Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th November 2011, 20:03   #31
BHPian

Done all bookings, one night at Lords Inn, Somnath, one at Lion Safari Camp Gir and two nights at Magico Do Mar Diu.
Now I need some advice about travelling:
1) Anyone has any idea about good restaurants on NH8 between Vapi and Rajkot?
2) Any special maintenance of car to be done before we start. I have petrol SX4, 17K kms, last serviced at 10k kms and next one is at 20k (after the trip)?
3) Any car spares to be kept. Apart from changing Tyre I don't know any other "technical" thing?
4) Any other useful tips for the journey?
Will be travelling with wife and kids
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 15:23   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Trip to Saurashtra by road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
4) Any other useful tips for the journey?

Make sure all your car documents are there in your car. These stupid dorks serving in the Gujarat police will keep asking you for one doc or the other just for the heck of it( many of them don't even know to read!!!!). PUC is their favorite and they seem to have a strange fascination for it .
They seem to value it more than the RC book. Wear your seatbelt and ask your co-driver to do the same always. Had a very irritating experience with those morons on the highway yesterday.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2581799 (Route from Somnath(Veraval) to Dwarka/Okha)

Make sure you have a copy of these in your car:
1. Car bill
2. Insurance
3. RC book
4. Your driving license(carry the original always. Until a few months ago, it was ok to carry a duplicate with you. But now its mandatory to have the original license)
5. PUC certificate
6. You service book which contains all Maruti on road emergency numbers.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 15:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dont forget the yellow strip on your right headlight. The Gujarat RTO requires all cars to have this.
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 16:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Dont forget the yellow strip on your right headlight. The Gujarat RTO requires all cars to have this.
The yellow strip on right headlight does it need to be fixed horizontally or vertically ??
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 18:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
The yellow strip on right headlight does it need to be fixed horizontally or vertically ??
Vertically, like this:

Name:  Photo0050.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  217.4 KB

Practically, it does not make any difference to the glare that oncoming traffic faces. These stupid cops will never understand it, all they want to see is that useless strip on the driver's side head lamp.

Just paste a strip of yellow duct tape and you should be good to go. Once you leave Gujarat, simply remove it. That being said, I removed that strip long ago and I never got caught .

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th November 2011 at 18:48.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 19:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Make sure you have a copy of these in your car:
1. Car bill
2. Insurance
3. RC book
4. Your driving license(carry the original always. Until a few months ago, it was ok to carry a duplicate with you. But now its mandatory to have the original license)
5. PUC certificate
6. You service book which contains all Maruti on road emergency numbers.
Please excuse my ignorance but what is this Car bill, listed at #1? Is it the road tax certificate?
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 19:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what is this Car bill, listed at #1? Is it the road tax certificate?

Sorry, my mistake, should have been more clear. Its your car's Purchase Invoice from the showroom i.e proof that you are the owner of the vehicle. The Gujarat police idiots ask for that also, anything to extract money from your pocket!!!! It has happened with me recently, so it would be advisable top keep a copy of it in the car. These idiots tend to play their dirty tricks more with non-Gujarati speakers.

You brought up another thing which I forgot to mention & have a copy of in my car - Road Tax receipt. Not really important, since you have the RC book copy in your car. But I prefer to have the whole set(any paper related to the car which has Govt stamp on it) in my car.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th November 2011 at 19:43.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 07:04   #38
BHPian

@skanchan thanks for the advices. I will make sure all papers are available and also put tape on the headlight.
@everyone, should I get the car serviced before I go or after returning from the trip?
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 07:58   #39
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
@everyone, should I get the car serviced before I go or after returning from the trip?
Yes, it is always advisable to get the service done as you have already covered 17K. This is ensure a trouble free run + better efficiency. Roads at certain stretch are really bad. Also do carry some spare fuses , basic tools, puncture kit, a spare tube for such drives. Also it will be better to checkup wheel balancing & alignment too.

Last edited by v&v : 25th November 2011 at 08:01.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote