Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 16:23   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,883 Times
Default

Yes, it is
Follow this route
1. Delhi Moradabad
Leaving early(4.30am) means you can do this in 2.5 hours, so by 7:30 you are in Moradabad
2. Cross Moroadabad on the bypass, and right after the second toll gate take a U turn. corbett/Ramnagar boards will tell you of this
3. On that road, go towards Corbett for a few kms till you see a road going to Kaladunghi via Bazpur
4. After Kaladunghi take the hill road to Nainital
Moradabad to Nainital can be covered in 2 hours flat(without pushing hard) because the road is in excellent condition and after Bazpur its just pure bliss.
Even the hill road from Kaladunghi to Nainital is very wide and well paved in most parts.
Uttarkhand roads are on a roll nowadays
This way you will be in Nainital before 10am and you can enjoy a really nice brunch at Empire by the lake side.

If possible book through kmvn website in advance to beat the holiday rush.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:26   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 512 Times
Default 3-4 days vacation trip around delhi

I am planning for a three to four days trip some where around Delhi and some of my criteria for the trip are:

1. Some cool place, do not want to sweat, so Hills it is.
2. Comfortable drive, no mad rush and all time drive kind
3. Not remote as I will be traveling with my 1.5 yr daughter for the first time.

Its a leisure trip with more relax and lazy attitude. I will be doing a self drive on my SX4.

Places that are coming in mind are:

1. Chail+Shimla+Kufri (My Favorite, with lodging in Chail Place)

2. Narkanda

3. Nainital

4. Nainital+Ranikhet

5. Lansdown

6. Mussorie

Please suggest some places, Hotels, route etc.......
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:29   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Kasauli & Simla (I know you love the Mall) - stay at the Ros Common in Kasauli.

Nice laid back trip, no rushing around.

In fact, if you don't want to stay at one place for more than a day, Narkhanda-Simla-Kasauli
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:57   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Another good option is chail-shimla, chail palace is no doubt a nice place to stay till you are into palace only. Do not opt for outhouses.

Cheers

OT: I am starving for a vacation trip too :(
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 18:13   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default

Try Kikar Resorts. Its a nice place.
Heard a lot about it
near chandigarh somewhere.

Kikar Lodge - a weekend getaway from delhi.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 18:30   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,751
Thanked: 1,490 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Try Kikar Resorts. Its a nice place.
Heard a lot about it
near chandigarh somewhere.

Kikar Lodge - a weekend getaway from delhi.
its a little offset from anandpur sahib and its in plains so not a valid option i guess.

As of now with 3-4 days in hand I would suggest
stay in chail on day 1
day 2 you can drive up and down from narkanda.
day 3 you can either drive back to delhi or explore Kufri/shimla if you have 4th day with you.

In uttaranchal I would say Mussorie-Dhanaulti or nainital
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 18:41   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,066
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

RK, of the nearby places you can also consider Mukteshwar (KMVN + Veterinary Reaseach Institute rest house + some private resorts) and Renukaji (HPTDC & veggie food only).

Mussoorie has a nice place about 5 or 6 kms away, called Cloud End. Nice privately run place.

Or you could try Padmini Niwas, a true heritage property, with character. They also have a private parking accessible from the main road before you enter Mussoorie from the Library end. There is a second parking area from the driveway right at the turnoff for Camel's Back road on the Mall. This place is Gujju run, so only veggie food from their kitchen, but they'll allow non-veg from outside in their dining room
.
Chaukori is also a possibility, though there is no town there. Only KMVN.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 19:15   #23
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

If you want a really relaxed holiday try Binsar. Stay at the Khali Mountain Resort there. It a full days drive there from Delhi but totally worth it. The place is lovely and quite and the resort is very well located inside a reserved forest on the edge of the mountain. You have some stunning views from there.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 20:06   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,066
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
If you want a really relaxed holiday try Binsar.
Do they have electricity round the clock?
Remember there's an infant travelling as well.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 21:45   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 512 Times
Default

Thanks all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Kasauli & Simla (I know you love the Mall) - stay at the Ros Common in Kasauli.

Nice laid back trip, no rushing around.

In fact, if you don't want to stay at one place for more than a day, Narkhanda-Simla-Kasauli
Shimla mall is all time hit for me. But really do not want to take on the mad CH, DL and HR rush during weekends.

And as I said no drive drive, I don't mind sitting in one hotel and doing short drives every day and coming back to same base

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Another good option is chail-shimla, chail palace is no doubt a nice place to stay till you are into palace only. Do not opt for outhouses.
Yes, that is top in my list. Though I always stay in Chail Place, there is good options like hotel Monal and Lion Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Try Kikar Resorts. Its a nice place.
Heard a lot about it
near chandigarh somewhere.
Chandigarh will be hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
its a little offset from anandpur sahib and its in plains so not a valid option i guess.

As of now with 3-4 days in hand I would suggest
stay in chail on day 1
day 2 you can drive up and down from narkanda.
day 3 you can either drive back to delhi or explore Kufri/shimla if you have 4th day with you.
Yes that's option, tried and tested before
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
RK, of the nearby places you can also consider Mukteshwar (KMVN + Veterinary Reaseach Institute rest house + some private resorts) and Renukaji (HPTDC & veggie food only).
Mussoorie has a nice place about 5 or 6 kms away, called Cloud End. Nice privately run place.

Or you could try Padmini Niwas, a true heritage property, with character. They also have a private parking accessible from the main road before you enter Mussoorie from the Library end. There is a second parking area from the driveway right at the turnoff for Camel's Back road on the Mall. This place is Gujju run, so only veggie food from their kitchen, but they'll allow non-veg from outside in their dining room
.
Chaukori is also a possibility, though there is no town there. Only KMVN.
Mathur saab, can you give more details about Cloud End, is it inside Mall Road area or outside. I stayed in hotel Hakman once which a good parking space but inside mall road area. So no entry of cars after 5:30PM

Veg food is no problems. Also what is the location of Padmini Niwas, any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
If you want a really relaxed holiday try Binsar. Stay at the Khali Mountain Resort there. It a full days drive there from Delhi but totally worth it.
I have been to binsar, I think not good options if you have small kids, they have limited resources, unless you stay in Mahindra Resort.
And its too much drive for oneday. not that I have not driven that long, but this trip, I do not want to push
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Do they have electricity round the clock?
Remember there's an infant travelling as well.
Exactly same concern
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 22:03   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,066
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
can you give more details about Cloud End, is it inside Mall Road area or outside.
RK, my photos are old and not digitized.
Take a look here:
Cloud End: Welcome to CLOUD END FOREST RESORT

Padmini Nivas: Hotel Padmini-Nivas-Mussoorie

Cloud end is away (library end) from the Mall road; no problem taking your car anytime.

Padmini Nivas has two parkings: lower one which can be used anytime and an upper one, right at the hotel which can be accessed only when vehicles are allowed on the Mall.
The driveway to Padmini Nivas descends sharply from a little beyond Vasu cinema (library) from virtually the intersection of Camel's Back road and the Mall.
The lower parking is a sharp right turn from the main approach road to the library. There is a board there, but you'd have to look out for it.

Last edited by anupmathur : 4th September 2008 at 22:06.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 23:39   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,883 Times
Default

Go to Clifftop chamba near Dhanaulti. 7 hours drive, and very relaxing. Bang on top of a hill, and just 1.5 hours from Kempty falls.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 09:38   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 512 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go to Clifftop chamba near Dhanaulti. 7 hours drive, and very relaxing. Bang on top of a hill, and just 1.5 hours from Kempty falls.
Tanveer, is it the one, between Dhanaulti and Surkanda devi.

BTW here few old memories of Mussorie:

Best Weekend Getaways (delhi)-dscn0775.jpg

Best Weekend Getaways (delhi)-dscn0778.jpg

Best Weekend Getaways (delhi)-dscn0781.jpg
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 10:05   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,350
Thanked: 959 Times
Default

Tattapaani(Hot water springs) and Chindi are good options in Himachal for a 4 days trip.
The road between Sainj and Narkanda is absolutely sensational with wide jet black winding roads with pine trees on the sides. Can't forget the experience of ripping an Ikon on that stretch....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 10:27   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,066
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Tattapaani(Hot water springs) and Chindi are good options in Himachal for a 4 days trip.
Kpzen, Tattapani is too low in altitude and gets mighty hot. And there's really not much left there ever since HPTDC wound up.

Chindi is lovely but a trifle too secluded. No proper market etc.. nearby.
And the PWD rest house is so much better located than HPTDC's Mamleshwar!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekend Getaways from Hyderabad kiranpashtakar Route / Travel Queries 226 30th July 2016 08:49
Weekend Getaways from Pune vineet_k21 Route / Travel Queries 21 17th August 2015 06:43
Weekend Getaways in Kolkata (3-6hrs of travel) vrooooooom Route / Travel Queries 17 1st March 2014 20:50
Weekend Getaways from Mumbai cream Route / Travel Queries 62 8th December 2013 16:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks