Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 11:02   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Dear Friends,

We have a marriage function to attend in Trivandrum on Sunday 18th September 2011, two families with kids decided to make this trip on the Xylo .

My friend has a house in Kollam which will be our transit accomodation and hence planning to leave on Friday evening targetting to reach Kollam by Sunday morning. Take rest and visit Varkala beach on Saturday eve. Attend the wedding on Sunday and start back by Sunday evening back to Bangalore directly from Trivandrum.

I am confident on the route till Madurai via Dindigul but seeing many routes from there on. Please help chosing a comfortable but shorter route.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jacs : 6th September 2011 at 11:14.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 11:48   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,599 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Two main options:

1. Via Madurai/Thenmala
2. Via Dindigul/Theni/Kanjirapalli/Chengannur.

Depends on the conditions and rains.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 11:51   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Banglore
Posts: 321
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Onward journey you can consider the following route.
From Maduari bypass, get into NH 208. Then follow Rajapalayam - Thenkasi - Punalur - Kottarakara - Kollam.

On return, you can consider Trivandrum - Nagarcoil - then the regular NH7 route.
kavu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:09   #4
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Return - Definitely TVM-NGL-MDU-SALEM-BGL would be my option.

Onwards, I have gone only upto TN border on both the routes ( Theni/Thenkasi), both are ( rather used to be ) in pretty much the same condition. You can take the shorter route I guess.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:18   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Thanks Ampere, kavu75 and sbkumar for the swift response.

To summarize I have the below routes to Kollam.

1) Bangalore -> Dindigul -> Madurai -> Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam = 671KMs

2) Bangalore -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kumily -> Mundakkayam -> Erumely -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam = 654KMs

Second route is very familiar for me till Mundakkayam and only bad stretch I could recollect is from Kumily till Valady. But not sure of the route from Mundakkayam till Kollam.

Also any latest update on the route from Madurai till Kollam?
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:25   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Thanks Ampere, kavu75 and sbkumar for the swift response.

To summarize I have the below routes to Kollam.

1) Bangalore -> Dindigul -> Madurai -> Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam = 671KMs

2) Bangalore -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kumily -> Mundakkayam -> Erumely -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam = 654KMs

Second route is very familiar for me till Mundakkayam and only bad stretch I could recollect is from Kumily till Valady. But not sure of the route from Mundakkayam till Kollam.

Also any latest update on the route from Madurai till Kollam?
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 19:44   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Thanks Ampere, kavu75 and sbkumar for the swift response.

To summarize I have the below routes to Kollam.

1) Bangalore -> Dindigul -> Madurai -> Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam = 671KMs

2) Bangalore -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kumily -> Mundakkayam -> Erumely -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam = 654KMs

Second route is very familiar for me till Mundakkayam and only bad stretch I could recollect is from Kumily till Valady. But not sure of the route from Mundakkayam till Kollam.

Also any latest update on the route from Madurai till Kollam?
The last time I travelled on the Theni-Kottayam highway was prior to the current monsoons, so how much of this holds good now - nevertheless the road conditions were quite good then except for the stretch between Lower camp and Vandiperiyar. (i.e about 10 kms on either side of Kumily)

You need to deviate from the NH at Vazhoor (Pulickalkavala) and go on the road towards Changanacherry (The left fork at that junction). It's much shorter, and the road is in good condition as well.

MC Road between Changanacherry and Chengannur is not in great shape, but after than it's in excellent condition till Kottarakkara. Haven't travelled the Kottarakkara Kollam stretch, so not sure how good it is.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 20:09   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,599 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
MC Road between Changanacherry and Chengannur is not in great shape, but after than it's in excellent condition till Kottarakkara.
This is exactly what even I was doubting, but was not sure.
Jacs, looks like its worth taking the Thenmala route rather than Theni.

Thats because you cover larger part of the distance in TN, where roads may be better
and not effected by rains.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 11:58   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The last time I travelled on the Theni-Kottayam highway was prior to the current monsoons, so how much of this holds good now - nevertheless the road conditions were quite good then except for the stretch between Lower camp and Vandiperiyar. (i.e about 10 kms on either side of Kumily)

You need to deviate from the NH at Vazhoor (Pulickalkavala) and go on the road towards Changanacherry (The left fork at that junction). It's much shorter, and the road is in good condition as well.

MC Road between Changanacherry and Chengannur is not in great shape, but after than it's in excellent condition till Kottarakkara. Haven't travelled the Kottarakkara Kollam stretch, so not sure how good it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is exactly what even I was doubting, but was not sure.
Jacs, looks like its worth taking the Thenmala route rather than Theni.

Thats because you cover larger part of the distance in TN, where roads may be better
and not effected by rains.
We have decided to take tenmala route to reach Kollam, its more interesting to try new routes . Do keep me posted incase you get any updates on road condition. Thanks a lot.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 13:30   #10
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Route Help : Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The last time I travelled on the Theni-Kottayam highway was prior to the current monsoons, so how much of this holds good now - nevertheless the road conditions were quite good then except for the stretch between Lower camp and Vandiperiyar. (i.e about 10 kms on either side of Kumily)

You need to deviate from the NH at Vazhoor (Pulickalkavala) and go on the road towards Changanacherry (The left fork at that junction). It's much shorter, and the road is in good condition as well.

MC Road between Changanacherry and Chengannur is not in great shape, but after than it's in excellent condition till Kottarakkara. Haven't travelled the Kottarakkara Kollam stretch, so not sure how good it is.
A better option is to deviate for Erumely from Mundakkayam, on to Placherry (where in the road meets Punalur Moovattupuzha Highway SH8). Take a left here , which will take you to Ranni. Continue straight for pathanamthitta, where in you can either head for Punalur on to Kollam or drive to Adoor, kottarakkara on to Kollam
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:00   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Hi All,
We reached back safe, updates from my side.


Onward Journey : Bangalore -> Salem -> Madurai -> Tenkasi -> Tenmala -> Kottarakkara -> Kollam
Total Distance : 690KMs
Travel Time : 12.5 hours (including 1.5 hour break all put together)
Maximum Speed : 120KMPH

Started around 9:30PM on Friday, covered first 400KMs (till NH7 exit after Madurai) by 3PM with few bio & fuel breaks. NH7 is just awesome all 4 lane except for a very small stretch were work is going. Exit from NH7 is little tricky. After you find directions to Madurai town, proceed staright for about 10-15KMs until you find a direction to service road for Rajapalayam. This service road will take you to NH208 which is being over bridged across by NH7. Take a right under the NH7 over bridge (Kollam is also mentioned in the board). Road is just awesome though 2 lane with very sparse traffic. Reached hairpin after Tenkasi by morning 6AM. There are few turns but not at all confusing. Roads after Thenmala was not so good, but very much drivable. However, last 70KM strch inside Kerala was time taking and took atleast 3 hours with lot of traffic. Reached Kollam by 9:30AM after breakfast.


Return Journey : Trivandrum -> Marthandam -> Nagarcoil -> Madurai -> salem -> Bangalore
Total Distance : 730KMs
Travel Time : 13.5 hours (including 2.5 hour break all put together)
Maximum Speed : 120KMPH

Started around 4PM, heavy traffic in Kanyakumari road and hence reached Nagarcoil around 7:30PM only including a tea and bio break. It is slightly confusing until you hit NH7 but GPS helped. Next 400KMs approx till Salem was a breeze, averaged 80KMPH. Had dinner before Madurai and reached Salem by 2AM. From Salem, traffic was there and drive was not so fast like on Madurai route. Took a power nap for 40Mins after Dharmapuri and resumed. Reached home by 5:30AM.
jacs is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 20:11   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,599 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Started around 4PM, heavy traffic in Kanyakumari road and hence reached Nagarcoil around 7:30PM only including a tea and bio break. It is slightly confusing until you hit NH7 but GPS helped. Next 400KMs approx till Salem was a breeze, averaged 80KMPH. Had dinner before Madurai and reached Salem by 2AM. From Salem, traffic was there and drive was not so fast like on Madurai route. Took a power nap for 40Mins after Dharmapuri and resumed. Reached home by 5:30AM.
Jacs, where did you have dinner ? While on a day drive I found nothing much between Madurai and Tirunelveli,
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 09:41   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Jacs, where did you have dinner ? While on a day drive I found nothing much between Madurai and Tirunelveli,

There is a newly opened Capsi Family Restaurant between Madurai and Tirunelveli. I had lunch there on Aug 15th on my way from Trivandrum to Bangalore. It is around 88 KMs from Kavalkinar on the RHS while coming from Trivandrum. The place is decent with good rest rooms. Meal for 3 costed Rs 418.
pramodpk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 12:09   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Jacs, where did you have dinner ? While on a day drive I found nothing much between Madurai and Tirunelveli,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
There is a newly opened Capsi Family Restaurant between Madurai and Tirunelveli. I had lunch there on Aug 15th on my way from Trivandrum to Bangalore. It is around 88 KMs from Kavalkinar on the RHS while coming from Trivandrum. The place is decent with good rest rooms. Meal for 3 costed Rs 418.
+1 to what pramodpk recommended. Capsi isprobably the most decent place seen in this route but we couldn't get in there being on opposite side and no U turns nearby. If you are driving towards nagarcoil, its the best option.

We had in Sree Krishna (not great but simple tasty veg) which is after Virudhanagar while driving to Salem from Nagarcoil. They dont have a well light hoarding or anything, bit difficult to notice if you are driving fast. Also found 2-3 other restaurants after that which looked ok.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 13:26   #15
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
+1 to what pramodpk recommended. Capsi isprobably the most decent place seen in this route but we couldn't get in there being on opposite side and no U turns nearby. If you are driving towards nagarcoil, its the best option.

We had in Sree Krishna (not great but simple tasty veg) which is after Virudhanagar while driving to Salem from Nagarcoil. They dont have a well light hoarding or anything, bit difficult to notice if you are driving fast. Also found 2-3 other restaurants after that which looked ok.
I remember a newly opened veg restaurant ( arya bhavan or some name like that) on the LHS while driving from TVM- Madurai. It was somewhere around sattur, on the highway. The place looked neat, I just had a coffee though. Not able to recollect the exact name and location . My drive was around 6 months back.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you Love Sea Food and Can drive to Quilon (Kollam) johnda Shifting gears 33 12th November 2013 12:55
Question on Bangalore to Ashtamudi (Kollam/ Quilon) via Bandipur srh Route / Travel Queries 18 30th August 2013 18:23
Of Rains & Lakes..A Trip to Aquaserene Resort at Kollam, Kerala Mysticeyes Travelogues 35 21st April 2009 17:10
Cochin-Allepy-Kollam-Courtrallam-Madurai route? lynx Route / Travel Queries 4 30th January 2009 18:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks