Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 14:59   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 286
Thanked: 152 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Update on Thindivanam route.

Avoid this route if you are going by sedan or hatchback. Many stretches suddenly become worst. It was a tiresome drive. Got an earful from my family for coming back in this route.

Anyone from Thiruvannamalai, have any news on when this road will be completed. Its been more than 5 years and there is no real progress on it yet.
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 16:00   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

One option can be:

Tiruvannamalai-Chetpet-Vandavasi-Melmaruvathur (Sothupakkam) -Tambaram
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 13:26   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 66 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Hi

I took the NH45 until before Tindivanam and took a right turn 3kms before Tindivanam towards Gingee and Tiruvannamalai. This was at 8 pm! The route is very bad. There were stretches of road that was very good and I was doing 70-80 kmph. Suddenly the road just vanishes. No sign boards/warnings displayed. I hit the brakes hard but couldnt stop from being tossed up an down. From then on, it was more like 60kmph max on good stretches and preparing for the one too many rough patches. This route is best avoided especially during night.

On return journey, I drove up to Villupuram and then took NH45. Extra 30 kms max but worth it.

At Tiruvannamalai, I stayed at Sparsa Resort which is 5 kms away from Temple. Awesome place with lots of activities like pottery, milking a cow, bullock cart ride, mehendi, swimming pool, games room, tea kadai, foot massage all for free! At about 4k per night, it was a good deal as the rooms were also good and the staff were very courteous.

Thanks
Madhav
maddyoni10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 13:40   #19
BHPian
 
ramanan.skr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 152
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One option can be:

Tiruvannamalai-Chetpet-Vandavasi-Melmaruvathur (Sothupakkam) -Tambaram
Hi Ampere,
do you have any updates on the condition of the route
Polur - Chetpet- Vandavase-Melmaruvathur
--Thanks
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 13:50   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Hi Ampere,
do you have any updates on the condition of the route
Polur - Chetpet- Vandavase-Melmaruvathur
--Thanks

No idea. I have not driven on this stretch. But here is what Gopi mentioned last year.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3413507


Basically the road to Vandavasi should be about OK but not great. No idea about the current condition to Polur. But what I have been hearing is that roads are improving
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 15:43   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Hi Ampere,
do you have any updates on the condition of the route
Polur - Chetpet- Vandavase-Melmaruvathur
--Thanks
I did Chetpet - Vandavasi last weekend as a part of Thiruvannamalai - Chennai drive . Road is fine except for very very few surface irregularities.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 18:25   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 286
Thanked: 152 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Update on Thindivanam route,

ATLAST!!! This route is drivable now. They have laid the entire stretch and you can cruise effortlessly in one hour to thiruvannamalai.

The expansion work is not complete but they have fixed all the broken stretches and also laid alternative small stretches where ever the work is in progress.
klassics45 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 19:32   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 942
Thanked: 721 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Update on Thindivanam route,

ATLAST!!! This route is drivable now. They have laid the entire stretch and you can cruise effortlessly in one hour to thiruvannamalai.

The expansion work is not complete but they have fixed all the broken stretches and also laid alternative small stretches where ever the work is in progress.
Thanks. This is good to know. So far, since this road was very bad, the alternate was to drive via villupuram which is additional 30 kms. But with your update now, it seems we can avoid that.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 19:50   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
ATLAST!!! This route is drivable now. They have laid the entire stretch and you can cruise effortlessly in one hour to thiruvannamalai.
Great update! With the Tindivanam bypass, it should be an easy cruise. That also opens up multiple options for Bangalore-Pondicherry. But still people will prefer the Arcot/Vandavasi option.

But all said and done, great update. I hope see to more people visit the Gingee fort too!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 19:45   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 286
Thanked: 152 Times
Default re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great update! With the Tindivanam bypass, it should be an easy cruise. That also opens up multiple options for Bangalore-Pondicherry. But still people will prefer the Arcot/Vandavasi option.

But all said and done, great update. I hope see to more people visit the Gingee fort too!
It depends on the vehicle. Most of the roads near gingee has been just patched. So when i went in fiesta i didnt find any issues. But this week when i did in my scorpio which is around 1,50,000 kms on odo, found it a bit hard. Probably the suspension is at its last days.
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 23:43   #26
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Hi folks,

I'm planning to drive down to Thiruvannamalai tomorrow. Appreciate any inputs on the road conditions between Tindivanam and TV Malai through Gingee. If this is bad, please suggest an alternate route. Thanks!
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 00:47   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I'm planning to drive down to Thiruvannamalai tomorrow. Appreciate any inputs on the road conditions between Tindivanam and TV Malai through Gingee. If this is bad, please suggest an alternate route. Thanks!
Not sure about the quality. But I think Arcot-Arani-Polur-Thiruvannamalai is good. On the way if you want to you can also visit Padavedu.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 22:58   #28
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure about the quality. But I think Arcot-Arani-Polur-Thiruvannamalai is good. On the way if you want to you can also visit Padavedu.
Thanks a lot ampere. I took the Arani-Polur route and found it quite good all the way!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 23:53   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Thanks a lot ampere. I took the Arani-Polur route and found it quite good all the way!
Some time back did a Vellore temple run and went around many places. During that visit, had a half day run to Padavedu set of temples. Very clean set of roads even from Vellore and amazing set of temples as well. While exploring I did read about a couple more, but could not go.

But the roads around these places have really come on well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 22:51   #30
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Some time back did a Vellore temple run and went around many places. During that visit, had a half day run to Padavedu set of temples. Very clean set of roads even from Vellore and amazing set of temples as well. While exploring I did read about a couple more, but could not go.

But the roads around these places have really come on well.
Yes, but didn't get a chance to visit Padaveedu as it was raining intermittently when I passed the stretch.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries mogambo Route / Travel Queries 389 10th December 2017 22:25
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 89 7th November 2017 14:40
Bangalore Thiruvannamalai mogambo Travelogues 9 13th November 2007 09:20
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks