Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 08:56   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: mysore
Posts: 101
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

hi all.
numerous road accidents inside forest involving speeding automobiles and wild animals between 6pm to 9 pm has made the govt to implement the rule of closing the gates earlier. gates will now be closed from 6pm instead of 9 pm . this was disclosed by forest minister today as govt has taken a serious view of the matter involving death of a baby elephant yesterday at 7 pm in bandipur when a lorry at high speed knocked down the elephant. there are reports of large sclae deaths of animals during evening hours as it is learnt that animals start crossing rodas by 6pm.
the rule will be implemented from 14th this month, the press release has said.
so travellers to kerala and ooty need to plan accordingly.
i tried to scan the news paper and upload it, but did not know how to .
nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,731
Thanked: 2,841 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

That is good news. I think it is the truck traffic that is mostly responsible for accidents involving animals. If traffic is stopped at 6pm, trucks which normally travel late in the evening/night will stay put.

They should do something about the traffic itself; with the amount of private and an exponential no. of trucks passing by, there are many more factors (pollution etc.) that harm the animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
i tried to scan the news paper and upload it, but did not know how to .
Once you've scanned the report, in the "new reply", go to "Manage attachments" and select the file. Then upload and once done, close the window.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:13   #3
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
hi all.
numerous road accidents inside forest involving speeding automobiles and wild animals between 6pm to 9 pm has made the govt to implement the rule of closing the gates earlier. gates will now be closed from 6pm instead of 9 pm . this was disclosed by forest minister today as govt has taken a serious view of the matter involving death of a baby elephant yesterday at 7 pm in bandipur when a lorry at high speed knocked down the elephant. there are reports of large sclae deaths of animals during evening hours as it is learnt that animals start crossing rodas by 6pm.
the rule will be implemented from 14th this month, the press release has said.
so travellers to kerala and ooty need to plan accordingly.
i tried to scan the news paper and upload it, but did not know how to .
Not sure about bandipur but for Nagarahole it was always 6pm, last time to enter from 4 entry points. And by 7:30pm you must exit.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:42   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Has the rule been implemented? That is bad news for those travelling to Ooty and Kerala.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:51   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: mysore
Posts: 101
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

mysore mitra - local paper says it will be effective in a few days
nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:52   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Very good move and the same time good communication for travelers going or crossing that area to make it before 6pm. Even when we were there we saw folks driving like crazy in the jungle roads with lot of honking and high speed overtaking both of which cause disturbance to animals and are dangerous. I guess the only thing it changes is to plan out your approach timing at the jungle entrance.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 8th October 2011 at 09:57.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:53   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That is good news. I think it is the truck traffic that is mostly responsible for accidents involving animals. If traffic is stopped at 6pm, trucks which normally travel late in the evening/night will stay put.

They should do something about the traffic itself; with the amount of private and an exponential no. of trucks passing by, there are many more factors (pollution etc.) that harm the animals.

.
Chances are that some unfortunate and unwary long distance car passengers will be stopped dead in their tracks while the truck wallahs will bribe their way through with a few phone calls from local corporators/politicians who own businesses that ply them. Chances are also good that any illegal felling of trees/timbre business will continue to ply merrily after dark with the connivance of forest personnel.

In principle it seems like a Good move though!

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 12:44   #8
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Has the rule been implemented? That is bad news for those travelling to Ooty and Kerala.
This rule was in place in Bandipur and only 5 KSRTC night service buses were allowd during nights.

Once during a team-bhp bangalore drive to Nagarahole, 5 cars including mine stayed beyond 7pm in side the forest road after seeing a tiger, and we were stopped by the Forest officer and had real tough time convicing him and getting out of the jungle.

Last edited by asdon : 8th October 2011 at 12:47.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 15:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That is good news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Very good move .
Might be. But guys, its now a real pain in the *** for guys in Bangalore who commute regularly through that route. Earlier a chore to be done in Bangalore would take just 1 day. Now, it will take 3 days. :(( . From Kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Has the rule been implemented?
Yes Sir, it seems like the rule has been implemented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Chances are that some unfortunate and unwary long distance car passengers will be stopped dead in their tracks while the truck wallahs will bribe their way through with a few phone calls from local corporators/politicians who own businesses that ply them.
Unlike others, the forest guys are damn strict, and I seldom see ANY one pass apart from the licensed buses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
This rule was in place in Bandipur and only 5 KSRTC night service buses were allowd during nights.
Gundelpet - Muthanga was closed only from 9PM to 6AM. Now its gonna be 6PM-6AM. It seems. :((
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 16:01   #10
BHPian
 
kousik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 36 Times
Default re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Actually 6-9 is more active time for wildlife and no wonder accidents rates were very high during these hours. The sight of a road-kill is heart wrenching and I guess it is a good move. Maybe an alternative arrangement would be is to take one single line convoy of 10/15 (a reasonable number of vehicles) at 10pm both side guarded and speed controlled by a forest department escort jeep.

Regarding the strictness of department, I am sure they are doing a good job. In one of our evening drive we spent a few extra minutes in Mudumalai side for an herd of elephants and they wouldn't let us in at 8:55. Really had to beg to the officer to be back to JLR for the night. And no other car were allowed to pass.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 14:24   #11
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 596
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Bandipur, Nagarhole forest gates to close at 6pm instead of 9 pm

Hi T-BHPians, I am planning a weekend trip to Nagarhole with my family. Can I get some pointers about the route from Bangalore, accommodation in Nagarhole and availability of activities like safari etc. My plan is to start early morning from Bangalore and reach Bangalore on sunday evening. Is it possible to cover all the attractions in this time-span.
ankan.m.blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area? gadadhar Street Experiences 74 4th June 2015 01:37
Driving from Mumbai to Bandipur & Nagarhole 911er Route / Travel Queries 59 25th October 2013 16:58
Bandipur, Nagarahole : Government /Forest Dept Safaris airguitar Route / Travel Queries 0 27th May 2011 20:04
Hyd-Bandipur-Madumalai-Nagarhole fazalaliadil Travelogues 64 20th July 2009 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks