Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th August 2011, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Jhansi - Orchha - Chanderi and back

Note from Mod : Please use capitalization when composing posts; it will greatly enhance the readability of your posts.

hi guys

after a very successful deep penetration strike into central india im planning a sequel

earlier last year i did mumbai maheshwar omkareshwar sanchi bhimbetka ujjain mandu mumbai

im planning mumbai shivpuri gwalior jhansi orcha mumbai

date of travel 3sep to 10sep

im interested in having the folloing info

1 route conditions

2 dhaba/facilities on the way

3 best way to complete the circuit

4 security issues and safety on this route

5 any issues when crossing over to up in jhansi?

regards'

praveen

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2011 at 15:58. Reason: Note from Mod : Please use capitalization when composing posts; it will greatly enhance the readability of your posts.
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mumbai - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Jhansi - Orchha - Chanderi and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post

1 route conditions
Hi Praveen,

a) First thing first. Please add Khajuraho to your schehdule since you are driving very close to it. Khajuraho is in one corner of MP and it will be difficult to club with any other circuit except this unless you are planning a seperate trip to Bandhavgarh.

b) Since Shivpuri comes first on your way, plan to stay night at Shivpuri in MTDC and visit Scindia monuments, Madhav Rao national park and depart to Gwalior after lunch which is two hours drive. There are lot of stay options in Gwalior. Best is Taj groups USHA KIRAN PAlACE. Outstanding value for money. Being off season talk to them and bargain. Even if you have to splurge a little, it is worth it and you wont regret it. You need minimum one day in Gwalior. If you are intereted, you can do a drive in ravines of chambal as well for which you need additional day.

c) On the way back visit Jahnsi fort (an hour) and Orcha and drive down to Khajuraho. No need to stay in Orcha. Two hours are sufficient to see the place. After Khajuraho retrace the road to Indore and then to Mumbai.

d) No worries on security. It is quite safe. We drove in heart of chambal at night and there were no issues.

e) No issues on crossing over at Jhansi as well.

We did this circuit five years back. We regret that we did not add Khajuraho to our circuit then. I was posted in Jhansi during my armed forces tenure. Do let me know if you need any help.

Sept is the best time to see these places and it will green everywhere.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th August 2011 at 09:26. Reason: Long post quite trimmed for benafit of mobile users.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 21:55   #3
BHPian

i have a schedule in mind

we are total 6 people having 2 senior citizens two of us will drive

vehicle is innova vx 8 seater

i can extend schedule by 2 days

1 mumbai to khalghat(mpstdc)

2 khalghat to shivpuri(mpstdc)

3 shivpuri (mpstdc)

4 shivpuri orchha khajuraho(mpstdc)

5 khajuraho(mpstdc)

6 khajuraho datia gwalior(mpstdc)

7 gwalior (mpstdc)

8 gwalior (mpstdc)

9 gwalior khalghat(mpstdc)

10 khalghat mumbai(mpsctdc)

9 khalghat mumbai

suggestions on time distribution and must see places included so i can plan my sightseeing accordingly.

regards

pravdr
Old 16th August 2011, 10:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have a schedule in mind

we are total 6 people having 2 senior citizens two of us will drive

vehicle is innova vx 8 seater

i can extend schedule by 2 days
pravdr
This is what i would recommend

Day 1 - Mumbai - Khalghat. Stay at Khalghat

Day 2 - Khalghat - Shivpuri. Stay at Shivpuri.

Day 3 - First half - Shivpuri sight seeing. Have late lunch. Then proceed to Gwalior. Reach Gwalior by evening. Stay in Gwalior. Stay in Usha Kiran Palace even if it is splurge and it will be memorable.

Day 4 - Gwalior sightseeing. Stay at Gwalior. Shopping for Chanderi sarees etc. Eat Ghevar in Gwalior. The best you can get!

Day 5 - Depart for Khajuraho. Visit Datia, Jhansi and Orcha on the way. Have lunch in Jhansi. Night stay at Khajuraho.

Day 6 - Khajuraho sight seeing. Night stay in Khajuraho.

Day 7 - Khajuraho to Pachmarhi. Night stay in Pachmarhi. Pachmarhi being tucked in one corner is always difficulut to combine and this is the best chance. This is the right tim to visit as it will be green everywhere.

Day 8 - Pachmarhi sight seeing. Night stay in Pachmarhi

Day 9 - Pachmarhi to Khalghat. Night Stay at Khalghat

Day 10 - Khalghat to Mumbai

All distances are within 450 Kms and can be comfortably done.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 10:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

@pravdr:

I have already replied to your query that you posted in another thread.

Dewas-Gwalior: is in bad condition, occasional jams and potholes.

Mumbai-Dewas: is 4-laned with a patch in MH border still being converted into 4-Lne.

Shivpuri-Khajuraho: Although, I did it a longtime ago but it was in horrible condition and it was in horrible condition at that time.

I am from Indore again to say and if you need any further help do tell me.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 00:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
This is what i would recommend

Day 1 - Mumbai - Khalghat. Stay at Khalghat

Day 2 - Khalghat - Shivpuri. Stay at Shivpuri.

Day 3 - First half - Shivpuri sight seeing. Have late lunch. Then proceed to Gwalior. Reach Gwalior by evening. Stay in Gwalior. Stay in Usha Kiran Palace even if it is splurge and it will be memorable.

Day 4 - Gwalior sightseeing. Stay at Gwalior. Shopping for Chanderi sarees etc. Eat Ghevar in Gwalior. The best you can get!

Day 5 - Depart for Khajuraho. Visit Datia, Jhansi and Orcha on the way. Have lunch in Jhansi. Night stay at Khajuraho.

Day 6 - Khajuraho sight seeing. Night stay in Khajuraho.

Day 7 - Khajuraho to Pachmarhi. Night stay in Pachmarhi. Pachmarhi being tucked in one corner is always difficulut to combine and this is the best chance. This is the right tim to visit as it will be green everywhere.

Day 8 - Pachmarhi sight seeing. Night stay in Pachmarhi

Day 9 - Pachmarhi to Khalghat. Night Stay at Khalghat

Day 10 - Khalghat to Mumbai

All distances are within 450 Kms and can be comfortably done.
have read some recent posts saying that heavy rains in the area have made the roads even worse.

also a bridge close to gwalior has been damaged so its a 200km detour.

are the reports correct i forgot which thread i read this post from a teambhpian it was a recent post.

regards

pravdr
Old 24th August 2013, 21:41   #7
BHPian

Hi if anyone has recently done Mumbai Gwalior, please update on best route, road conditions, safety issues if any. Intend to take a break at Indore. thanks
Drivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 15:15   #8

Hi Drivethru ,
Hope You did this circuit !...
I am planning Mumbai-Nashik-Dhule-Indore-Ujjain-Shivpuri-Gwalior between 6th to 14th April 2014. I would really like to know if anyone has currently done this circuit. I found many old posts upto 2010 , but all commented on some real bad road sections in this route.
Any inputs on stay/stop recommendations , food joints , fuel outlets and safety would be deeply appreciated. I do plan to put up a pic. travelogue after i do this .
While returning I am planning to take the following route
Gwalior-Agra-Jaipur-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Vadodara-Mumbai .

Also , I would be doing this in a Honda City S 2011 model. any concerns if this is not the right kind of car due to road conditions etc.

Many Thanks in advance for any inputs
Peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 16:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
Hi Drivethru ,
Hope You did this circuit !...
I am planning Mumbai-Nashik-Dhule-Indore-Ujjain-Shivpuri-Gwalior between 6th to 14th April 2014. I would really like to know if anyone has currently done this circuit. I found many old posts upto 2010 , but all commented on some real bad road sections in this route.
Any inputs on stay/stop recommendations , food joints , fuel outlets and safety would be deeply appreciated. I do plan to put up a pic.

Also , I would be doing this in a Honda City S 2011 model.
Hi ,

Between Mumbai-Nashik-Dhule-Indore-Ujjain
  • Excellent 4 lane roads (Mumbai to Indore - 10 hrs with Stops Volvo buses leave Indore at 8.30 pm and reach thane by 7.00/8.00 AM
  • Excellent food and fuel outlets throughtout at Nasik/ Just after Malegaon / Dhamnod
  • As for Indore , Since i live here, i believe it to be the FOOD CAPITAL of India, everything for every type of taste buds you can fathom.
  • Excellent Stay options enroute between every where.
  • In Indore you can stay from 200/- per night to 8K per night depending on your budgets.
As for the vehicle of your choice, no issues at all.

Road from Indore to Gwalior is a 2 lane road with heavy traffic and lots of Potholes. Avoid doing this in night. Also in the day it will be very hot. As i have not traveled recently i cant say more abt it.
bhavtol is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 23:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Note from Mod : Please use capitalization when composing posts; it will greatly enhance the readability of your posts.

hi guys

after a very successful deep penetration strike into central india im planning a sequel

earlier last year i did mumbai maheshwar omkareshwar sanchi bhimbetka ujjain mandu mumbai

im planning mumbai shivpuri gwalior jhansi orcha mumbai

date of travel 3sep to 10sep

1 route conditions

regards'

praveen
Hi

Mumbai to Dewas road is perfect four lane with nothing to worry except Indore Bypass where flyover work is in progress. I feel you can easily reach Mumbai to Indore same day if you do not wish to stay at Khalghat. Khalghat also has very good option to stay in the form of MTDC and a new resort names foodie it has good restaurant and stay facility as well just on the left side of highway after crossing MTDC resort. I have been doing this route from 2004 and road is beyond imagination now compared to what it used to be in 2004-05.

Next day you can easily cover from Indore to Gwalior or Khalghat to Gwalior. I did Surat-Dhule-Indore- Bhopal-Bioara-Guna-shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra in May 2012, road from bioara to bhopal then was in good condition though it was not comparable with Mumbai-indore but still it was good and no potholes then except some patch work at places. I also did Surat - Dhule-Indore - Bhopal in May 2013 and road was in perfect condition except flyover work at Indore bypass

I would suggest to do first Gwalior then come Back Gwalior - Khajuraho, Khajuraho - Indore and then Indore - Mumbai.

I feel only worst road you may encounter may be Orccha - Khajuraho.

Fauji - Nice to find an ex-fauji here, i also belong to that breed. Have passed many times through Varanasi - Rewa-Satna-Sagar-Bhopal but could never visit Khajuraho. Planning this to visit this year though.
rammishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 06:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
Hi

Mumbai to Dewas road is perfect four lane with nothing to worry .........
The original question was asked about 3 years ago. August 2011, to be precise . However, the info you have given is quite important for this route. I have done parts of this route. Beautiful, to say the least.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 14:23   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Jhansi - Orchha - Chanderi and back

Hi

Sorry for replying late. have been recently to Indore.

Road conditions from mumbai to indore are perfect.

Road from indore to ujjain from either sides is perfect.

Dont know dewas to shivpuri recently.

Road from edalabad jalgaon via burhanpur barwaha indore is not lane separated but in good condition.

On mumbai indore section there are some areas where blactop has degenerated due to rains leading to patchwork but still a speed of 80 can be maintained easily.

what i noticed though that a lot of outlets with facilities have cropped up all along especially dhamnod onwards.

Have info regarding gwalior jhansi orcha khajuraho route if required.

pravdr

Last edited by pravdr : 17th March 2014 at 14:30. Reason: Hi
Old 20th May 2016, 15:16   #13

Default Re: Mumbai - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Jhansi - Orchha - Chanderi and back

How is the road condition between Devas and Gwalior now?
Planning a trip from delhi to Shirdi and back.
gotcha797 is offline   Reply With Quote