Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st November 2011, 13:49   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Here comes the Maha trip - Help needed to bypass Mumbai, Jaipur, Agra & Varanasi

Till Ahmedabad I crossed 4 police check posts, with ease. But just at the end of NE1, 2 constables stopped me asking for papers. All docs were in place so I showed them all, then they turned into my window glasses as why I am using black film, I told them it was under permisable limits as far as Karnataka state in concerned, but as per them Gujrat does not allow black films on windows. While on NE1 I saw one waganore crossing, why whould you remeber an Waganore? because it had a red beacon, written MLA Gujrat Assembly, with all glasses black, I remembered the number by chance. I told the cops that there are vehicles I have seen on road with black film and mentioned the car no, I said I am in Gujrat for only a day, then theyasked why my headlight does not have a yellow sticker on driver side? I told them I am not aware of such rules and atleast in Karnataka there is no such rule and I will be passing by so will not have any idea about this. After some argument they allowed me to go asking to put the yellow sticker by next day. Then at another check post same story continued, this time there was an inspector involved. He had an issue with the design of my DL!!! why my father's name is mentioned below my photo, why not with my name? and yellow sticker + black glass and then checked my car as much as was possible, then let me go with a stern warning!!! And then this whole thing continued for another 6 check points, I reached my friend's place in Satellite at 8:15pm!!! Point to notice - most of the roads in Old Ahmedabad don't have traffic lights. And after seeing the kind the traffic, Bangalore roads looked like heaven to me.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 14:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Here comes the Maha trip - Help needed to bypass Mumbai, Jaipur, Agra & Varanasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Till Ahmedabad I crossed 4 police check posts, with ease. But just at the end of NE1, 2 constables stopped me asking for papers. All docs were in place so I showed them all, then they turned into my window glasses as why I am using black film, I told them it was under permisable limits as far as Karnataka state in concerned, but as per them Gujrat does not allow black films on windows. While on NE1 I saw one waganore crossing, why whould you remeber an Waganore? because it had a red beacon, written MLA Gujrat Assembly, with all glasses black, I remembered the number by chance. I told the cops that there are vehicles I have seen on road with black film and mentioned the car no, I said I am in Gujrat for only a day, then theyasked why my headlight does not have a yellow sticker on driver side? I told them I am not aware of such rules and atleast in Karnataka there is no such rule and I will be passing by so will not have any idea about this. After some argument they allowed me to go asking to put the yellow sticker by next day. Then at another check post same story continued, this time there was an inspector involved. He had an issue with the design of my DL!!! why my father's name is mentioned below my photo, why not with my name? and yellow sticker + black glass and then checked my car as much as was possible, then let me go with a stern warning!!! And then this whole thing continued for another 6 check points, I reached my friend's place in Satellite at 8:15pm!!! Point to notice - most of the roads in Old Ahmedabad don't have traffic lights. And after seeing the kind the traffic, Bangalore roads looked like heaven to me.
Pity you had to go through such troubles. Recently did two trips to Delhi (via Ahmedabad) & Ahmedabad, both times I halted in the city at a friend's place. Wasn't troubled or stopped even once (MH number plate) even though I didn't have the yellow stickers. Also a friend of mine who regularly travels from Mumbai to Ahmd/Vadodara has never been stopped. Overall the practice is going down slowly - as seen in your case, they could very well have asked bribes.

Ahmedabad traffic is horrible at peak hours - but rest of the time, it's far better than any of the metros. I wonder if you stuck to the outer ring roads - how exactly did you reach Satellite from the expressway? Fastest and trouble free route is the Sardar Patel Ring road - you can then reach Satellite from SG highway, encircling the entire city, but bypassing most of the traffic.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st November 2011 at 14:13.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 15:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Pity you had to go through such troubles. Recently did two trips to Delhi (via Ahmedabad) & Ahmedabad, both times I halted in the city at a friend's place. Wasn't troubled or stopped even once (MH number plate) even though I didn't have the yellow stickers. Also a friend of mine who regularly travels from Mumbai to Ahmd/Vadodara has never been stopped. Overall the practice is going down slowly - as seen in your case, they could very well have asked bribes.

Ahmedabad traffic is horrible at peak hours - but rest of the time, it's far better than any of the metros. I wonder if you stuck to the outer ring roads - how exactly did you reach Satellite from the expressway? Fastest and trouble free route is the Sardar Patel Ring road - you can then reach Satellite from SG highway, encircling the entire city, but bypassing most of the traffic.
I did take Sardar Patel Ring Road but may be after few junctions inside the city. And about the troubles may be they give discounts to MH/RJ/MP vehicles, but mine was KA so caught at eyes quickly. But rest part of the journey was smooth, and there was a charming experience at Nasirabad near Ajmer, more on those in next posts.
Old 21st November 2011, 15:09   #19
BHPian

Probably you were at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Just one month back I stayed in Ahmedabad for a one night on my way to Rajasthan. I traveled through the old city to go to NH8.
No police stopped me.
I didnt had the yellow sticker and my car is MH registered with black tints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post

Last edited by athanedar : 21st November 2011 at 15:10.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 16:04   #20
BHPian

Day 3:-
Day 3 was for visiting friends and some places of interests in Ahmedabad. And the 1st thing to catch my eye was BRT, read many articles in Bangalore TOI about putting BRT on Outer Ring Road, but saw it 1st here in Ahmedabad, but did it solve any traffic hassle? But new part of the city was good. My plan was to finish everything and sleep for 3/4 hours, and hit the road at night. But things don't go as per plan as friends planned dinner at night and every thing got over by 9pm :(, I planned to start by 10:30pm. Delayed my start till mid-night, after 2 hrs of sleep, started the journey and look out for a link road which will lead to NH8, night traffic was ok with no rush at toll plazas, and few interested toll operators asking if I am comming from Kerala! I got Rs 10/- coins for the 1st time at a toll booth, crossed Himmat Nagar, entered Rajesthan, my plan was to reach Ajmer by 8am, upto Udaipur roads were great, though I took along a Mapmyindia device with me, never followed it other than in Mumbai. But suddenly at Udaipur City & NH8 crossing, highway seemed to vanish, GPS device stuck and it was 2:10am. trucks not stopping no one on the road I was helpless but followed the road, I crossed a Hospital( I think the name was Geetanjali Medical College), asked the gate keeper, road to Jaipur. He said follow the road for 5 KM, then you get NH79 to Chittirgarh and then to Ajmer-Delhi. After few Kms saw the board Chittorgarh 106km, I think this road is part of GQ, at 2:30am, on a chilling night, mine was the only car on either side of the road for some KMs, it was well laid 4 lane road, but the drive was boaring. I think I drove about 25 kms, then saw a car(SUV) about 1 km ahead of me, going with parking lights on, slowly(50-60kmph), more closer, it was a Ford endy, more closer IT WAS A KA 05xxxxxx, wow after almost driving 1700 kms, I saw a KA vehicle and I was happy!!! the moment I croossed, he picked speed and started blowing horn "?", I slowed down and down my window glass, the other driver says "Hi, from Bangalore? me too, from Indiranagar, actually I think I am lost, is this the road to Delhi?", I said "yes, and me from electronic city, and nice to see you." him " can I drive along you? till morning", me "sure, why not but I will not cross 100kmph, is that ok?", he agreed, and then we started. I had to take off from NH at Nasirabad, he styed on. In my next post the one of a life time experience.....
Old 21st November 2011, 18:08   #21
BHPian

Day 4:-

Reached Nasirabad at 5am, was feeling sleepy, and was looking for a dhaba to take a break. Found one, it was owned by a 78 yr old, he welcomed very warmly and rushed near my car to check the number plate. Then asked"Babu itni dur se akele aye ho?" then asked about my journey till now and further plans. took 1 hr break, 3 cup tea some cookies and got ready for rest of the distance, from Nasirabad, I took a small village road, which will lead to NH8 near Ajmer.

In next 5 mins, one old man with 2 young kids who were looking for a lift to Ajmer, almost stopped my car(the road was so narrow, I could not cross them), and he asked me " Saheb Hume Puskar tak chhor doge?", I told I will only go till Ajmer Station, they were ok with that. I initially I was reluctant to give them a lift, but they looked too innocent to harm, I took the risk and offered them lift till Ajmer station, it was 6:15am. The old man and his gradsons were heading to Puskar, the famous Mela was on, they would sell handicrafts and sing folk songs for earning. I told them they have to pay for the lift.... they were surprised and told they have nothing with them, as of now, I smiled, I told that I don't want money but they have to sing some songs till we reach Ajmer. And man they were the most happy lot in the world, they started with "Kesaria Balam... padharo mare desh", and some more folk songs for next 40 minutes. This was the best part of my entire journey, I enjoyed every second of it, they had the music instrument which looked like violin(I don't know the name), and man they sang their heart out and it was the best sun rise of many years. I reached Ajmer at 7:10am, they thanked me many times before getting off, so did I. I was not feeling sleepy any more, the music was mindblowing. But I was tired, reached my hotel and hit the bed in no time. To be continue...
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote