Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st October 2011, 18:57   #1
BHPian

Default Tyavarekoppa lion safari and surroundings

We have about 3-3.5 days in hand next week and we are looking for something close to Bangalore around Shimoga/Belur. While searching on internet, we came across this lion/tiger safari near Shimoga.

If any of you has been there, please let us know more details. The information on internet is dated and not conclusive.

We are planning to take NH4 till Chitradurga and then deviation to NH13, from Bangalore. This route is only 30 kms or so longer than Tumkur-NH206. How is the road condition in NH13?

Also, let us know budget accommodation options and other areas nearby that can be covered within 3 days.

Thanks in advance.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:01   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Tyavarekoppa lion safari and surroundings

I have been close to Shimoga, but never heard of this Tiger Safari. If you get to do it, hope to see a travelogue from you soon.

About the route, the road Near Nh13 Chitradurga was horrible in Feb 2011. I am not sure about it now though. But I would suggest avoiding it.

Other options include Augumbe, Thirthahalli, Karwar, Jog Falls, Shimoga etc.

Link to my travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ll-2-days.html (Of Beaches, Waterfalls, Rivers, Forests - All in 2 days)

Link to the place to stay at Thirthahalli if you are interested. The hosts were really nice and the accommodation costs were reasonable with good rooms. Also there is a river close by for swimming. you can do a trek into the forest and also there is an elephant training center close by.
Kolavara Heritage Homestay: Thirthahalli, Shimoga, Koppa, Western now, holidays have a new meaning.

Hope this helps

Last edited by himavanth_m : 2nd October 2011 at 00:02.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tyavarekoppa lion safari and surroundings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
We have about 3-3.5 days in hand next week and we are looking for something close to Bangalore around Shimoga/Belur. While searching on internet, we came across this lion/tiger safari near Shimoga.

If any of you has been there, please let us know more details. The information on internet is dated and not conclusive.
I have been to the safari long back. It is a small place and houses a small zoo as well. From what I remember, it is not a 'must go' kind of place but it is decent enough. You will find on the Shimoga-Sagar road (road to Jog Falls)

Other options around Shimoga

Bhadra Dam, Lakkavalli (approx 30 kms)
Jog Falls - 100 kms
Honnemardu, near Sagar (approx 80 kms) - Place for watersports in the Sharavathi backwaters.
Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary (approx 30 kms)
Agumbe (approx 95 kms) - Supposed to get the second highest rainfall in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
We are planning to take NH4 till Chitradurga and then deviation to NH13, from Bangalore. This route is only 30 kms or so longer than Tumkur-NH206. How is the road condition in NH13?
I have heard that this road is good. Apparently, most people who travel from Shimoga to Bangalore use this route now. You can PM sushrutha for more recent updates on this route.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote