Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 18:27   #1
BHPian
 
mathranik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ahmedabad, GJ
Posts: 159
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Hello!
I am going to Abu Road tomorrow morning from Surat, taking NH 8 and NE 1 until Ahmedabad. Now there are two routes from Ahmedabad to Abu Road - one of them going through Himmatnagar and the other through Mehsana and Palanpur.

Could someone here suggest me the best possible route, in terms of shortest time?

Thanks.
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 19:52   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Take the Mehsana-Palanpur road. Its a wide, sweeping road with beautiful surface (till the Rajasthan border ). AFAIK its slightly longer, but you'll make up time through sheer speed.

The first time I drove this road was in 2008, at night, in pouring rain (used stay in Ahmedabad then), and the condition of the road gave me confidence to keep pushing the car. Did another trip later, in the day and much better weather.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 20:56   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default Re: Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Hello!
I am going to Abu Road tomorrow morning from Surat, taking NH 8 and NE 1 until Ahmedabad. Now there are two routes from Ahmedabad to Abu Road - one of them going through Himmatnagar and the other through Mehsana and Palanpur.

Could someone here suggest me the best possible route, in terms of shortest time?

Thanks.
Had been to Mt Abu a year back from Ahmedabad. On the to journey, had opted for the route Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar - Idar - Khedambrahma - Ambaji - Abu road - Mt. Abu.

Return was Mt. Abu - Abu road - Palanpur - Sidhpur - Mehsana - Adalaj - Ahmedabad.

In terms of time the second route is far far quicker. Most of the time you'll have expressway quality 4+ lane roads. As for the former route, once you cross Himmatnagar, it's a 2 lane road all the way.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th October 2011 at 21:00.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 21:48   #4
BHPian
 
mathranik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ahmedabad, GJ
Posts: 159
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Had been to Mt Abu a year back from Ahmedabad. On the to journey, had opted for the route Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar - Idar - Khedambrahma - Ambaji - Abu road - Mt. Abu.

Return was Mt. Abu - Abu road - Palanpur - Sidhpur - Mehsana - Adalaj - Ahmedabad.

In terms of time the second route is far far quicker. Most of the time you'll have expressway quality 4+ lane roads. As for the former route, once you cross Himmatnagar, it's a 2 lane road all the way.
Thank you both of you.

Is the Himmatnagar route more scenic, by any chance?
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 22:46   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default Re: Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Thank you both of you.

Is the Himmatnagar route more scenic, by any chance?
Scenic - to an extent yes. The stretch between Khedambrahma & Abu Road goes through hills; that part is quite beautiful.
But that alone is not worth taking this route (IMO), unless visiting the Ambaji temple is of importance to you.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Palanpur mehsana is the quickest and the better of the two options
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Mt. Abu - Mumbai : Route Queries RX135 Route / Travel Queries 86 15th August 2017 18:28
Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs ramkya1 Travelogues 37 15th February 2016 20:11
Surat - Hospet - Coorg - Jog - Goa - Surat h@r$h@l Route / Travel Queries 7 21st September 2010 13:31
Ahmedabad-Mahesana-Palanpur-Abu Road akshayo Route / Travel Queries 0 22nd April 2009 09:45
Bomb found in Surat. Defused! Surat on High Alert!! F50 Shifting gears 23 24th August 2008 19:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks