Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st November 2012, 00:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Pune - Mysore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Option 3 should be ruled out.As it would be a very time consuming affair driving through Kerala traffic coupled with bad roads having to take detours to avoid the bad sections-all in all not worth it when you have other options.

My reccomendation would be option 1:Ooty-Mettupalayam-Annur-Avinashi-Palladam-Udumulpet-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-MC Road-Kottayam-Thiruvalla-Kozhencherry-Ranni.You should be able to do this in about 10-11hours with breaks.
I tried the route via Munnar last week and I think 10-11 hours till Ranni is very optimistic.

The Chinnar sanctuary roads are quite bad, and there are lot of bad patches in the Adimaly-Kothamangalam stretch also. Took me 3 hrs 10 minutes to cover the 87 kms from Udumalpettai to Munnar (inclusive of a 25 minute lunch break) and another 2 hrs 30 minutes to get from Munnar to Muvattupuzha (89 kms, no stops). Compare it with my timing of almost exactly 6 hours for NICE Road-NH209 junction to Udumalpettai (360 kms) - which included a 20 minute breakfast break and a 5 minute refuelling stop.

On return I took the Trichur-Shoranur-Palghat-Karumathampatti-Sathyamangalam route, and my timings for Angamaly to Karumathampatti was 4 hrs 5 minutes inclusive of a 30 minute breakfast break. Add another 45 minutes for Angamaly to Muvattupuzha and even if you take an extra 30 minutes for day-time traffic (instead of my early morning drive), the actual driving time for Muvattupuzha - Karumathampatti should be only around 5 hours through that route. My actual drive time for Karumathampatti-Muvattupuzha via Munnar was 6 hrs 30 minutes (after subtracting stoppages), so the Palghat route would certainly be faster in my opinion.

For Muvattupuzha to Ranni, I'd recommend the route via Koothattukulam-Uzhavoor-Palai-Ponkunnam-Manimala. Those roads are all in good shape (The only stretch out of the whole lot which I did not cover during my trip last week is the one from Manimala to Ranni, but that stretch is generally maintained pretty well especially during Sabarimala season)
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:10   #92
BHPian

First of all, this is my first post on Team-BHP, and I must say it feels REALLY good!

I just completed a Mysore-Pune drive. Here are the details. I hope it helps those planning to go on the same route.

Date: 16 Nov 2012
Car: Tata Nano LX
Route: Mysore-Bellur Cross-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Dharwad-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune
Occupants: 4 of us, with some luggage as well

We left from Mysore by 0330 hrs. We reached Nagamangala by 0445 hrs and Huliyar by 0630. We finally reached the NH4 at Hiriyur, by 0745 hrs. The roads here are very good. The only things to watch for are annoying unmarked speed-breakers, some of which are pretty huge!

We left Hiriyur at 0745 and reached Hotel Kamat at Ranebennur for breakfast by 1000 hrs. We took a nice long break of 45 minutes and left after a pretty sumptuous breakfast. We reached Hubli at 1215 and crossed the single carriageway stretch between Hubli-Dharwad in half an hour. Lunch break was mid-way between Belgaum and Kolhapur at 1430 hrs. We again took a long break of about an hour. We left after lunch by 1530 hrs and reached Kolhapur by 1630 hrs. We took another final break of 15 minutes at about 1815 hrs near Satara, and then continued all the way till Chinchwad in North Pune, where we pulled in by 2045 hrs. Nothing need be said about the NH4 which is in pristine condition. The traffic density increased noticeably as we entered Maharashtra.

Driving distance: 945 km
Driving Time (including all halts): 17 hrs 15 min
kaushik60 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
First of all, this is my first post on Team-BHP, and I must say it feels REALLY good!

I just completed a Mysore-Pune drive. Here are the details. I hope it helps those planning to go on the same route.

Date: 16 Nov 2012
Car: Tata Nano LX
Route: Mysore-Bellur Cross-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Dharwad-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune
Occupants: 4 of us, with some luggage as well

We left from Mysore by 0330 hrs. We reached Nagamangala by 0445 hrs and Huliyar by 0630. We finally reached the NH4 at Hiriyur, by 0745 hrs. The roads here are very good. The only things to watch for are annoying unmarked speed-breakers, some of which are pretty huge!

We left Hiriyur at 0745 and reached Hotel Kamat at Ranebennur for breakfast by 1000 hrs. We took a nice long break of 45 minutes and left after a pretty sumptuous breakfast. We reached Hubli at 1215 and crossed the single carriageway stretch between Hubli-Dharwad in half an hour. Lunch break was mid-way between Belgaum and Kolhapur at 1430 hrs. We again took a long break of about an hour. We left after lunch by 1530 hrs and reached Kolhapur by 1630 hrs. We took another final break of 15 minutes at about 1815 hrs near Satara, and then continued all the way till Chinchwad in North Pune, where we pulled in by 2045 hrs. Nothing need be said about the NH4 which is in pristine condition. The traffic density increased noticeably as we entered Maharashtra.

Thanks for your trip report and welcome to the forum.And needless to say excellent drive timings on the Nano.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:05   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
That is indeed great timing considering the fact that i take around 14 hours to reach Pune (Aundh) in my Swift.

I break four about an hour in Rannebenur (Kamat) and another half an hour at Kolhapur (McDonalds).
Gomzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:52   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks for your trip report and welcome to the forum.And needless to say excellent drive timings on the Nano.
Thanks! Hope to have a good time and learn a lot on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post
That is indeed great timing considering the fact that i take around 14 hours to reach Pune (Aundh) in my Swift.

I break four about an hour in Rannebenur (Kamat) and another half an hour at Kolhapur (McDonalds).
Thanks! It was good fun, and we dint have to stretch it too much to do this time. The car could maintain 100 kmph constantly pretty easily. Contrary to popular opinion, the Nano can handle these journeys with no issues. Especially since we had the windows rolled up and the music ON, even the engine noise wasn't very disturbing.
kaushik60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 12:38   #96
BHPian

I did a Pune - Calicut trip and back a couple of weeks back - its now becoming something like a half yearly affair for me..

I decided to try out the Coastal route via Mangalore while going to Calicut, just to try out the new route once. I have had read many threads warning of slow progress, but then I just wanted to try it out once.

So off we went, one Friday evening. Started at around 5 pm from Pune, and reached Belgaum at around 11. It was a painful exercise getting out of the city , and things didnt get any better till Satara-Karad as well. The tollgates were clogged, too much of two wheeler traffic, and quite a lot of diversions for the six-laning work.

Stopped at Sai International before Kolhapur for Dinner. Primarily for the reasonably good restrooms. Had a relaxed dinner, and pushed off to Belgaum where I had booked a room at Sankam Residency.

We reached Belgaum at around 11 or so, and checked into Sankam. I think they are doing a slow, staggered process of renovation, and we got a recently renovated room allocated, which was quite nice.

On Day 2 we started early - at around 5 am or so ( I wasnt keeping exact tabs on times, so I am giving only approx timings ). Pushed off towards Hubli. It was a breeze till Dharwar, and we got onto the Yellapur road on the Dharwar bye-pass.

Initially this road was somewhat narrow and with uneven surfaces. And we ran into heavy - really heavy - fog in this stretch . Fog in May! After some distance, we merged onto the Hubli-Ankola road, and from there on it was really good. Good surface, and a great drive all the way to Ankola. We did good speeds till Ankola, and passed through some very nice, green, forest sections, and eventually down a ghat section which was quite an easy one, with fairly wide roads with good surface.

From Ankola, we got on to NH17, and progressed towards Mangalore. We had our breakfast at Kumta. The drive was reasonably ok till about Kundapur. We spent around 45 min or so at the Maravanthe beach . It was around noon and blazing hot, but the Kids just had to go to the beach! Cant refuse when you are driving something like 10 meters away from the beach :-)

Kundapur to Mangalore was somewhat crowded, but there were occasional four-lane stretches ( I think they are going through a staggered process of four-laning here ).

Passed Mangalore at around 2 pm - a long flyover ensured that we didnt lose time crossing Mangalore. however things started getting worse once we entered Kerala.

Had lunch at Kasargod, and then we chose the shorter option via Kanjangad and Bekal. I am not sure if we actually saved any time ( may have taken more time ) , as the road was quite narrow till Kanjangad. From there till Calicut it was somewhat painful progress- Buses behind you all the time blaring their horns, making fairly risky overtaking maneouvers etc.

It was painfully slow progress through Kannur, Tellicherry and Mahe - no byepasses - and finally we touched Koyilandi.

We were forced onto the Balussery road at Koyilandi as there was some repair work on a flyover ahead . We had to go to Mavoor, so it was ok - we could find a shorter route Via Balussery. Finally reached Mavoor at 9 pm , dead tired.

I will think twice before taking this stretch again.

Back to the topic of this thread, which is the Pune-Mysore section, I chose the Mysore route while returning.

So on the way back, reached Mysore in the evening, and stayed there overnight. Started at 5 am from Mysore.

The route I took was the regular one: Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavapura-Melkote-Nelligere-KB Cross- Turvekere - C.N.Halli, Huliyar - Hiriyur ( I am not sure if I got the order right though ). Good roads all through, except for some small stretches. Many stretches appear to be reasonably tarred. Lot of speedbreakers though, many of them not marked well. So one has to be really alert.

I could maintain good speeds all the way till Kolhapur. breakfast at Chitradurga - stopped at around 8.45 or so. Lunchw was at Belgaum ( Sankam again ). It was a relaxed lunch, we took a good one hour, and left Belgaum at around 2.

Reached Viman Nagar at around 8. Again, lost a lot of time from Satara onwards - the traffic was slow and getting into the city was a pain.

So, to sum it up, the Hiriyur-Mysore stretch is in good shape. In spite of the slow progress due to six laning between Satara and Pune, you can still reach faster, compared to the coastal route. The coastal route was fun to drive till Kerala, after which it was a pain. A good option if one has to take that rooute, will be to plan to reach Mangalore by around 9 pm or so , as Mangalore-Calicut section will be easier to cover at night.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 12:58   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Initially this road was somewhat narrow and with uneven surfaces. And we ran into heavy - really heavy - fog in this stretch . Fog in May! After some distance, we merged onto the Hubli-Ankola road, and from there on it was really good. Good surface, and a great drive all the way to Ankola. We did good speeds till Ankola, and passed through some very nice, green, forest sections, and eventually down a ghat section which was quite an easy one, with fairly wide roads with good surface.
Great update there. Only point to note:

There is nothing like the main Hubli-Ankola road. The road which you exit to on the Hubli-Dharwad bypass itself is the main NH63. Just that there are many settlements around that region and hence the road gets clogged. Later on its a dream to drive as you mentioned.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 16:03   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great update there. Only point to note:

There is nothing like the main Hubli-Ankola road. The road which you exit to on the Hubli-Dharwad bypass itself is the main NH63. Just that there are many settlements around that region and hence the road gets clogged. Later on its a dream to drive as you mentioned.
I checked the map, and it seems there is one road from Dharwad ( a smaller road ) and another one from Hubli (63) that merge a few km before Kalghatgi. I was on the road from Dharwad, and I guess I was referring to the road from Hubli, which was of better quality and onto which we merged.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 16:16   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
I checked the map, and it seems there is one road from Dharwad ( a smaller road ) and another one from Hubli (63) that merge a few km before Kalghatgi. I was on the road from Dharwad, and I guess I was referring to the road from Hubli, which was of better quality and onto which we merged.
Since you mentioned you got off on Dharwad bypass I assumed you meant NH63. This one meets NH63 at Kalghatghi. Now that you mention, did the bypass have an exit for this road? Because I dont remember any and neither a sign gauge for this road.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 17:14   #100
BHPian

I think this is the exit I took...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dharwa...India&t=m&z=15
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 16:28   #101
BHPian

Folks... It has been great reading all your experiences on this and other Pune-Kerala threads.

I have to do a Kerala (Chalakudy) to Pune one-way trip in the next week. This is not a leisure trip and the intent is to reach Pune as fast as possible on good roads since I will have 2 pet dogs in the car. I will also be accompanied by a driver so that we can share the load.

I have been scraping info from the various threads that we have here and was hoping for some advice related to the route, food, fuel(diesel) and pet-friendly accommodation (if required).

1) Route: Was planning on Chalakudy -> Mysore -> Hiriyur -> Pune. Has someone been on this route recently? I am open to suggestions.

2) Absolutely no idea on where to halt as far as food goes. I just know that I want to push off from Chalakudy as early as possible (say by 4 a.m.)

3) The Octavia does give us a decent range so I might need to tank up just once on the route. Suggestions are welcome. Cost isn't a concern. Quality is.

4) I am juggling the thought of trying to do the trip in one-shot or plan for overnight accommodation on the way if there is a genuine pet-friendly place to halt on the way.

This will be kind of a one-off experience for me as it is the first time that I am taking the road without an intent of sight-seeing. It isn't an ideal situation to be in considering the fact that I will pass quite a few scenic places on the way, but I guess I have no choice.
prafulasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 17:55   #102
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher View Post
I have to do a Kerala (Chalakudy) to Pune one-way trip in the next week. This is not a leisure trip and the intent is to reach Pune as fast as possible on good roads since I will have 2 pet dogs in the car. I will also be accompanied by a driver so that we can share the load.

1) Route: Was planning on Chalakudy -> Mysore -> Hiriyur -> Pune. Has someone been on this route recently? I am open to suggestions.

2) Absolutely no idea on where to halt as far as food goes. I just know that I want to push off from Chalakudy as early as possible (say by 4 a.m.)

3) The Octavia does give us a decent range so I might need to tank up just once on the route. Suggestions are welcome. Cost isn't a concern. Quality is.

4) I am juggling the thought of trying to do the trip in one-shot or plan for overnight accommodation on the way if there is a genuine pet-friendly place to halt on the way.

This will be kind of a one-off experience for me as it is the first time that I am taking the road without an intent of sight-seeing. It isn't an ideal situation to be in considering the fact that I will pass quite a few scenic places on the way, but I guess I have no choice.
For this trip you can do either the coastal route via Mangalore or the route via Bangalore, definitely the latter will be faster given that roads are in good condition and NH7 is 4 laned and the parts of NH47 as well from Chalakudy to Salem are 4 laned. I would not suggest going via Mysore though.

So you can take either of these routes:
1. NH47 all the way from Chalakudy -> Palakkad (bypass) -> Walayar -> Coimbatore (bypass) -> Salem, get off NH47 and get onto NH7 towards Bangalore and go via -> Dharmapuri -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur -> Bangalore (bypass using NICE Road)

OR

2. NH47 from Chalakudy till Vadakkencherry, then turn off towards Pollachi route. Then Pollachi -> Palladam -> Kangeyam -> Perundurai. Excellent 2 laned roads till here. At Perundurai merge onto NH7 towards Bangalore via and go via -> Dharmapuri -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur -> Bangalore (bypass Bangalore using NICE Road, last part similar to #1)

Once you enter Karnataka after Hosur, go past (below) the elevated tollway (don't take it since it will take you into Bangalore City).
Take NICE Road and pay the toll to Tumkur Road (it's the last exit on NICE Road). Here you will merge onto NH4 Bangalore-Pune road where you turn towards Tumkur. Thanks to this you will almost completely bypass Bangalore city

Suggest you do route #1 since you are starting early, route is straight forward
and you will have more options for breaks and more facilities compared to #2.
With a 4am start, you can expect to be at Hosur around noon and you can probably break somewhere at Davanagere or Chitradurga. Or even continue driving since you will have the driver.

Lots of options for fuel stops in route #1, should not be a problem at all.

Last edited by NPV : 7th February 2014 at 18:00.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 18:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. NH47 all the way from Chalakudy -> Palakkad (bypass) -> Walayar -> Coimbatore (bypass) -> Salem, get off NH47 and get onto NH7 towards Bangalore and go via -> Dharmapuri -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur -> Bangalore (bypass using NICE Road)
Awesome! That is pretty detailed. Thanks a lot! It makes complete sense to use the Route#1 since it is straightforward. That is the one I think I will take.
prafulasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 18:58   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Mysore-Srirangapattana-Nagamangala-Bellur Cross-Hiriyur road is in Good condition. You may have a lot of speed-breakers but the good roads will make sure you will ignore them in the end.
Quote:
I will give options which are available after Bellur cross & all of these mostly on the highway only:

-Mayura and CCD at Bellur Cross
-Naveen Regency at Chitradurga (mixed reviews)
-Kamat at the beginning of Ranebennur Bypass
-Ghar Dhaba at the end of Ranebennur bypass
-Kamat on the right hand side (~16 kms before Hubli)
-CCD & Hotel Garuda (Avoid this) - Shiggaon
-Sankam near Belgaum Bypass
-Amar-Only Veg at the end of Tawandi Ghats (Before Nippani)
-Mc Donalds on Kolhapur Bypass
-Sai International 30 kms after Kolhapur bypass
-Vitthal Kamat before Karad
-Vitthal Kamat before Shirwal
Quote:
-HPCL attached to CCD at Bellur cross
-IOCL at Davanagere (attached with a Kamat thats closed now)
-BPCL Ghar at Ranebennur
-BPCL at the end of Dharwad Bypass on right hand side
-BPCL COCO 4 kms after Dharwad Bypass
-IOCL next to Sankam at Belgaum
-Plenty of outlets once you enter MH
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 19:45   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think this route surely can save quite some time. I would say take that route.

Chalakudy-Palakkad-CBE bypass - Annur - Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-T-Narasipur-Bannur-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Nagamangala-Nelegere-Huliyar-Hiriyur.

I do agree there would be quite many humps of this road. But a constant 80 with hump breaks, would still save quite some time that would take to go from Hosur to Tumkur.

Only point is to get your route perfectly chartered out or else you may lose your way and end-up in a different route. There can be many sign gauges that may prompt you to take a different route. Its paramount to keep the mentioned route.

Route Link : http://goo.gl/dgPBqb

As regards to stay in Hubli, there is new Taj Gateway now.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote