Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2014, 14:23   #316
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,745
Thanked: 4,577 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Did a Bangalore-Gobi-Thalavadi-Bangalore trip.
Onward journey:
Part 1 : Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem(NH7)-NH47-Sankari-Turn off to SH 15 near Chithode-Gobi
NH7 + 47 combo has excellent roads all the way some diversions on Hosur-Krishnagiri section for bridges under construction.
From NH47, the turn off to SH15 and the down ramp back to NH47 on other side of the road is a muddy path and it's been like this for a long time, don't know why.
Just after the Chithode turn off you can see the ramp leading to a bridge across the NH47 - this is SH15 Erode-Ooty road.

Part 2: Gobi-Sathyamangalam(SH 15)-NH209-Bannari-Dimbam-Hasanur-turn off to Thalavadi
Again Excellent roads. Dimbam ghats is in great condition and driving on the the 27 hair pin bends is a great experience.

Return journey: Thalavadi-Merge with NH209-Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore
From Thalavadi to merge back to NH209 we did not take the same road as in onward journey and instead took the bus route taken by KSRTC buses. This 8Km stretch starts off well from Thalavadi but is rough in the last 3-4 Km. Once back on NH209, excellent roads all way

Some picture here:
Gobi-Sathy section
Name:  1GobiSathy.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  81.9 KB

Sathy-Bannari section
Name:  2SathyBannari.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  131.7 KB

Dimbam Ghats
Name:  3Dimbam ghat.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  75.1 KB

Dimbam-Hasanur section
Name:  4DimbamHasanur.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  90.8 KB
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 17:38   #317
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 310 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Hi folks!

Planning to travel from Gopalpur-On-Sea (Odisha) to Pathankot in last week of July. My tentative route is as under:-
Day 1 : Gopalpur - Puri-Bhubaneshwar.
Day 2 : Bhbaneshwar-Balasore-Jamshedpur-Ranchi.
Day 3 : Ranchi-Hazaribagh-Allahabad.
Day 4 : Allahabad-Mathura.
Day 5 : Mathura-Ambala-Pathankot.

Any modifications to routes would be welcome. How is the condition of road likely in this time of the year?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 15:46   #318
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

My yearly home trip from Pune to Jammu beacons and would appreciate if you guys could let me know the current road conditions from Mumbai to Ajmer via Chittorgarh and Ajmer to pathankot via Abohar.
Car being Driven - XUV 500 W6.
People on-board - Wife, my kid and myself.
rapidrahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 16:34   #319
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,173
Thanked: 4,097 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi folks!

Planning to travel from Gopalpur-On-Sea (Odisha) to Pathankot in last week of July. My tentative route is as under:-
Day 1 : Gopalpur - Puri-Bhubaneshwar.
Day 2 : Bhbaneshwar-Balasore-Jamshedpur-Ranchi.
Day 3 : Ranchi-Hazaribagh-Allahabad.
Day 4 : Allahabad-Mathura.
Day 5 : Mathura-Ambala-Pathankot.

Any modifications to routes would be welcome. How is the condition of road likely in this time of the year?
Avoid Balasore> Kharagpur> Bahragoda> Jamshedpur route if you are planning that way. Guiding you through the section I know:

Day 2: Bhubaneswar> Balasore> Baripada> Rairangpur> Jamshedpur> Ranchi.
You will see fantastic road surface with minimal traffic. However, Jamshedpur-Ranchi section, about 130 kms is strictly ok.

You will get fantastic road surface again from Ranchi (Rnc> Hazaribagh (NH-33)> Then to NH-2 Barhi> Sasaram...) to Allahabad.

Good luck!
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 02:22   #320
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 959
Thanked: 432 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi folks!

Planning to travel from Gopalpur-On-Sea (Odisha) to Pathankot in last week of July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Avoid Balasore> Kharagpur> Bahragoda> Jamshedpur route if you are planning that way. Guiding you through the section I know:

Day 2: Bhubaneswar> Balasore> Baripada> Rairangpur> Jamshedpur> Ranchi.
You will see fantastic road surface with minimal traffic. However, Jamshedpur-Ranchi section, about 130 kms is strictly ok.

You will get fantastic road surface again from Ranchi (Rnc> Hazaribagh (NH-33)> Then to NH-2 Barhi> Sasaram...) to Allahabad.

Good luck!
Saket,

You have taken ages to answer his query man. As quoted he must have undertaken the journey in the last week of July. Now an update about his road trip is pending from TaureanBull.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:05   #321
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,173
Thanked: 4,097 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Saket,

You have taken ages to answer his query man. As quoted he must have undertaken the journey in the last week of July. Now an update about his road trip is pending from TaureanBull.
Time for me to look for a table to go under it! Caught napping!

Anyway, would love to get an update from TaureanBull about the road he took and the feedback on the surface.

Thanks!
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 22:30   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 310 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Sorry guys because of work schedule had to take flight and transport the XUV. Sadly the trip report can not be generated and will have to wait.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 13:43   #323
BHPian
 
Bhargava_sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HOSUR
Posts: 311
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

I have shortlisted the below route options for my weekend trip to Guruvayoor, Sabarimala and Kanyakumari.

Day-1 : 19th Sep - Bangalore - Guruvayoor
(Distance - 500 Kms)
Start at 8AM from Bangalore and reach Guruvayoor approx by 5PM
Route - Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Wadakkancherrt-Guruvayoor.

(Iam avoiding Mysore-Gundlupet Road as I heard that road conditions are not good and most of stretch is single lane).

Start from Guruvayoor at 8PM and reach Erumeli by 2AM
Route - Guruvayoor - Chalakudy - Perumbavoor - Pala - Erumeli
(Distance - 190 Kms)
Rest at Erumeli (Rest/Fresh up/Breakfast - 4 to 5 Hours)

Day-2 : 20th Sep - Erumeli - Pamba (Distance - 50 Kms)
Start from Erumeli at 7AM and reach Pamba by 10AM)
Route - Erumeli-Nilakkal-Pampa.

Climbing Neelimala from Pamba- Sabari (Sannidhanam) - (3-4 Hours)
Darshan - Cannot predict the time to be taken (Still Approx 4-5 Hours)
De-Climding from Sabari-Pamba - (3-4 Hours)

Based on the time taken for the Darshan - either stay back at Sabari for the overnight else start to Pamba.

Back to Pamba by 10 PM. (Rest/Fresh up/Dinner - 2 to 3 Hours)
Start to Kanyakumari
Route- Pampa - Punalur – Shenkottai – Courtallam - Kanyakumari.
(Distance - 290 Kms).
(I am trying to avoid Trivandrum due to city traffic)

Try Reach Kanyakumari approx by 6AM to watch Sunrise J

Day-3 : @ Kanyakumari
Rest/Fresh up/Breakfast/Visits to Vivekananda Rock/Shopping.
Start to Bangalore from Kanyakumari by 6PM
Route - Kanyakumari - Tirunalveli - Kovilpatti - Madurai - Dindigul - Namakkal - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore.
(Distance - 670 Kms)
Reach Bangalore by 6AM.

1_ Iam trying to avoid conjusted Roads and traffic related areas.
2) Covering 1700 Kms in 3 days feel too tight, however Plans might change based on the Darshan timings.
3) My start and reach timings are approximate.

Queries to Tbhp -
1) How are the road conditions for the above routes.
2) Are there any other better routes suggested.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 13:57   #324
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,529
Thanked: 8,458 Times
Default Re: Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Queries to Tbhp -
1) How are the road conditions for the above routes.
2) Are there any other better routes suggested.
Its extremely optimistic to assume you arrive in Guruvayur at 5 and are done by 8 and drive back too.

Road wise: Better start much earlier. (4/5AM if possible.)
Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Wadakkancherry-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Guruvayur-Erumeli : Go via Tichur to Angamaly and take the MC road. Easily 4-5 hours.

Again saying extremely hectic plan.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 13:59   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 4,146 Times
Default Re: Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore,
Complete 4L stretch with excellent road condition, except couple of diversions around hosur and few speed breakers on flyovers near Avinashi (at least on 4-5 flyovers), you need to keep this in mind.

Kanyakumari - Tirunalveli - Kovilpatti - Madurai - Dindigul - Namakkal - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore.

Again its a complete 4L stretch with excellent roads. Madurai bypass will be little bumpy. Crossing salem during peak hours will be a pain.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 14:26   #326
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Start from Guruvayoor at 8PM and reach Erumeli by 2AM
Route - Guruvayoor - Chalakudy - Perumbavoor - Pala - Erumeli
(Distance - 190 Kms)
The route to Erumeli via Eratupetta was preferred over the one via Pala, when we did Sabarimala last month. Erattupetta route in slightly better shape than the one via Pala.

Perumbavur-Moovattupuzha-Thodupuzha- Erattupeta -Erumeli
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 15:03   #327
BHPian
 
Bhargava_sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HOSUR
Posts: 311
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its extremely optimistic to assume you arrive in Guruvayur at 5 and are done by 8 and drive back too.

Road wise: Better start much earlier. (4/5AM if possible.)
Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Wadakkancherry-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Guruvayur-Erumeli : Go via Tichur to Angamaly and take the MC road. Easily 4-5 hours.

Again saying extremely hectic plan.
@ ampere, yes It is a Hectic Plan, I might skip Kanyakumari in worse case.
Any reason to avoid Coimbatore and take the Pollachi-Alathur road to reach Guruvayoor ?

Last edited by Bhargava_sr : 17th September 2014 at 15:09.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 15:29   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
I have shortlisted the below route options for my weekend trip to Guruvayoor, Sabarimala and Kanyakumari.

Day-1 : 19th Sep - Bangalore - Guruvayoor
(Distance - 500 Kms)
Start at 8AM from Bangalore and reach Guruvayoor approx by 5PM
Route - Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Wadakkancherrt-Guruvayoor.

(Iam avoiding Mysore-Gundlupet Road as I heard that road conditions are not good and most of stretch is single lane).

Start from Guruvayoor at 8PM and reach Erumeli by 2AM
Route - Guruvayoor - Chalakudy - Perumbavoor - Pala - Erumeli
(Distance - 190 Kms)
Rest at Erumeli (Rest/Fresh up/Breakfast - 4 to 5 Hours)

Day-2 : 20th Sep - Erumeli - Pamba (Distance - 50 Kms)
Start from Erumeli at 7AM and reach Pamba by 10AM)
Route - Erumeli-Nilakkal-Pampa.

Climbing Neelimala from Pamba- Sabari (Sannidhanam) - (3-4 Hours)
Darshan - Cannot predict the time to be taken (Still Approx 4-5 Hours)
De-Climding from Sabari-Pamba - (3-4 Hours)

Based on the time taken for the Darshan - either stay back at Sabari for the overnight else start to Pamba.
Last week I did a Sabarimala trip very much similar to your plan. Started from Guruvayur at 8PM, reached Erumeli by 2AM. Planned to rest there till 5 but pushed on to Pampa after a 30 minutes halt. Lost way in between for some time and reached Pampa by 5AM. Slept for 2.5 hours and started climb by 8.30-9. Reached Sannidhanam by 11.30.
There was absolutely no rush and we could stand in front of sreekovil for 5 minutes. Had free onasadya at temple premises. Started climb down by 1.30. Again slept for 1.5 hours. Reached Pampa by 4.30 and left immediately for my hometown at Kunnamkulam. Reached home by 10 pm.
Of course this was very hectic and tiring since I was the only one driving. Climbing will take min 2.30 hours and declimbing 1.45 with no queue.
Better to take route via Erattupetta, Muvattupuzha- Ettumanur road is in absolute shambles.

Last edited by poloman : 17th September 2014 at 15:35.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 16:49   #329
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,529
Thanked: 8,458 Times
Default Re: Query on Road Conditions: Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Sabari-Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
@ ampere, yes It is a Hectic Plan, I might skip Kanyakumari in worse case.
Any reason to avoid Coimbatore and take the Pollachi-Alathur road to reach Guruvayoor ?
That section is crowded and bad. You will lost lot of time. Better to avoid it via Palladam/Pollachi.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 19:33   #330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

I need to drive from Goa to Hyderabad, and prefer to complete in a single stretch. I will prefer a 4 laned tolled road after sun down.

Will it be possible to do a Gadag-Hospet-Bellary-Gooty or Koppal-Gangavathi-Adoni-Kurnool ? How are these roads?
What would be best way to get to NH7 before sun down ?

Alternatively, how is Solapur-Hyderabad road?

thanks in advance.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio" lawyer In-Car Entertainment 46 22nd June 2014 18:39
The Mega Auto Expo 2014 Thread: General Discussion, Live Feed & Pics Irish The Indian Car Scene 266 17th February 2014 20:23
NCR MEGA Meet on 14th March 2008: "Dhoondte Rahe Jaaoge" extreme_torque The Team-BHP Meet Section 83 10th March 2009 22:28
Mumbai Speedrun MEGA National Meet @ Sea Lord! 17th Feb 2007 - List Updates on Pg 20 manson The Team-BHP Meet Section 430 26th February 2007 22:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks