kumar & Longford for the detailed report. I am much relaxed now

Rgds,
Old 8th August 2011, 15:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone, I am back after this trip.

My friend accompanied me during this trip though he is not a driver. We left Bangalore by Friday evening for same day start. Reached Jaipur little late (11.30pm), took car from my brother at Jaipur airport. Dropped him at Sikkar road and finally started at 1am.

We kept it at 2000-2250 RPM (80-95km/hr) all through the journey as I felt uncomfortable beyond that in this small car.

Thank you HVK for directing through Bharuch where the 1881 AD bridge was amazing.

Reached Vapi at about 8pm from there till Eway, it was raining/heavy traffic. I was surprised to see toll for under construction roads (am I right?) in this area.

We finally reached Pune E-way exit toll at around 3.45am through heavy rain and traffic and decided to take rest at Pune (4.30am)

Started at 7.15 am from Pune, reached Nelamangala at 7.10pm.

Road conditions overall was good except for Thane area. Udaipur bypass looked like recently patched up.

The lights (130W) were gone before Bhilwara, wiper blade came out near Vashi otherwise the drive was pleasant.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 8th November 2011, 17:18   #22
BHPian

Friends, please help me choose the best route. I am planning to do a Cochin-Delhi trip(its a long pending one for me!) in December. Enroute I want visit Shirdi too. Now I would require the help from experts in choosing the route from Shirdi to Delhi.

Options in front of me.

1. Shirdi-Pune-Mumbai(bypass via Godbunder)-Ahmedabad-Jaipur-Delhi (Night halt@ Ahmedabad)

2. Shirdi-Dhule-Mhow-Ratlam-Chittorgarh-Jaipur-Delhi.(Night halt @ chittorgarh)

Which of them would be the best and suggestions on good hotels in Ahmedabad & Chittorgarh
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 07:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon
1. Shirdi-Pune-Mumbai(bypass via Godbunder)-Ahmedabad-Jaipur-Delhi (Night halt@ Ahmedabad)

Which of them would be the best and suggestions on good hotels in Ahmedabad & Chittorgarh
I would opt for the GQ as it would be a faster drive abd very good facilities enroute as well.

Shirdi-Nasik-Thane via NH3 4-5hrs
THane-Ghodbunder-JOin Nh8-Manor-Vapi-SUrat-Baroda 6-7h.YOu could stay tye night at the new place that has opened up just before the NE1 called Plazzo

Baroda-AMD RIng ROad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur 5hrs

Udp-Bhilwara-Kishengarh-Jaipur 6hrs

Gurgaon-Delhi 4-6hrs

If you are ready to push on beyond baroda on day 1,then I would suggest that you stay in hotel landmark at himmatnagar on nh8 itself.Baroda himmatnagar would be 2-3hour drive
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote