Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 12:46   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
1>can i bypass ahmedabad city, which route to take
While coming from Baroda,take the SP Ring Road to continue on NH8 towards Himmatnagar.Well marked signage available from the end of the expressway.https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=13


Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Ranthambore from Udaipur
a>via tonk
b>via chittoragarh and bundi
c>via kota
Preferred route should be Udaipur-Chittor-Kota-Bundi-Tonk-Sawai Madhopur.No updates from me on recent condition though.You could check with Tbhpian Deky,as he might have the latest.4laned till Kota.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...&via=6&t=m&z=8
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 13:44   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello Friends

Me and my wife are planning to visit Udaipur and Ranthambore 1st week december. As per my bookings i am staying 3 nights in Udaipur , 2nights in Ranthambore. My plan is

day 1
drive mumbai -udaipur stay at udaipur at night

day2,3,4
stay at udaipur so local and nearby sightseeings like haldi ghati etc

day 4
drive to ranthambore

day 5
ranthambore

day 6 & 7
back to mumbai

I have a safari gx

My queries as follows

1>can i bypass ahmedabad city, which route to take
2>This is important query?. The google map shows 3 route to Ranthambore from Udaipur
a>via tonk
b>via chittoragarh and bundi
c>via kota

which route to take, I do not mind bit extra km if i can get good roads. The main issue is safety. On my last trip to south india i had a bad experience when i took an arterial road with locals [one guy banged into my stationary car and i had to pay up , wasting valuable time in police station ]

I am leaving on 2nd December. Any help regarding above laong with some inputs are most welcomed

Best Regards
On the Baroda-Ahmedabad expressway, exit onto the Sardar Patel Ring Road (HImmatnagar/Udaipur ext) as soon as you see the 5 km milestone towards Ahmedabad. This point is exactly 20 kms after crossing the Reliance petrol pump on your left on the eway. The SP Ring Road will take you past the Ramol & Ranasan toll gates. Immediately after the second (Ranasan) toll gate, take a right onto NH8 (there is a flyover under construction there) to resume. You will then bypass A'bad city totally. Do NOT miss this SP Ring Road exit, else you will get into the city.

Continue on NH76 at Chittorgarh till Kota. Enter Kota town & then take the Sawai Madhopur road (and not the Tonk road). That will take you on a lovely toll road to Sawai & then Ranthambhore from there.

Last edited by hvkumar : 26th November 2012 at 14:08.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 23:12   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Continue on NH76 at Chittorgarh till Kota. Enter Kota town & then take the Sawai Madhopur road (and not the Tonk road). That will take you on a lovely toll road to Sawai & then Ranthambhore from there.
Thank you

Do you mean this route

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

on the map there is kota bypass,by nh76 where we move to SH 33 to Navapura

Regards
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 23:46   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thank you

Do you mean this route

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

on the map there is kota bypass,by nh76 where we move to SH 33 to Navapura

Regards
Yes, that is the route.
The Kota Bypass marked in the map is the proposed one, under construction. The maps are wrong, there is no bridge across the River Chambal, so the so-called bypass is not operational.
You have to go through the KOta town, but getting from NH79 (coming from Chittorgarh) to the Sawai Road is not difficult, you skirt the north side of the city.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 00:10   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, that is the route.
The Kota Bypass marked in the map is the proposed one, under construction. The maps are wrong, there is no bridge across the River Chambal, so the so-called bypass is not operational.
You have to go through the KOta town, but getting from NH79 (coming from Chittorgarh) to the Sawai Road is not difficult, you skirt the north side of the city.
Thanks, so as shown in he map from nh76 i move to sh33 to navapura which will take me from north outskirts of kota

1>Just for knowledge what is problem with Tonk and Bundi routes.

2>Also if i have to reach Madhopur by say 2 at noon what time should I leave udaipur. I am located at Ras leela tents on lake pichola

Regards
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 08:41   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thanks, so as shown in he map from nh76 i move to sh33 to navapura which will take me from north outskirts of kota

1>Just for knowledge what is problem with Tonk and Bundi routes.

2>Also if i have to reach Madhopur by say 2 at noon what time should I leave udaipur. I am located at Ras leela tents on lake pichola

Regards
As you are entering Kota city, simply follow the trucks & the signboards for Jaipur till you reach NH12. A few metres ahead on NH12 towards Jaipur and you will see the right turn for Sawai Madhopur. Here is the G Maps illustartion for teh route:
http://goo.gl/maps/CS0op

NH12 from Kota to Tonk is being widened, not in good condition.
TOnk to Sawai Madhopur is in a bad shape.
Bundi-Tonk road - nothing is know about its condition, but knowing how RJ interior roads are, I would not take any chnaces.

But tell me, why would anyone want to leave a fantastic 4-laned road to KOta (by turning off halfway for Bundi), and not go on a superb toll road from Kota to Sawai Madhopur - and instead try to fly like a crow just because there are some minor roads marked in the map? I would not do so

If you leave by Udaipur by 5 am, you should comfortably reach Sawai in under 6 hours.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 09:18   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

As you are entering Kota city, simply follow the trucks & the signboards for Jaipur till you reach NH12. A few metres ahead on NH12 towards Jaipur and you will see the right turn for Sawai Madhopur. Here is the G Maps illustartion for teh route:
http://goo.gl/maps/CS0op

NH12 from Kota to Tonk is being widened, not in good condition.
TOnk to Sawai Madhopur is in a bad shape.
Bundi-Tonk road - nothing is know about its condition, but knowing how RJ interior roads are, I would not take any chnaces.

But tell me, why would anyone want to leave a fantastic 4-laned road to KOta (by turning off halfway for Bundi), and not go on a superb toll road from Kota to Sawai Madhopur - and instead try to fly like a crow just because there are some minor roads marked in the map? I would not do so

If you leave by Udaipur by 5 am, you should comfortably reach Sawai in under 6 hours.
Thank you, that answers my questions. I was just asking for alternate routes, in case i get stuck somewhere. Also since i am a hobbyist phoographer, i had plans to visit bundi ( if time permited) so just wanted to keep that in my knowledge base

You help s so much appreciated. Thank you

Any other tips you want to share regarding food and photo opportunities.
I want to try authentic rajasthani food like laal mans etc so which place i should go ( udaipur)
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 11:57   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thank you, that answers my questions. I was just asking for alternate routes, in case i get stuck somewhere. Also since i am a hobbyist phoographer, i had plans to visit bundi ( if time permited) so just wanted to keep that in my knowledge base

You help s so much appreciated. Thank you

Any other tips you want to share regarding food and photo opportunities.
I want to try authentic rajasthani food like laal mans etc so which place i should go ( udaipur)
Yes, Bundi is a lovely place to go.
The road from NH76-Bundi-Kota was in decent condition some months ago, no idea how it is now. But absolutely no idea about Bundi-Tonk road, may be a better idea to go via Kota to Sawai from Bundi.

Laal Maas - no idea! Let me find out.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 13:01   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Laal Maas - no idea! Let me find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
I want to try authentic rajasthani food like laal mans etc so which place i should go ( udaipur)
Serves a fiery Laal Maans http://www.lalbagh.in/ and highly reccomended.

Another place is Ambrai http://www.amethaveliudaipur.com/restaurant.html
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:53   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hello


I had one more query. Regarding my drive down from mumbai to ahmedabad some friends suggest that at crossing of narmada river there is likely to be traffc jam. Hence they suggest to take some golden bridge cross baruch railway station and rejoin nh8

Can i know your inputs

I am planning to leave mumbai Sunday morning at 4 am
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:21   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello


I had one more query. Regarding my drive down from mumbai to ahmedabad some friends suggest that at crossing of narmada river there is likely to be traffc jam. Hence they suggest to take some golden bridge cross baruch railway station and rejoin nh8

Can i know your inputs

I am planning to leave mumbai Sunday morning at 4 am
Always we suggest all to go through Ankleshwar & Bharuch town by crossing the River Narmada on the old Golden Bridge instead of the NH8 bypass. This has been repeated several times in this Forum, and continues to apply.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 17:42   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Hello


Thank you for the ankleshwar tip it really helped me. I have a query. On return back i did not see any bypass to get on to golden bridge road, how can i take that bypass on return leg. Someone told me its not required because on return there is a separate bridge for small cars and one as to keep left, but i saw a line of trucks when i was passing by so please help

Second query is for ahmedabad baroda expressway, the query is same as above. On going from ahmedabad to udaipur, i was advised to take gandhinagar exit when 5 km ahmedabad signage shows than take a u turn to sp ring road and a right after ranson toll booth

Now if i take the same route back from where can i get to ahmedabad expressway as the gandhinagar exit is one way

Your comments appreciated
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 20:32   #43
BHPian
 
vaibhav_a_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi / Jaipur
Posts: 81
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thank you, that answers my questions. I was just asking for alternate routes, in case i get stuck somewhere. Also since i am a hobbyist photographer, i had plans to visit bundi ( if time permited) so just wanted to keep that in my knowledge base
In case you end up doing the alternate route and do not make it to bundi using the route HVK suggested, you'd pass by the superb temple of Kesoraipatan (aka Keshoraipatan). It's a 16th century temple and well worth a visit in its own right (sits by the river). The ideal position to photograph is to take a boat in the river around sundown time and turn around and click. It's right by the SH33 (Rajasthan Mega highway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
As you are entering Kota city, simply follow the trucks & the signboards for Jaipur till you reach NH12. A few metres ahead on NH12 towards Jaipur and you will see the right turn for Sawai Madhopur. Here is the G Maps illustartion for teh route:
http://goo.gl/maps/CS0op
This is a part of the Rajasthan Mega highway project. The specific section is Kota-Lalsot. Exact alignment and details here on their site: http://www.ridcor.in/lalsot-kota.html

I've used a different Mega highway to get from Kishangarh to Pachpadra (we were trying to go to Nakoda). The roads were inaugurated in 2010 and google maps does not show them. Phase 1 is operational and used only by truckers due to shorter distances involved. Due to low volume of traffic and superb road surface these roads are an absolute pleasure to drive but the downside is that they work better if you're transiting through the state and dont want to get to major tourist / population centers.
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 23:24   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thank you for the ankleshwar tip it really helped me. I have a query. On return back i did not see any bypass to get on to golden bridge road, how can i take that bypass on return leg. Someone told me its not required because on return there is a separate bridge for small cars and one as to keep left, but i saw a line of trucks when i was passing by so please help
Stick to the extreme left lane as soon as you see the flyover with the right turn into Bharuch town (there is a huge fertiliser plan there, you can't miss it). Yes, you can continue on the bypass, but keep to the extreme left lane - since trucks will be crowded on the right and middle lanes - and you may have to ride on the road shoulders. The old "closed" bridge is open to cars - don't be dissuaded by the mean-looking barrier they have put there -and you can take that for a fast crossing while the trucks have to take the single bridge that is open.

Quote:
Second query is for ahmedabad baroda expressway, the query is same as above. On going from ahmedabad to udaipur, i was advised to take gandhinagar exit when 5 km ahmedabad signage shows than take a u turn to sp ring road and a right after ranson toll booth

Now if i take the same route back from where can i get to ahmedabad expressway as the gandhinagar exit is one way

Your comments appreciated
Yes, take the same route back. When you are coming from Himmatnagar (NH8), the 4-laned road ends at Chiloda Circle. Continue straight towards Ahmedabad city. 14 ksm down the road is the Ranasan "Circle" - now a flyover is under construction - where you turn left onto SP Ring Road. NO confusion at all.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 07:10   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Thank you sir, so as you advise i do not need o o back through golden bridge, i must stay left as bharuch approaches get on to the flyover and stay left and take the bridge open only to the cars

For ahmedabad expressway i had a confusion. I understood that after the 4 lane road ends there is a narrow single road towards ranson circle or about 20 kms and ihave to come back to the ranson circle and take a left to go to ranson toll booth. From here how do i get to ahmedabad varoda expressway,

Or are you suggesting there is another road just before the circle, or probably i got ou wrong ompletely
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Rajasthan - A 4200km road trip through Rajasthan nix1976in Travelogues 85 15th November 2013 09:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks