Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th November 2014, 16:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is it a good option? or should I stay one full day in Cochin and then drive the next day to Mangalore (~450kms)?
Break it up. Its much better that way. You get to drive to drive a lesser distance per day, considering the density of traffic that will have to deal with.

Alternatively you can take 4-lane from Ernakulam all the way to Trichur and there on to to Kunnamkulam bypass (Guruvayur road) to Eddappal. That way you avoid a big section of the traffic congested NH17 to a large extent.

I mean the this : Route Link
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 16:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Break it up. Its much better that way. You get to drive to drive a lesser distance per day, considering the density of traffic that will have to deal with.

Alternatively you can take 4-lane from Ernakulam all the way to Trichur and there on to to Kunnamkulam bypass (Guruvayur road) to Eddappal. That way you avoid a big section of the traffic congested NH17 to a large extent.

I mean the this : Route Link
Ok, thanks, I'll break it up.
I wished to drive by the sea and hence thought of NH17. Is it is not worth it?
Appoximately how long might this 450kms take?
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 17:09   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Ok, thanks, I'll break it up.
I wished to drive by the sea and hence thought of NH17. Is it is not worth it?
Appoximately how long might this 450kms take?
NH17 in KL is just too congested for a start. And for a large part (well almost never) you will never get the feeling that you are on the highway! The town limits just dont end, while the next one begins!
Old 4th December 2014, 15:16   #34

Exclamation re: Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Planning Goa-Thrissur in a Polo early Jan-15, single driver + 3 ladies. Only day driving, driving into Kerala on a Sunday (hopefully less congestion). Need advice on (1) Road conditions along NH-17 (2) Recommendations for night stay between Mangalore-Kannur (3) Alternate routes for driving pleasure?
bencharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 19:23   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Planning to do Goa-Kochi in October. Last year I did Goa-Manipal and I was quite tired after that. I was my first long drive. Planning to divide the trip into 2 or 3 legs. No night driving (after 8 PM) and no early morning starts. Kindly suggest locations where I can break the journey (overnight stop) and also details of hotels where I can stay. Vehicle will be a Skoda Rapid or if I manage to find a decent car, a Laura TSI.
Also looking for suggestions for what to do in Kochi (other than visit Pete's which is the hidden agenda of the trip).
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 00:31   #36
BHPian

We are planning a trip to Goa from Cochin next week. The initial plan was to take the NH17 with a night halt at Mangalore. But got an information that around 100 km of road between Nileshwar and Mangalore is in pathetic condition.

Can anyone provide the road condition from mangalore till Goa. Is it worth braving the bad roads or should we change the route to go via bangalore. Is there any other better route. We would like to avoid hair pins through ghats roads as we are travelling with a one year old baby.

Thanks in advance,
Bijoy and Indu
Bijoy&Indu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 10:50   #37
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu View Post
We are planning a trip to Goa from Cochin next week. The initial plan was to take the NH17 with a night halt at Mangalore. But got an information that around 100 km of road between Nileshwar and Mangalore is in pathetic condition.
The coastal route around Kasargod/Nileshwar is quite bad and sees lot of slow moving traffic. I think you'd be better off driving from Kochi to Goa via Bangalore. Depending on where you're heading to in Goa, decide the route from Bangalore (route variants exist from before Hubli, Hubli bypass and Dharwad). Look up the Bangalore-Goa route thread where there are several recent posts on suggested routes and alternatives - look up recent ones by @paragsachania, it's almost like the Holy Grail for Goa

Some recent references:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3830725 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3838646 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

Last edited by NPV : 4th November 2015 at 10:54.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 10:59   #38
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Can anyone provide the road condition from mangalore till Goa. Is it worth braving the bad roads or should we change the route to go via bangalore. Is there any other better route. We would like to avoid hair pins through ghats roads as we are travelling with a one year old baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The coastal route around Kasargod/Nileshwar is quite bad and sees lot of slow moving traffic. I think you'd be better off driving from Kochi to Goa via Bangalore. Depending on where you're heading to in Goa, decide the route from Bangalore (route variants exist from before Hubli, Hubli bypass and Dharwad).
If you still want to take two lane roads:
Kochi-Coimbattore-Dimbam-Mysore-Hassan-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
Old 4th November 2015, 11:15   #39
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you still want to take two lane roads:
Kochi-Coimbattore-Dimbam-Mysore-Hassan-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
@OP wishes to minimize travel on ghat roads, plus Hassan-Arsikere is one of the worst roads, it's the moon surface right here on Earth
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 11:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Bijoy and Indu
If you are planning a night halt, better to go via Bangalore. You can halt at Tumkur. Kochi - Tumkur - 11 hours & Tumkur - Goa - 10 hours.

NH 17 will tire you out.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 23:22   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the replies BHPians.

We have decided to go via bangalore with a night halt at Nelamangala.

As per the suggested bangalore-goa links we are planning to take the below route to our destination - Miramar beach. Please correct if there is a better and faster route.

Nelamangala - Chitradurga - Hubli Dharwad Bypass - Take left before exiting the Bypass - Alnavar (SH 34) - Khanapur (SH 93) - SH 31 to Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - old Goa - Panjim - Miramar beach.
Bijoy&Indu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 16:16   #42
BHPian

Driving Kochi to Goa in December.

Decided to drive upto manipal and halt on the first day, and continue to Anjuna the next day.

Havent decided the return route. Preferably a different route.
The Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote