Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2011, 18:08   #1
BHPian
 
jas_mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kochin
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

The puja holidays are coming up and I think it is a good excuse to go on a trip, and this time we plan to connect with nature.

The route we intend to take is from
Ernakulam (Kochi) - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Ernakulam (Kochi)

Google maps gave me a route, and I tinkered with it to create another route to my satisfaction. I have attached the images for both the routes. Kindly be kind enough to give these poor sods a heads up on the routes planned.
Attached Thumbnails
Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi-routemap1.jpg  

Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi-routemap2.jpg  

jas_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th September 2011, 20:20   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: india
Posts: 67
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

why don't you try the Munnar route?!
i.1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 21:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,906
Thanked: 3,837 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
why don't you try the Munnar route?!
That is a good option. But need to note, we dont gain much distance.

The one via Munnar would be about 260-280, which is almost same as driving through Palani-Pollachi-Vadakacnsherry-Angamaly.
Only the 30km odd km near Trichur is pretty bad. Rest are all good roads.
While the road via Munnar would be lots of ghats.

The rest of the initial part of the drive (NH220), seems to be the only option for Gavi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 23:50   #4
BHPian
 
jas_mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kochin
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

The starting point and ending point is the same @ 'D'

For the road to kanjirapalli, on the way to Gavi, should we go via the trusted Kottayam -Kanjirapally route? Was thinking of taking the more scenic Thodupuzha route on the way to Gavi.

From Gavi to Kodai it is the tried and tested route via Theni. What is the condition of this road?

On a major part I am looking for advice on the route from Kodaikanal to Kochi. In the second route map, I have outlined a route from Kodaikanal to kochin via Valparai and the solayar dam. Is there any checkpost in this region or any place we would have to cross before night. Also would like to know the road condition if anyone has been through that road recently.
jas_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 01:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,906
Thanked: 3,837 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
On a major part I am looking for advice on the route from Kodaikanal to Kochi. In the second route map, I have outlined a route from Kodaikanal to kochin via Valparai and the solayar dam. Is there any checkpost in this region or any place we would have to cross before night. Also would like to know the road condition if anyone has been through that road recently.
I have no idea on the Chalakudy side about any check related restrictions.
But any way it would not be advisable to take that route at night. Its very narrow.

Also, its quite scenic it would be good to take that route during daytime.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 01:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore / Kot
Posts: 4,928
Thanked: 2,489 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
For the road to kanjirapalli, on the way to Gavi, should we go via the trusted Kottayam -Kanjirapally route? Was thinking of taking the more scenic Thodupuzha route on the way to Gavi.
To come to Kanjrappally, you dont have to go thru Kottayam; the road is bad as well. Instead you could come thru Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu - Koothattukulam [I guess] - Kozha - Pala - Kanjirappally. The entire stretch is SUPERB except 18 kms between Pala & Kanjirappally. From Kajirappally to Vandiperiyar, the roads are again average. Another option you have here to reach Kanjirappally is to go to Erattupetta from Pala. I am not sure of the road shape in this route, and this is slightly curvy too. Roads were good a couple of years back & lots of greenery too. If you take this route, you can visit Vagamon too if you want. And probably go to Gavi from Vagamon thru Kattappana route - not sure of the distance though.

When you choose this route via Pala, you will save a lot on distance too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
From Gavi to Kodai it is the tried and tested route via Theni. What is the condition of this road?
Have been long in this route too till Vathalakkundu. Last time again the roads were average with unexpected potholes at times. Not sure its clear now. Heard that Cumbum road is good though.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th September 2011 at 01:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 01:48   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,076
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
On a major part I am looking for advice on the route from Kodaikanal to Kochi. In the second route map, I have outlined a route from Kodaikanal to kochin via Valparai and the solayar dam. Is there any checkpost in this region or any place we would have to cross before night. Also would like to know the road condition if anyone has been through that road recently.
indeed as far as i know, there is a check-post that opens at 6 in the morning and closes at 6. night traffic is restricted due to elephant migration at night.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 08:04   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: india
Posts: 67
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

kodaikanal-valaparai route must be good. last week i did a trip to valparai from pollachi and the road was in excellent condition. but after valaparai i am not sure. one year back road condition was very bad in the jungle areas after valparai.
i.1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 10:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,319
Thanked: 2,985 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

To get to Gavi from Kochi, I would take the more scenic Idukki route till Kattapana, then come via Kuttikanam to Gavi. The Kanjirapalli route is also extremely scenic, and comes a close second. There are drive restrictions at night on the Idukki route.

There are also night drive restrictions on the Valparai-Athirapalli-Chalakudy route, the check posts are at Malakkiparai and Vazhachal. Road condition is terrible at the moment.

I heard that Vathalagundu-Kodai road is also not in good condition.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 10:30   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 2,900
Thanked: 1,112 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

The Valparai route will be closed after 6PM and the roads are pretty narrow. I had taken Cochin - Munnar - Kodaikanal and the return trip through Kodaikanal - Palani - Pollachi - Cochin.
Both are pretty good. The pollachi road was bad but when we went it had just finished re surfacing. This was in April.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 00:03   #11
BHPian
 
jas_mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kochin
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
why don't you try the Munnar route?!
Been through there several times, looking for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To come to Kanjrappally, you dont have to go thru Kottayam; the road is bad as well. Instead you could come thru Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu - Koothattukulam [I guess] - Kozha - Pala - Kanjirappally. The entire stretch is SUPERB except 18 kms between Pala & Kanjirappally.
Ok. So this route it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
kodaikanal-valaparai route must be good. last week i did a trip to valparai from pollachi and the road was in excellent condition. but after valaparai i am not sure. one year back road condition was very bad in the jungle areas after valparai.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the roads you said are good will still remain so. If you can tell the route you took from Pollachi to valparai it would be great. Is it the same as given on the second map? I think from kodai also the road would be nearly the same right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
To get to Gavi from Kochi, I would take the more scenic Idukki route till Kattapana, then come via Kuttikanam to Gavi. The Kanjirapalli route is also extremely scenic, and comes a close second. There are drive restrictions at night on the Idukki route.

There are also night drive restrictions on the Valparai-Athirapalli-Chalakudy route, the check posts are at Malakkiparai and Vazhachal. Road condition is terrible at the moment.

I heard that Vathalagundu-Kodai road is also not in good condition.
HVK sir, read a lot about your travels. Hats off to you sir. Will be travelling from Kochi post noon. So I guess that we will have to take the Kanjirapally route itself.

We also plan to cover the Valparai - sholayar-athirapally-chalakkudy route beginning in the morning. Planning of taking it slow and scenic.

Bad roads approaching Kodai and bad roads leaving valparai. Here we come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The Valparai route will be closed after 6PM and the roads are pretty narrow. I had taken Cochin - Munnar - Kodaikanal and the return trip through Kodaikanal - Palani - Pollachi - Cochin.
Both are pretty good. The pollachi road was bad but when we went it had just finished re surfacing. This was in April.
Planning to leave kodai a bit early and get to valparai before the gates close. A little greasing will open locked gates. Does that saying apply water here?
jas_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kochi-Goa-Hubli-Bangalore-Kochi MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 25 10th April 2014 08:14
Five Days - Kochi - Kalpeta - Kodaikanal - Valparai - Kochi NutsNBolts Travelogues 28 6th June 2010 16:56
Kochi-Kodaikanal-Thekkady: Suggestions Please NutsNBolts Route / Travel Queries 17 11th April 2010 22:50
Hello from Kochi arunsasi Introduce yourself 13 7th January 2010 23:58
Hello From Kochi kochicar Introduce yourself 19 11th October 2007 19:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks